Just joined up, looking for a nice classic wagon

Search this Thread

Old 23 December 2014, 02:56 PM
Richair743
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Just joined, looking for a wagon. Edit now have an STI v2

Hi folks,

Just joined up as I'm currently on the hunt for a decent classic turbo wagon to use as a daily, as I need something a little more practical than my current mk2 Golf GTI. I'm an obsessive petrol head and have owned lots of interesting performance cars and as I'm an engineer I carry out ALL of my own maintenance. I'm going into the impreza ownership with my eyes open and I'm no stranger to them, as I helped my old man find a lovely turbo 2000 around ten years ago.

I'm after a car that's been very well maintained so I can pick up where the previous owner (or their garage) left off without having to catch up with too many put off jobs. I'm no stranger to rusty jap car bolts and blow torches!! Lol. I want a clean car with minimal rust and if possible one that has already been well undersealed, so I'm not scratching around at the bottom end of the market. I'd rather not buy a car with too many mods with exception to a few 'parts bin' improvements as I will be occasionally using the car for work so need to use a mainstream insurer.

If you know of anything going, let me know please I'm based in Shrewsbury, West Midlands.

From what I've seen of the forum so far it looks like a great club so I hope I'll be sticking around.

Cheers all,
Richard

Last edited by Richair743; 03 January 2015 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Now found a car
Old 23 December 2014, 07:03 PM
DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi and welcome,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.
Old 23 December 2014, 07:18 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Hi and welcome,
If you need any help with insurance at all then please feel free to drop me a line.
Regards,
Dan.

Nice tact.
Old 23 December 2014, 09:54 PM
Dirk Diggler 75
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DAN@ADRIAN FLUX
Hi and welcome,
Regards,
Dan.

Lol,he ain't bought one yet ...
Old 23 December 2014, 10:19 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I know of one that might be for sale. It's my old wagon, UK Turbo in Mica red, think it's just under 80k miles. It's a really nice car, I sold it earlier this year and had it here the other day for a service as I offered to keep it done for the new owner. Still no signs of rust coming through on the rear arches and it's still on it's original paintwork, only thing that's been painted is the front bumper. No accident damage. Interior is superb etc engine runs perfectly. Looks amazing when it's all clean, he pulled up with it and I'd forgotten how fresh it looks. There really isn't many like it out there. Owner mentioned he might be selling in the new year as I'd asked him to let me know. I'd buy it back in a heart beat if I had the spare funds. If you're interested I can pass on his number via PM. But I'll text him first to see if he doesn't mind obviously.
Old 24 December 2014, 08:13 AM
Richair743
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies chaps. Dan@flux I insure my Porsche 951 through you guys but I'm afraid I won't be coming through you if and when I buy a scoob as I find the buisness cover always makes you guys uncompetitive. Me and the other half have a few policies with Direct Line so they tend to give us prices and cover no one else can match I'm afraid. I've always had good service from you guys though

Thanks James, a mica red one would be nice! I'll PM you my details just in case he is serious about a sale.

Cheers!
Old 03 January 2015, 06:41 PM
Richair743
Scooby Regular

Well I found one! Today I picked up a nice low mileage STI V2 wagon for very sensible money it needs a few bits doing and the paint isn't that great on the roof and bonnet, but as a daily I can live with that as the rest of the car is very tidy. It's done very few miles in the UK so the underside is pretty much pristine, which is just what I was looking for. It has a load of history from Japan which is unusual so I'm pretty confident the 57k miles on the clock is genuine, although the km's were converted to miles (naughty naughty) soon after import so it's likely some may have gone walkies but it drives and feels very much like a low mileage car

I have a few minor issues to address and I plan on changing the skirts for original unpainted items, will probably change the wheels for OEM 16's as I'm not a huge fan of the Prodrive's and the silly exhaust will be changed too. The car is otherwise standard which is nice. A new AFM will be going on too.

Here's a couple of pics:

Rich
Old 03 January 2015, 07:24 PM
taylor85
Scooby Regular

I like that !
Old 03 January 2015, 07:49 PM
crispyshark
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nice one! Have fun with it. I have a newage wagon which brings me mucho joy! What exhaust is that on it at present? Prodrive on mine is perfect to live with but will prob be a little bit more rorty when I decat the system this year.

