Sponsored by:

Health Check & Dyno Done

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2019, 09:48 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Health Check & Dyno Done

So was at TDR today...as you may know..I bought a STI 05 3 weeks back...car was mint..however I discovered I cant down shift to 4th at high speeds.. seems to be a Syncro issue...Seller denies that car has an issue...however I have only done 300 miles in the car..which included the 200mile drive home!

Anyway...moving on...was at TDR today..car has a history with TDR..which was good...as they had carried out a fair amount of work to it in 2015..

They suspect the up pipe maybe leaving and has a small crack but could not check!

Minor issues noted, and 4th gear syncro...Been told to budget £1200 inc vat.

Old 15 August 2019, 03:42 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

glad you went over mate,mark is spot on. thats not a bad price for the gearbox,did you speak to him about tuning?
Old 16 August 2019, 12:48 AM
T5NYW
Scooby Regular

Location: MY99UK-MY02STi-MY99Type R-MY06 T20-MY11 340R-MY05 TYPE25
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Very common uppipe cracked, tends to loose 10% power.

£1200 good price but much nearer £1800 if had DCCD issues.
Best budget/factor a clutch in as "while your there" or throw the old one back in LOL

When was the gearbox oil changed last? Mark does know some of its history and he tested car, so my suggestion below is probably not even valid.

i bought a 2005 dccd model and synco wasnt great and 95% improved by changing Oil, it like dog pee. Do you know what Oil and when it was change? at£65 worth a try first.

Because i give them beans I changed Oil on DCCD models every 18-24 months and never use wing wan woo cheapo oil

IMHO

Tony

regards

Tony
Old 22 August 2019, 09:27 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by the shreksta
glad you went over mate,mark is spot on. thats not a bad price for the gearbox,did you speak to him about tuning?
Hi..

No i did not get a chance to...however I had spoken before I went down over the phone.

I am thinking between TDR & Cheveron at the moment.

Gearbox rebuild will be done before I go down the mapping route..

Been in scotland for a week...so will think this one through once I am back..
Old 22 August 2019, 09:30 AM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by T5NYW
Very common uppipe cracked, tends to loose 10% power.

£1200 good price but much nearer £1800 if had DCCD issues.
Best budget/factor a clutch in as "while your there" or throw the old one back in LOL

When was the gearbox oil changed last? Mark does know some of its history and he tested car, so my suggestion below is probably not even valid.

i bought a 2005 dccd model and synco wasnt great and 95% improved by changing Oil, it like dog pee. Do you know what Oil and when it was change? at£65 worth a try first.

Because i give them beans I changed Oil on DCCD models every 18-24 months and never use wing wan woo cheapo oil

IMHO

Tony

regards

Tony
Hi Tony

Oils were changes last June..also a new clutch was fitted and of last year...so should be good on this front.

I wonder if I can remove the up pipe myself and check it? As TDR said Its not visual due to the heatshield- saying that it made ok power on the dyno? So maybe ok.

Car was with Mark back in 2014 and had 30k on the clock..70k now..Mark had fitted the coilovers, antilift kit and something else...

He had said I cant raise the car..and would be better to sell the wheels and get something less wider...so will see what wheels I ca get- as I would think apart from the rubbing...handling is also effected.

Last edited by SamUK; 22 August 2019 at 09:35 AM.
Old 22 August 2019, 10:04 AM
RetroPug
Scooby Regular

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm guessing the up pipe is standard?
From what I've read there are improvements in spool associated with selecting the correct aftermarket one for your application so if you're going to be mapping might be worth spending extra on a harvey one for your turbo and intended power instead of a replacement std. one that could crack again.
Old 22 August 2019, 10:05 AM
Hustlersalvage
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If the clutch is good now it’ll be fine in next box.
They will more then likely take up pipe of to gain access to the gearbox any way so will probably check it then. Not a lot of point in you getting under it.
1200 quid for a box playing with isn’t a bad price at all espeacilly from a speacilist.

complelty different scale of things but I could have give 150 quid to have a garage swap box on mine and I didn’t because I’ve done them before (10 year ago)
weve broke and replaced double that in parts and it’s still not running right!

By sounds of it if you throw abit more cash at it the car will be faultess and have the history to back it up from a well known company. Adds to resale if ever you get rid as well
Old 22 August 2019, 12:38 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by RetroPug
I'm guessing the up pipe is standard?
From what I've read there are improvements in spool associated with selecting the correct aftermarket one for your application so if you're going to be mapping might be worth spending extra on a harvey one for your turbo and intended power instead of a replacement std. one that could crack again.
Have a Haywood & Scott decat up pipe..think fitted 3 years back
Old 22 August 2019, 12:42 PM
SamUK
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Hustlersalvage
If the clutch is good now it’ll be fine in next box.
They will more then likely take up pipe of to gain access to the gearbox any way so will probably check it then. Not a lot of point in you getting under it.
1200 quid for a box playing with isn’t a bad price at all espeacilly from a speacilist.

complelty different scale of things but I could have give 150 quid to have a garage swap box on mine and I didn’t because I’ve done them before (10 year ago)
weve broke and replaced double that in parts and it’s still not running right!

By sounds of it if you throw abit more cash at it the car will be faultess and have the history to back it up from a well known company. Adds to resale if ever you get rid as well
Yes..that makes sense, I paid £2k for a gearbox rebuild about 5 years back in my 535d e60..but I had kept the car for another 4 years.

Fairly happy that the car is over all good.. just getting quotes based on 4th year syncro, forks seals and anything else that would be replaced at the same time. This is assuming its just the 4th gear syncro...anything more I will deal with at the tine
Old 22 August 2019, 01:47 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Edit: oops, didn't see the H&S up-pipe post above. Ignore me