Sponsored by:

Is this wrong.

Search this Thread

Old 27 April 2020, 03:58 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Is this wrong.

I'm about to install a water temp gauge and the adaptor has just arrived.
if I put the after market sensor in the end it's not leaving much room for the oem 1.

Is the oem one shorter?

*ignore the bolt at the right end. Its loosely in there so that I don't lose it with little ***** about.
Old 27 April 2020, 04:11 PM
Leggygtb
BANNED

Received 52 Likes on 37 Posts

Yes
Old 27 April 2020, 04:14 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

the oem subaru water temp sensor is roughly as long as your aftermarket one on the side... i don't think it will work as intended.

If you want a water temp reading, it is possible to get radiator hose joiner pieces that have a sensor hole in.
Old 27 April 2020, 04:15 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

like this: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/38mm-Auto...s/153879668276
Old 27 April 2020, 04:32 PM
Leggygtb
BANNED

That looks like an oil pressue adaptor to me , they usually have a long pipe at one end to screw in block and oem sender fits one end and aftermarket on centre
Old 27 April 2020, 04:43 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik
the oem subaru water temp sensor is roughly as long as your aftermarket one on the side... i don't think it will work as intended.

If you want a water temp reading, it is possible to get radiator hose joiner pieces that have a sensor hole in.
its my genome dials and don't really want to cut pipes.

Wanted to run both this and factory in the original water temp hole.

Last edited by RobsyUK; 27 April 2020 at 04:46 PM.
Old 27 April 2020, 04:43 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leggygtb
That looks like an oil pressue adaptor to me , they usually have a long pipe at one end to screw in block and oem sender fits one end and aftermarket on centre
genome use same length for both
Old 27 April 2020, 06:26 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

I found a video somewhere where a guy taps and dies into the water cross over pipe and for the life of me can't find it now
another possibility is the block heater hole?

I really rea't want to cut the front pipe if I can help it.
Old 27 April 2020, 07:16 PM
Leggygtb
BANNED

really wouldnt bother, the car already has a temp gauge, its been years since i had an impreza but on my new subaru based car (2018) the water temp can be read via the obd port
I have a p3 gauge the plugs into the obd port and reads oil temp coolant temp etc without any add ons.

google p3 gauges, expensive but good

Last edited by Leggygtb; 27 April 2020 at 07:17 PM.
Old 27 April 2020, 07:59 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by RobsyUK
I found a video somewhere where a guy taps and dies into the water cross over pipe and for the life of me can't find it now
another possibility is the block heater hole?

I really rea't want to cut the front pipe if I can help it.
It's been a while since I looked under my manifold, but IIRC the cross over pipe already has a sensor + boss, which IIRC is for the ECU water temp sensor.

If you don't want to cut the big radiator pipe, how about the little measly one that goes to the heater core (two hoses under the TMIC to/from the firewall)? Might be able to jig something up there that will allow you to fit the sensor. It's only a (from memory) 16mm hose, though, so you'd definitely need a different adaptor.

I know we discussed this previously on another thread, but I would seriously not run the ECU water temp sensor in a tee-piece like that. I am 99% certain that will mess up the temp readings for the ECU, which could lead to all sorts of problems (over-fuelling being one, for example).
Old 27 April 2020, 08:06 PM
Leggygtb
BANNED

It's been a while since I looked under my manifold, but IIRC the cross over pipe already has a sensor + boss, which IIRC is for the ECU water temp sensor.

If you don't want to cut the big radiator pipe, how about the little measly one that goes to the heater core (two hoses under the TMIC to/from the firewall)? Might be able to jig something up there that will allow you to fit the sensor. It's only a (from memory) 16mm hose, though, so you'd definitely need a different adaptor.

