Sponsored by:

2008 WRX STI Prodrive beware on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 22 January 2015, 11:18 PM
Pyroman
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 WRX STI Prodrive beware on Ebay

Apologies if this is not the right forum as i have never posted anything before! Just found plenty of great advice on this site over the last few years so thought i would contribute for the sake of other enthusiasts.
Anyone looking to buy a blue 2008 wrx sti prodrive PPP for sale on ebay (in holyhead wales) then be please be cautious. I have looked at a car today (spent months trying to find one) and sadly after a 6 hour train journey (only bought a one way ticket!!!) it turned out that it has been involved in an accident and been fully resprayed. It is not shown on HPI and although the respray is ok (ish), it is not perfect. Hopefully anyone looking at it will see that at some point it has been damaged and repaired but you need to have a keen eye and your wits about you before buying one like it. I traveled half way across the UK, spent over £300 on train tickets and £20 on an HPI check thinking i was buying a "pristine" vehicle. Unfortunately it was not!!! I am sure the seller who seems like a genuine guy and is now fully aware of the damage and respray, will give an honest description if asked.
If anyone knows of one for sale (that's not been involved in an accident or resprayed) then please let me know as i have come home today truly gutted after a round the UK trip. This would have been my 4th Scooby (two classics and a blobeye wagon) but i will have to wait a bit longer. I did test drive it though and wow what a machine!
Old 22 January 2015, 11:20 PM
Pyroman
Scooby Newbie

Actually it looks like i have posted before according to my profile that just popped up but it must have been a long while ago.
Old 22 January 2015, 11:24 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A link to the car would be useful.
Old 22 January 2015, 11:32 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

This one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMP...item4d2af8623b
Old 22 January 2015, 11:44 PM
Pyroman
Scooby Newbie

Unfortunately yes. It looked and sounded so good until i got there. I don't think the seller even realized until i pointed out all the spray work and repairs to him.
Old 23 January 2015, 07:30 AM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

£300 on train tickets???
Old 23 January 2015, 07:39 AM
Matt_STi
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just asked them the question has this been in a crash or previously had any bodywork done. Be interesting to see what they say.
Old 23 January 2015, 08:01 AM
Pyroman
Scooby Newbie

Well £300 was about it but it was taxi to essex station £10. essex station to euston £12 virgin train to holyhead £80 holyhead back to euston £94 euston to essex £12 taxi home £10. Plus the hpi check £20 and foolishly i Put my scooby on temp insurance so it was covered when i swapped to the new one £88. Would have been cheaper if i had booked return tickets but i was sure i was going to be driving back with a huge smile on my face!
Old 23 January 2015, 08:43 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by huzzy1
£300 on train tickets???
You've obviously not got a train recently
Old 23 January 2015, 03:24 PM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

I went from West London to mid Wales pick up my 22B 2 years ago for £34. I also went from West London to Torquay 2 months ago for £30.
Old 23 January 2015, 03:33 PM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Two years ago has no relevance, and you got lucky with that Torquay ticket. Was £154 to go from London to Liverpool today, one way.
Old 23 January 2015, 03:43 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Can I ask if you made an offer based on what you'd found?
Old 23 January 2015, 03:47 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Matt_STi
I just asked them the question has this been in a crash or previously had any bodywork done. Be interesting to see what they say.
Well if there is nothing on the HPI they will most likely say no, it's a case of a couple of grand or be truthful...
Old 23 January 2015, 03:50 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pyroman
Well £300 was about it but it was taxi to essex station £10. essex station to euston £12 virgin train to holyhead £80 holyhead back to euston £94 euston to essex £12 taxi home £10. Plus the hpi check £20 and foolishly i Put my scooby on temp insurance so it was covered when i swapped to the new one £88. Would have been cheaper if i had booked return tickets but i was sure i was going to be driving back with a huge smile on my face!
Hope you were going to do a bank transfer and not a cash payment all that way was you not tempted to haggle on price after what you showed them?
Old 23 January 2015, 04:12 PM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
Two years ago has no relevance, and you got lucky with that Torquay ticket. Was £154 to go from London to Liverpool today, one way.
Even if you book in advance? Surely if you know you are travelling then you would pre book your ticket????
Old 23 January 2015, 04:18 PM
Kwik
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by XDevil666
Hope you were going to do a bank transfer and not a cash payment all that way was you not tempted to haggle on price after what you showed them?
That's what I was thinking. I'm sure he must have, just in case the seller (either gutted or lying) realised its actual value.
Old 23 January 2015, 05:42 PM
Pyroman
Scooby Newbie

