ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Sti V5 tuning advice please

Search this Thread

Old 29 September 2018, 07:20 PM
Maverick424
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sti V5 tuning advice please

Got a Version 5 Sti, as far as I know everything is stock bar an exhaust system and induction kit.

I love the car, but performance wise it feels pretty dull, not even sure if it would be making standard power but it is otherwise running just fine.

I'm just after some advice tuning wise, im prepared to throw a bit of money at it but dont know anything about states of tune on these.

Figure in my head is that I'd like 400bhp or somewhere in that region with good drivability also a major consideration (its a road going toy, won't be tracked)

So what kind of tune can I get on standard internals + gearbox etc, and what would be required to get 400 or close to it?
Old 29 September 2018, 07:30 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick424
Got a Version 5 Sti, as far as I know everything is stock bar an exhaust system and induction kit.

I love the car, but performance wise it feels pretty dull, not even sure if it would be making standard power but it is otherwise running just fine.

I'm just after some advice tuning wise, im prepared to throw a bit of money at it but dont know anything about states of tune on these.

Figure in my head is that I'd like 400bhp or somewhere in that region with good drivability also a major consideration (its a road going toy, won't be tracked)

So what kind of tune can I get on standard internals + gearbox etc, and what would be required to get 400 or close to it?
forget 400bhp unless you are willing to rebuild the engine (£4k+) and throw in a 6 speed conversion (£1500+) as the current 5 speed will implode not long after 350bhp. a 400bhp turbo will be around £1500 then there is all the supporting mods......

intercooler £300
injectors £200
fuel pump £100
exhaust and headers £1000
induction kit £200
set of brembos from an sti newage £550 as there is no point having a fast car if you cant stop it
decent tyres £500
suspension work £500-£1500
ecu remap £350 or an after market ecu £1500

stick with around 320-340bhp and your current engine/box should be ok if driven with a little sympathy.

Old 29 September 2018, 08:05 PM
Maverick424
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by the shreksta
forget 400bhp unless you are willing to rebuild the engine (£4k+) and throw in a 6 speed conversion (£1500+) as the current 5 speed will implode not long after 350bhp. a 400bhp turbo will be around £1500 then there is all the supporting mods......

intercooler £300
injectors £200
fuel pump £100
exhaust and headers £1000
induction kit £200
set of brembos from an sti newage £550 as there is no point having a fast car if you cant stop it
decent tyres £500
suspension work £500-£1500
ecu remap £350 or an after market ecu £1500

stick with around 320-340bhp and your current engine/box should be ok if driven with a little sympathy.
Thanks for the info, so lets say I aim for the 340hp mark instead. Would a fancy turbo, injectors and ecu get me there? I already have 3" exhaust system (no headers), rcm induction kit. Could I keep the TMIC?
Would it be worth doing the 6 speed upgrade anyway? (think theres at least 3 gearbox rebuld reciepts from previous owners) Do newage gearboxes fit?
Old 29 September 2018, 09:14 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the info, so lets say I aim for the 340hp mark instead. Would a fancy turbo, injectors and ecu get me there? I already have 3" exhaust system (no headers), rcm induction kit. Could I keep the TMIC?
Would it be worth doing the 6 speed upgrade anyway? (think theres at least 3 gearbox rebuld reciepts from previous owners) Do newage gearboxes fit?
your turbo should be ok for that power level.
Yes keep the tmic
shove a 255 walbro on it
decent injectors
Remap

Keep your 5 speed and just upgrade your brakes/suspension.

Make sure you use a reputable company/mapper to remap it
Old 29 September 2018, 09:18 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Slippery slope fella stick to what's been said cause you won't believe the hurdles you'll encounter. Especially in N.I.
Old 01 October 2018, 03:12 PM
Maverick424
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by the shreksta
your turbo should be ok for that power level.
Yes keep the tmic
shove a 255 walbro on it
decent injectors
Remap

Keep your 5 speed and just upgrade your brakes/suspension.

Make sure you use a reputable company/mapper to remap it
Thanks, so been weighing up my options again and now considering getting a JDM Hawk widetrack.
I understand these are fairly tuneable from standard, can you tell me what sort of power I could expect with basic breathing mods and an ecu/remap?
Old 01 October 2018, 03:18 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Thanks, so been weighing up my options again and now considering getting a JDM Hawk widetrack.
I understand these are fairly tuneable from standard, can you tell me what sort of power I could expect with basic breathing mods and an ecu/remap?
jdm hawk...........now your talking serious money

i believe they are twin-scroll turbo and have different headers so you will lose the subaru burble. i would imagine with a few basic mods that 350-370 bhp could be had from it. cracking cars they are mate
Old 01 October 2018, 04:08 PM
Maverick424
Scooby Newbie