I know we discussed this previously on another thread, but I would seriously not run the ECU water temp sensor in a tee-piece like that. I am 99% certain that will mess up the temp readings for the ECU, which could lead to all sorts of problems (over-fuelling being one, for example).
as said before the car reads water temp from the ecu and there are plent of obd2 gauges about
Old 27 April 2020, 08:16 PM
Leggygtb
BANNED

here you go
https://www.p3cars.com/subaru/
i've used one of these for ages, works very well reads all you need and i have added boost etc.
Old 27 April 2020, 08:50 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leggygtb
really wouldnt bother, the car already has a temp gauge, its been years since i had an impreza but on my new subaru based car (2018) the water temp can be read via the obd port
I have a p3 gauge the plugs into the obd port and reads oil temp coolant temp etc without any add ons.

google p3 gauges, expensive but good
I already have the genome gauges. No point buying more but thank you for the input.
Old 27 April 2020, 08:52 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Wasn't going to run the ECU one but the other one next to it.
with it's length it may not be an option any hows.
just wish I saved the video of the guy tapping a new spot on the cross over pipe.
Old 28 April 2020, 10:46 AM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

You could potentially cut the middle out of a coolant hose, and use a joiner with a threaded boss in it. This means you don't interfere with the standard sensor, you have a temperature reading from a different point in the system so two points of monitoring, and if you ever remove it you can just put a standard hose back in and you've not got any drilled holes anywhere etc.
Old 28 April 2020, 11:30 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RetroPug
You could potentially cut the middle out of a coolant hose, and use a joiner with a threaded boss in it. This means you don't interfere with the standard sensor, you have a temperature reading from a different point in the system so two points of monitoring, and if you ever remove it you can just put a standard hose back in and you've not got any drilled holes anywhere etc.
This a **** take?

if you read the thread id actually like to tap a second hole for the aftermarket sensor like a video I've seen and cant seem to find again.

Last edited by RobsyUK; 28 April 2020 at 11:37 AM.
Old 28 April 2020, 11:55 AM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

This a **** take?

if you read the thread id actually like to tap a second hole for the aftermarket sensor like a video I've seen and cant seem to find again.
No **** take, just missed that reading through the thread.
Old 28 April 2020, 08:00 PM
MarkRF
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I’d be cutting the £15 Silicone hose all day every day before drilling and tapping the crossover pipe.

Last edited by MarkRF; 28 April 2020 at 08:02 PM.
Old 29 April 2020, 09:56 PM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

I

cant find the video but like this.
Old 29 April 2020, 10:03 PM
MarkRF
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I’ve no idea how mechanically competent you are mate so apologies if I offend you. But are you aware of the amount of work to remove, drill, tap, clean and refit that pipe vs cutting a £15 hose in half and fitting a fitting a joiner with sender?
Old 03 May 2020, 07:14 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MarkRF
I’ve no idea how mechanically competent you are mate so apologies if I offend you. But are you aware of the amount of work to remove, drill, tap, clean and refit that pipe vs cutting a £15 hose in half and fitting a fitting a joiner with sender?
I know cutting the pipe is the easier option but I really like to have wires hidden, less joints and other unsightly things.
I can tap and die 😃
Old 25 July 2020, 06:57 AM
RobsyUK
Scooby Regular

Just an update.

With Covid and limited access to the tools and wanting the gauges done I opted to fit it in the top raidiator hose. It doesn't look too bad and I've hidden the wires well.

Annoyingly it's weeping where the sensor goes in the hole and now that the lower hose has started to weap too (Felt very soft for a while) I'm going to order a silcone kit and change them all.
Old 25 July 2020, 07:38 AM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Just an update.

With Covid and limited access to the tools and wanting the gauges done I opted to fit it in the top raidiator hose. It doesn't look too bad and I've hidden the wires well.

Annoyingly it's weeping where the sensor goes in the hole and now that the lower hose has started to weap too (Felt very soft for a while) I'm going to order a silcone kit and change them all.
Weeping sensors are annoying, especially coolant as it leaves that ugly furry mess behind.

Can you add some PTFE tape to the thread (assuming that's where it is leaking from)?