Tuning advice for STI V5 please

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2008, 12:19 PM
bigfella
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning advice for STI V5 please

Hi guys

Currently driving an STI v5 which is pretty much standard at the mo. The only mods I've carried out were a cat back blitz nur spec r exhaust and a forge re-circ top mounted dv.

Purchased an autobahn88 fmic a few months back which is going to be fitted in july, along with a scoobysport downpipe with race cat and de-cat centre pipe. I'm also going to change the dv to a bailey's vta, but i'm unsure of which one to get due to the new fmic pipe work! (any suggestions?)

With these mods in mind, does anyone know what sort of power gains i'm expecting to achieve and what difference will there be in power delivery? will also get an ecu tek remap from local boys at power engineering to accommodate the changes.

thanks!
Old 13 May 2008, 12:44 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

why a VTA - not good for the engine......
Why use PE for a remap - your better using experts like Bob Rawle in North Swindon - I live near you but dont even consider the distance when I know I'll get a better mapped car

I dont think you'll see a significant power hike - Turbo is real limiting factor if its got the original VF28

I have an sti5 with circa 500bbhp - welcome for a ride - I'm in Osterley
Old 13 May 2008, 12:46 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Fangoria what spec is your car and what block are you using? I am at 440bhp at the monent and want to get to 500bhp, so looking for ideas how to get there.

Banny
Old 13 May 2008, 01:00 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Its easy really - Turbo is the main limiting factor, as well as the fuel mix choice

I'm still considering next options as need more power for the Track. Turbo is not responsive enough out of the track bends due to the size of the Turbo.... but once on flow is very good and at least I have no issues at places like Snetterton/Coombe with any Porsche variety..... which is fun when I tell them I only have an exhaust and a front mount (i.e. the only bits they can see)
Note power at G Force - 544bhp at PE a nonsense (I'm talking more realistic power not pub figures like a couple of rollers in this country)

Mine has standard Block
Standard heads
Standard Crank

MD321S Turbo running 1.9 Bar Boost on slightly higher compression with the Omega pistons
Link 10 row
Arrow Rods
Thicker head gasket with stronger bolts
Omega Pistons
740cc Injectors
Mappable Water Injection
APS FMIC
3 inch H&S Downpipe and 3 inch Miltek (Absolutely No Cats!) - Miltek only chosen as its quiet system for track days
Headers - cant remember which ones
Obviously wrapped exhaust/headers
Large K&N Airfilter

Mapped with VPower plus Methanol Mix and full bottle of NF in each fill up plus 50% Methanol in water injection
(Methanol makes a large difference in advance.........).

PPG Helical Gearbox
AP Organic Clutch (Ceramic is not user friendly......)
Exe-TC Suspension with lots of other Suspension mods

I'm sure theres a lot more I'm missing
Old 13 May 2008, 01:06 PM
banny sti
Scooby Senior

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My spec is very similar (view my scooby) and is already mapped for 10% methanol @ 1.7 bar guess it just needs a larger turbo.
What turbos are you considering are they rotated or standard postioned? Sorry for the thread hijack.

Banny
Old 13 May 2008, 01:11 PM
bigfella
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fangoria
Why use PE for a remap - your better using experts like Bob Rawle in North Swindon - I live near you but dont even consider the distance when I know I'll get a better mapped car

I dont think you'll see a significant power hike - Turbo is real limiting factor if its got the original VF28

500bhp ! i just wanted to achieve around 320bhp with these supporting mods. if i go for the re-circ dv, do you recommend any particular make and model that will go straight on to the fmic? heard a lot about bob rawle. if thats what the majority recommend then it's worth checking out. i will definitely give you a shout sometime for that spin! always in isleworth round my mate's place!

Last edited by bigfella; 13 May 2008 at 01:14 PM.
Old 13 May 2008, 01:21 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

I have an STI V

Recently mapped by JGM with SIMTek, Walbro, Full HS, Apexi Induction kit.