Well I could afford to do the 400hp work to my V5, but ultimately i know its money i would never get back. It looks like Hawkeye values have bottomed out or even possibly on the rise, so possibly a wiser way to spend.
Yes I understand the burble isnt there, but ill likely keep my classic tucked away in the shed for when I need a burble fix lol.
But by the sound of things they have a strong engine and gearbox from standard, so I hoping a good reliable power figure will be much more easilly acheivable.
Old 01 October 2018, 04:16 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

400hp in a hawk and 400hp in a classic makes for two VERY different beasts lol.
Old 01 October 2018, 04:18 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Well I could afford to do the 400hp work to my V5, but ultimately i know its money i would never get back. It looks like Hawkeye values have bottomed out or even possibly on the rise, so possibly a wiser way to spend.
Yes I understand the burble isnt there, but ill likely keep my classic tucked away in the shed for when I need a burble fix lol.
But by the sound of things they have a strong engine and gearbox from standard, so I hoping a good reliable power figure will be much more easilly acheivable.
i believe they have the strongest engine made by subaru and that 420-450bhp can be had from it (with a turbo upgrade obviously).

Old 01 October 2018, 07:06 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Received 447 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by LewisScoob
This guy knows

Used to run a hawk and now back in a classic. Two very different cars, won't say one is better than the other, they are just different.

Any particular reason you want 400bhp?

Have a look into the following set up

VF34/35
NewAge intercooler or front mount
Stock injectors they should be yellow440cc
Up pipe
ECULabs ECU

That should make a very quick car. If you went Forged or even NewAge engine you could push it even more. But like others have said you will probably end up breaking a gearbox. The other thing to add is headers and dumpvalve. The ECULabs is a modified stock ECU which offers quite a few features such as MAFless and Launch. I heard the stock intercooler is very restrictive thats why it often gets changed out.
Old 01 October 2018, 07:23 PM
Power Junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You can get 400 from an STI V5, Bigger injectors 550cc min but raised pressure so SX Regulator etc and 255 pump. 2.5/3" full system. STI 8 TMIC, MDX321H Turbo. you will be about there. obviously a Clutch and brake upgrade to handle it too. Mine was running around 420 with this spec, going 2.1 now for peace of mind.
Old 01 October 2018, 07:48 PM
Maverick424
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by LewisScoob
Originally Posted by NOSSY_89
This guy knows

Used to run a hawk and now back in a classic. Two very different cars, won't say one is better than the other, they are just different.

Any particular reason you want 400bhp?

Have a look into the following set up

VF34/35
NewAge intercooler or front mount
Stock injectors they should be yellow440cc
Up pipe
ECULabs ECU

That should make a very quick car. If you went Forged or even NewAge engine you could push it even more. But like others have said you will probably end up breaking a gearbox. The other thing to add is headers and dumpvalve. The ECULabs is a modified stock ECU which offers quite a few features such as MAFless and Launch. I heard the stock intercooler is very restrictive thats why it often gets changed out.
I know the hawks a bit heavier, but how else is it different? I'm thinking at the moment I'd be keen on something a bit newer anyway.
Old 01 October 2018, 08:16 PM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

I know the hawks a bit heavier, but how else is it different? I'm thinking at the moment I'd be keen on something a bit newer anyway.
Just realised you were talking about JDM. Power delivery will be different but if comparing it to the UK version that 0.5ltr feels massively torquey.

Just the way the chassis feels when you're booting it around a corner. Don't get me wrong the Hawk feels more plated. Whether it is thats a different story but the feeling of it is. The classics in general feel more lively but its what you are after. Wouldn't say one is better then the other.

If it came down to it and I had to pick one, it would be a very hard decision. My advice to you would be how do you want it to feel and what do you want out of it. If you want BHP figures or driveability. If you feel its lacking in a certain area then upgrade it. That way you have a car built to your driving specs.
Old 02 October 2018, 08:31 AM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

That's exactly it though, the weight plays a huge part in how the car accelerates, decelerates and changes direction. That coupled with the cabin feeling smaller, tighter and generally louder, more raw. The difference is quite substantial.

I've had both quick classic and newage STI in the past and at one point had them both at the same time. I'm on my 5th classic and I wont be getting rid of it for a LONG time. I doubt I'll have another newage, they are alright for a daily but i wouldn't have one as a toy.

All in my opinion of course and as they say its different strokes for different folks.
Old 02 October 2018, 06:27 PM
Maverick424
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the info guys, ive put a deposit on a JDM Hawk, fly over to look at it on the weekend so I guess thats that for now. I've no plans to get rid of the classic though so I can have best of both worlds.
Old 03 October 2018, 09:25 AM
NOSSY_89
Scooby Regular

Good man