Sponsored by:

Cossiekiller at the ring!!

Search this Thread

Old 10 May 2001, 12:04 AM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LOL @ You muppets!!!!
As the lads have said, I was following the car with the intention of filming it. I never had any intention of passing it, it's not a race.

Stef.
Old 10 May 2001, 12:16 AM
bennetm
Scooby Regular

Video is pretty awesome and a good buy!
That cozzie was a bag of sh**e!

My favorite is the confused biker! Stef waht mods does the beast have and which DV is it? Just been chatting to Glen(4) and he's sure one of our mates was doing double figures in a Testarossa on the ring! But he drives like a *****!

MB
Old 10 May 2001, 10:05 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

Talking

Anybody who has not seen this video really ought to get themselves a copy, seeing a UK turbo blowing away Porkers, superbikes and a 400bhp cosworth is superb , it's obvious that power is not what it's all about, kinda makes most people's reason for buying an Sti (sixty odd more horsepower) seem a bit lame , do yourself a favour and watch it

glen
Old 10 May 2001, 10:53 AM
Biffo
Scooby Regular

Glen4
You must have been watching a different video to me then
Don`t get me wrong as the video is really good and Stef`s driving is even better.
There is no way that the Cossie was "Blown Away"!
The Cossie (2WD) left him for dead on the straights .
On the bends then the Scooby (4WD) closed the gap until the next straight and so on.
I think to "Blow" another car away.....YOU NEED TO PASS IT FIRST!!!!!!!
Nuff Said
Uncle Biff
Old 10 May 2001, 11:05 AM
glen4
Scooby Regular

I think you'll find, if the cossie hadn't been looking for a place to crash on each corner the scooby would've been closer and blown him, just witness the fact he couldn't get by the westfield but when the westfield was behind trying to keep up it was pretty soon a small spec in the rear view mirror

'nuff said

glen
Old 10 May 2001, 11:15 AM
harj
Scooby Regular

I was there lads, and I think you will find that Stef eased back on the bends as he only wanted to catch the whole lap on Camera, if he wanted to pass the Cossy he could have done within the first 6 corners.

On the straights the Cossy ruled!! but remember on the bends which the Ring is ultimatly made of is where a car and driver really perform.
Old 10 May 2001, 11:40 AM
Mike Rainbird
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

My God harj,
You posted a statement that I agree with ("car and driver perform" comment)! What's a matter you going all sensible in your old age?

No, let me guess, someone else is posting using your password...
LOL
Mike R
Old 10 May 2001, 01:09 PM
Kevin Groat
Scooby Regular

Cool

Video is ace, agree with the comments about the cossie, it looked so out of shape on a lot of the corners - maybe Stef didn't pass because he had no idea what line the cossie would take exiting the corners ! in its defence though it did set off like **** from a shovel when it got through the corners.

Question for the guys that went out there - what's the setup at the ring - is it open to all traffic ? meeting buses and trucks at high speed must be a bit worrying. Most of the slow traffic seemed to stick/move to the right hand side of the track - is this how it's meant to work ? Don't know if I'd have trusted the bikers as much as Stef did - it's far too easy on a fast bike to forget what's behind you.

Kevin.
Old 10 May 2001, 01:57 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs up

Kevin

It's a public toll road so you must be road legal, it's one way of course and that's it.

Go as fast as you want but if you crash you'll be charged for damage to the circuit, towing and air ambulance etc.

For slower traffic, you'll just have to treat it like any slow traffic on a public road or track day - just be careful and vigilant.

There are look-outs/marshals to warn for dangers so your not completely on your own.

F
PS I saw quite a few bikers who had thier head in hands sat by the crashed bikes.....
Old 10 May 2001, 02:14 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

Glen4

Power is good, and fun as we know, but I took a ride in a std MX5 that was eating up more exotic cars with ease. Knowledge and driving skill can make up quite a deficit in power on the ring.

F
Old 10 May 2001, 02:29 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Again a thumbs up from me

Other traffic awareness must have been all the more difficult because the rear view mirror (mirror cam!) couldn't be used for most of the video.

I know <I>I</I> would have had difficulty keeping track of those bikers with just my side mirrors.

Rich
Old 10 May 2001, 05:24 PM
Scotsman
Scooby Regular

Video arrived yesterday and was superb

Stef - any previous posts that have the spec of your car? Sounds wonderful (compared to my standard MY99).

Is the ring 'free' then? Apart from when things go wrong - or if a toll road - how much was it? and did it cost per lap?

Once again, superb video and excellent driving m8.
Old 10 May 2001, 05:32 PM
Mr.Cookie
Scooby Regular

Smile

£7 a blat £75 for a 12 lap pass, and £350 for a season ticket IMSMC

Si
Old 10 May 2001, 09:38 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

Driving the ring at real speed (and by that i mean sub 8:30's) is down in the main to knowing where you are going and having a stable and predictable car under you.

It's not like any other circuit where taking big risks goes relatively unpunished. If you get it badly wrong at the ring you can die, it's really that simple.

Stef, Harj and I did the convoy laps to get some video footage, if we got split in traffic, as did happen with our 3 way convoy we just regrouped then continued.

On the first trip Stef was a lot faster than me for a few reasons, mainly down to the fact he learned the track quickly and managed to do many more runs than me. I had a few engine and suspension issues too but the main reason was knowledge of the place.

When Stef left me in his mirror cam shot (which is fun to watch) it was simply a case of him being prepaired to push more than me as i didnt know the track enough to take the car close to its limits, i dont have an ego big enough to kill myself over someone being faster at that particular point in time.

On our second trip i had my car pretty well sorted and also spent some time watching the video to try and memorise the track better. You'll see a big speed diference on the 2nd video. Stef and my convoy run is pretty mind bogling when you think we are both still novices round the ring. There are places i hold Stef up and places he holds me up, it makes interesting watching.

Stef sure knows how to make an Impreza fly round the ring, literally! My setup has far more untapped potential, it is definately only a matter of time before i will be putting in sub 8 minute laps as my knowledge increases, i think Stef is very close to the limit he can go with an Impreza, which is a remarkable thing to say after his limited time on track there.

The video is definately the best value for money in car video of an Impreza you can buy, the 2nd video should be something very special!
Old 10 May 2001, 10:45 PM
john catania
Scooby Regular

Question

Stef

I saw a clip of a video from the ring, shown to me on a PC by Mark at Tyres Northampton. Can the clips be picked up from the net? It was two Porches coming over a rise, followed closely by a scoob with on board camera.

Cheers.
Old 11 May 2001, 12:25 PM
MrWood
Scooby Regular

Cool

You'll find a link to these video's on a previous thread. Try a search for nurburg etc.
If you can't find em, email me and I'll send them to you!
gw9@ntlworld.com
Old 11 May 2001, 01:31 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Hi guys.
The thread with the clips can be found here..