No went with cash and even after i pointed out the damage etc he wouldnt budge on price (had agreed 11350). I only booked a single as spoke many times on phone at great length even asking about possible paint work issues or minor blemishes you would notice when polishing etc (we all know the marks on ours cars) but only told that it had a minor penny size dent on drivers door! It was a gamble and i lost!
Old 23 January 2015, 10:32 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

what damage did you spot on the car?

looks good on the photos too.

have you had a look at this one...
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi..._old?logcode=p

only at Nothampton.. with just over 50k miles
Old 24 January 2015, 11:49 AM
Pyroman
Scooby Newbie

Hi yes it does look good on photos and looks good in the flesh too but it has had a complete respray and there are the usual paint (grease spot) imperfections and pin head paint issues with some dulling on some areas of bumpers etc. The nearside has taken a whack but not sure how hard. You can see the tiny sanding swirl marks in areas on the front and rear wings where it just wasnt flattened perfectly before the filler was painted. The front nearside wing overhangs the bumber join by a couple of mm whereas the other side is straight. Other than that it did look good but was not going to pay the agreed price for a damaged resprayed car! I may have paid less and taken the risk that the repairs and paint will hold up over time but the seller was not going to take any less. He reckons he was offered 11K as a part ex but i would have only been looking around the 10.5k mark and even then it was slightly high miles. It is still advertised as pristine with loving owners and full receipts etc. Its just missing the receipt for the damage repair and the details of the owner that clearly didnt love it as much!!! I have seen the one you sent me link to (thanks) but i am trying to hold out for a blue one and at that price would really want a prodrive pack too!
My search continues....................
Old 24 January 2015, 09:04 PM
scubbay
Scooby Regular

The multi coloured fer-nominal advert was a warning on it's own
Old 25 January 2015, 09:26 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Pyroman
Hi yes it does look good on photos and looks good in the flesh too but it has had a complete respray and there are the usual paint (grease spot) imperfections and pin head paint issues with some dulling on some areas of bumpers etc. The nearside has taken a whack but not sure how hard. You can see the tiny sanding swirl marks in areas on the front and rear wings where it just wasnt flattened perfectly before the filler was painted. The front nearside wing overhangs the bumber join by a couple of mm whereas the other side is straight. Other than that it did look good but was not going to pay the agreed price for a damaged resprayed car! I may have paid less and taken the risk that the repairs and paint will hold up over time but the seller was not going to take any less. He reckons he was offered 11K as a part ex but i would have only been looking around the 10.5k mark and even then it was slightly high miles. It is still advertised as pristine with loving owners and full receipts etc. Its just missing the receipt for the damage repair and the details of the owner that clearly didnt love it as much!!! I have seen the one you sent me link to (thanks) but i am trying to hold out for a blue one and at that price would really want a prodrive pack too!
My search continues....................

If I'd of know then what I knew now when I bought my car, I could have had a Silver 330s at £21k with 18k miles.
I paid £24k for a white car.. which I wanted.

For £1500 I could have had the Silver car and had it wrapped in any colour i wanted....... WHITE.... or in your car BLUE.
I'd go to these who did my wroof rapp
http://pwpro.co.uk/vinyl-wrapping

So if you see the right car for the money.. in a colour that's not your taste... get it wrapped
Old 25 January 2015, 10:22 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by huzzy1
Even if you book in advance? Surely if you know you are travelling then you would pre book your ticket????
How do you know you are booking in advance to look at a car. As we know, all cars are flying out of the door and traders are calling up at 7am to put deposits down, so people dont have chance to ring and say 'yes i want to come and have a look ill book my advanced train ticket for a weeks time'
Old 25 January 2015, 10:22 AM
Trinity
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by salsa-king
If I'd of know then what I knew now when I bought my car, I could have had a Silver 330s at £21k with 18k miles.
I paid £24k for a white car.. which I wanted.

For £1500 I could have had the Silver car and had it wrapped in any colour i wanted....... WHITE.... or in your car BLUE.
I'd go to these who did my wroof rapp
http://pwpro.co.uk/vinyl-wrapping

So if you see the right car for the money.. in a colour that's not your taste... get it wrapped
Ive been thinking about getting the roof wrapped Black on my Audi Black Edition, what did you pay Salsa? was it a good shiney finish that looks like paint?
Old 26 January 2015, 07:11 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

£150
I went for the satin/mat finish. didn't want shiney
Old 26 January 2015, 08:49 AM
huzzy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trinity
How do you know you are booking in advance to look at a car. As we know, all cars are flying out of the door and traders are calling up at 7am to put deposits down, so people dont have chance to ring and say 'yes i want to come and have a look ill book my advanced train ticket for a weeks time'
Well of course you know in advance you are looking at a car? You ring up, make an arrangement to view it then go with the cash with a hope of driving it away. I understand what your saying though.

I suppose my situation was different as the past 2 cars I've looked at haven't been the 'run of the mill' Impreza's so I knew their provenance.