Sponsored by:

Awkward

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2016, 05:06 PM
selhurstscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awkward

I recently sent my Hatch to a local garage to have its annual service, MOT and replace the timing belts and water pump. My wife collected the car from the garage later that day and less than 1 mile from the garage she stopped the car as there was smoke/steam coming from under the bonnet. I called the garage and they arranged for a recovery of the car. During the recovery the driver said to my wife that the car was very low to the ground and he took some bricks from the cab to help the car onto the trailer. As my wife is not mechanically minded and had only recently left hospital she stayed in the recovery cab while this was going on. The car was returned the following day and the garage said that it was just anti freeze that had collected and was then burnt off by the heat of the engine and that nothing was untoward. To be honest, I didn’t believe this explanation and assumed that a pipe had not been fitted correctly causing the leak, but as we had the car back I was prepared to let this go. I like many Scooby owners also enjoy keeping their car in good condition and regularly clean & polish the car most weeks. Last Sunday I noticed a new ding in the driver’s door, I also noticed that the driver’s side sill was also bulging where someone had obviously jacked the car up; I also noticed that under the front of the car 2 scrapes, consistent with hitting something like a recovery car ramp and the front wing was not sitting as it should and needed re-fitting. I was gutted, as the garage I used I know the owner socially and use them as I hoped I had found somewhere that I could trust, as the nearest main dealer is about 30 miles away and to use them I would have to give up what limited holiday I get. I have contacted my “friend” and sent him photos of the damage, and I am amazed at his negative response by claiming that the car has been hit & it’s not jack damage, the recovery guy is also denying all knowledge but has told me it will cost £180 to be fixed. This initial quote is laughable as to repair a door sill will be significantly more than that without the repair and re-spray to the front bumper and he wants to do the job on the cheap, which I am not happy about. This raises two issues, the repairs, which would be the best way to manage this sorry tale without having to resort to solicitors and SCC and also how awkward it will be when I come into contact with him socially.

Old 16 March 2016, 05:22 PM
RAF1
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you will struggle to prove the damage was caused by the garage / recovery driver as they can deny all knowledge as the car has left their premises so whats to say it didnt happen in your ownership. Or was there before you handed the car in for work (not saying it was).
Old 16 March 2016, 05:31 PM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Feel gutted for you pal not nice this is the exact reason why I won't let anyone else touch my scoob and will never leave it with any1 regardless
Old 16 March 2016, 05:34 PM
selhurstscooby
Scooby Regular

I understand how they could deny all knowledge and claim it has nothing to do with them, but the evidence is there for all to see, but any reputable garage would try and deal with this matter professionally. Or have I just hit the nail on the head....reputable & professional
Old 16 March 2016, 07:04 PM
wrx300scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Gutted for you, I hope you get a good outcome although from what you have posted it looks unlikely
Old 16 March 2016, 08:15 PM
Comboflip
Scooby Regular

Just don't use that garage again.As for the damage it's impossible to prove, it was either one that had done it.Sorry to say it but it was up to your wife or who ever went to collect the car to see the damage there and then,once you happen to take the car back with no body damage comments that's there proof it was not them unfortunately
Old 16 March 2016, 08:53 PM
stamina_daddy
Scooby Regular

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Bloody nightmare.
I feel for you.
I've had a mechanic friend for years who I'm going to finally stop using.
He was absolutely fine for years and couldn't fault him.
But last few jobs on my scooby he was very slack.
He changed my uppipe and left it blowing at the joint.
He changed the cambelt and water pump etc and he did it a tooth out on both sides.he then left my car under a tree and birds crapped all over it and it's stained the paintwork.
Then the final straw,he changed my gearbox but put the old one in the boot and all the old gearbox oil seeped out into the sparewheel well ruining the carpets etc.
He works for a garage but he's always in a rush and works like a dog.
Safe to say I've had enough.
Old 16 March 2016, 09:03 PM
Khandaris
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Comboflip
Just don't use that garage again.As for the damage it's impossible to prove, it was either one that had done it.Sorry to say it but it was up to your wife or who ever went to collect the car to see the damage there and then,once you happen to take the car back with no body damage comments that's there proof it was not them unfortunately
I actually had something similar happen to my motorcycle when I took it for an MOT.

Left the bike with them for a few days. Went to pick it up, when it was raining so I didnt do any thorough checks, just on and drove it away.

A week later I uncovered it, and on the fairing under the seat, there is a distinct hole (fairing was black in that place so not noticable at a glance) which is the right height for another motorcycle handlebar. Looks clearly like they have stored it away, put another bike next to it and cracked the fairing.

I did have a picture of the bike literally 1 day before I took it to them. So I showed them this picture and the damage.. but because I didnt say or see anything before I picked it up, they accused me of doing it!

Some real cowboys out there. It kinda goes to say that its always worth (if you are super paranoid) taking pictures before you drop your car off, and examining it thoroughly before collecting it, or paying anything towards the bill..
Old 18 March 2016, 10:14 PM
WRXrowdy
Scooby Regular

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Reputable garages are just as bad, took a Cavalier to a main dealer for a service once, when I collected it there was a scrape down the side of the car, from the front of the drivers door to the end of the back bumper. I hadn't even left the premises before I complained. The service manager came out and had a look, and five minutes later came out with a scrap of paper saying that the damage was on the vehicle when it came in.

I had asked them to investigate why the heater fan had stopped working, telling them that it was probably the fan motor. I was charged an hours labour for them to report that it was probably the fan motor, but unable to confirm without investigating further, and charged an hours labour for a brake light bulb change.

I phoned vauxhall hq and had a right old rant but didn't hear any more of it, although the dealer did lose the franchise shortly after.
Old 18 March 2016, 10:38 PM
Autotweek
Former Sponsor

I think i would lose the plot with gear box in my boot. But alot of mechanics are like that, hence the saying never buy a mechanics car.

Originally Posted by stamina_daddy
Bloody nightmare.
I feel for you.
I've had a mechanic friend for years who I'm going to finally stop using.
He was absolutely fine for years and couldn't fault him.
But last few jobs on my scooby he was very slack.
He changed my uppipe and left it blowing at the joint.
He changed the cambelt and water pump etc and he did it a tooth out on both sides.he then left my car under a tree and birds crapped all over it and it's stained the paintwork.
Then the final straw,he changed my gearbox but put the old one in the boot and all the old gearbox oil seeped out into the sparewheel well ruining the carpets etc.
He works for a garage but he's always in a rush and works like a dog.
Safe to say I've had enough.
Old 18 March 2016, 11:26 PM
nikon-man
Scooby Regular

Gutted for you

how long had you had the car back from the garage before you noticed the damage ??

never trust anyone.... when my car goes in for anything they don't even clean it for me as I know that they will look after it as they know I will look closely when I pick it up etc...
Old 19 March 2016, 09:46 AM
south_scoob
Scooby Regular

As said you have to point out any damage there and then to the garage owner. Otherwise people would claim all sort of damages that happen after. Unless the person that did the damage on your car admits it(unlikely) your stuffed. Its like inspecting a expensive item on delivery. The couriers wont payout damages if its signed for in good condition.