On rollers is produced 322BHP and 300 ft/lbs and the difference is night and day. I imagine if you were to roller it you would see 280 standard? All depends though.

Standard intercooler is fine as it is unless damaged, no need to fit the front mount for this sort of power. Save it for a bigger upgrade. Plus you have to start cutting metal!

The remap highlighted other weaknesses with my car like wastegate solenoid and engine sensors. Hopefully be running properly again soon. Ther isn't much that can can keep up with me either it has to be said, other than some of the nut-ball machines on here i would imagine and the bank manager

next stage will probo be forged rods, pistons, from some cheap US importer STI 7 top mount and FP green etc..

I called PE the other day for some advice and the reposnse wasn't great it has to be said... JGM is a top bloke and he is down this way, i'm in sunny Croydon and he can come to you or meet at a rolling road somewhere etc...
Old 13 May 2008, 01:27 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Fangoria

What he said! Although with the better charge temp cooling provided by the FMIC (although you should really have gone for the Hybrid IMHO) you should see the low 300s with the VF28

How much do you want to spend, do you want to minimise risk of the gearbox saying cheerio etc...

Ns04
Old 13 May 2008, 01:34 PM
Fangoria
Scooby Regular

Bigfella - Forge re-circ can be plumbed into any system as far as I know

Bannysti - yes I know your spec - reminded me that I missed loads of items off my list on the fuelling side, not to mention the useless lightened flywheel

GT30 should be good for more power - so you dont use booster or water injection? - maybe your not getting enough advance?
Who maps your car? - mine has been mapped about 50 times in the last 9 years!

I'm going to sell my car this year as I'd have to pump loads of money in again to get up to 600bhp (thats despite the fact I have spent so much on the gearbox and suspension.......). I dont see the point of going to the expense of a rotated Turbo on a 2 litre with a spec like mine just for marginal spool up gain

I'm looking for a nice Evo9 that I'd then take to about 650bhp - that should be good for the track and I'm saying over 600bhp due to the weight gain, given standard they are just over 1400kg's..... and thats 160kg's more than my car
Old 13 May 2008, 01:38 PM
Slick81
Scooby Regular

Dont mean to but in, but everyone iv spoken to do not really recommened PE. Alot of them are people who used to have Ford RS etc, at the time were fine, but as time went on they werent happy with the end results/services.

If you can make the trip up the the M1 Id personally recommend Paul at ZEN, but Simon from JGM is top of the list aswell as they will both give you really good advice and get the best out of your car with your budget etc in mind.
Old 13 May 2008, 01:48 PM
bigfella
Scooby Regular

thanks for all the advice guys. i got a good deal on the fmic so it was a bit hard to turn down! thought it has its advantages aswell as looking great.

just wanted to improve the overall 'breathing' of the car whilst keeping it at cool temps. the price of all the bits & pieces inc fitting is setting me back £900 (excluding re-map).

don't want to spend a great deal more or achieve anything over 320bhp as i only drive the car 10 miles a day and love the ride. it wouldn't be worth spending more on turbo upgrades etc. maybe the next lucky owner can carry it on!

in terms of the dv, just wanted to know if i could fit my current top mounted dv on to the fmic. i was told that i could either purchase an adaptor or purchase a new dv for an earlier scooby which would go straight on.

thanks

Last edited by bigfella; 13 May 2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 13 May 2008, 01:54 PM
bigfella
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by apalmer
JGM is a top bloke and he is down this way, i'm in sunny Croydon and he can come to you or meet at a rolling road somewhere etc...

i used to dj regularly in croydon! whereabouts is he based and does anyone have a contact number please?
Old 13 May 2008, 04:51 PM
apalmer
Scooby Regular

Simon isn't based in croydon he's over maidstone way i believe, i must have confused you there but still closer than swindon etc..

www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk

number is on there, i met him at a Surrey Rolling Road which is probably about equidistant for both of you.

On the bits you have you should easily see 300 and just above no worries, i have a VF28 also. Consider a new MAF before you hook up though or get it checked before hand if you can.. Simon will explain all.

@d