Am sure you already have your insurance sorted but my recommendation is Sky. Too much hassle with flux over the years.....plus hijacking a thread is pretty cr*p in my opinion!
Old 03 January 2015, 10:04 PM
lordharding
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is only one man for insurance

Some come him the God of the car insurance world

Gary Molson
At kieth Michaels

£70 cheaper then my yearly RFL for my Greenwagon

Old 03 January 2015, 10:12 PM
Richair743
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm with one of the mainstream insurers as most of them don't seem to be too fussed about imports today which is handy, so £330 fully comp for 8k miles. That's around £150 more than my golf but that's by far the cheapest car I've insured (I remember being 19 really wanting a mk2 GTI and no one would insure me!!! Lol).

I'm not sure what exhaust is on the car to be honest, but I do know the downpipe is a janspeed and looks very well made. I'm thinking of replacing the system with a Prodrive so thanks for the feedback; I'll be keeping an eye on ebay and on here for one as it looks like they come up fairly regularly.

Hopefully this car will soon be looking very clean and driving as it should
Old 04 January 2015, 01:32 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Rich. how do you know that it is an STI? This isn't a trick question btw, and I asking rather than telling someone who may already know.

Unfortunately the V2 'Wagon is the easiest to fake and your car is covered in non-original 'STI stuff'...
Old 04 January 2015, 01:42 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Seeing as Im sharing my wisdom, Id suggest avoiding AF at all costs and contacting Gary Moulson (Gary Moulson, not just 'Gary') at Keith Michaels.
Old 04 January 2015, 09:12 AM
Richair743
Scooby Regular

Hi GC8, I'm often in the front engine Porsche forum on PH, TIPEC and PCGB so I think we may have spoken before

Upon viewing the car I cross-referenced all of the numbers which do match a V2 STI, although I understand the same numbers can appear on some stock WRX wagons (thanks Subaru!!...). It has the correct red-top inlet and strut brace, although I accept these could have been added. Overall it does appear to me to be the genuine article and had I have not been confident I would have walked away.

It feels good for 260ps though, whereas the early wagons only have 220 I believe and it's certainly more healthy than that! Although not quite on the same page as my breathed-on 951

Edit: also forgot to add it has the IC spray and correct Nardi red-stitched wheel and ****. Sadly it's missing the front STI seats though as the previous owner binned them (!?) due to *** burns, but the rest of the alcantara trim is intact so I'll be on the hunt for a replacement set of seats. It currently has newage WRX seats which are quite comfy but are not agreeing with my OCD.

Last edited by Richair743; 04 January 2015 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04 January 2015, 03:47 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The applied model number is the same as the C2-Series GF8 WRX, as you say. This is because it wasn't really an STI in as much as it doesn't share the engine or features like the V3> 'Wagons do (I cant remember whether it has an alloy bonnet and wishbones, but I believe not).

Im not nearly as knowledgeable as I used to be about Classic Imprezas now, as my interest has reverted to FrontRunners (and I cant remember much about those either, compared to what I used to know).

The transmission code may help to identify it as a V2 STI but I cant remember whether it was a standard part. The engine was a standard Saloon 260PS type complete with TD05 and Z4 ECU. If it still has these then its an indication but certainly not proof.

When you check the transmission code beware of some of the information on the internet. The 'Catherine & Ken' site is full of misleading errors and these have been copied by lots of other sites. At the time of writing it was really hard to find anything out about JDM models and its a great effort, but full of mistakes which have passed into lore...

V2 STIs didn't have red painted inlet manifolds and Im not sure about the intercooler spray either...

Simon

Last edited by GC8; 04 January 2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04 January 2015, 04:39 PM
jameswrx
Scooby Regular

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

One of the trickiest things to fake on the wagon is the seats, being as the rear seat is wagon specific. A normal wrx wagon of that age would have nasty blue coloured seats. The Sti should be black edged (more drk grey actually) with a grey'ish centre.

Only things I'd say are the rear sticker isn't the correct one and a V2 usually has the wing badges. But again both not exactly hard to have been messed with.

Doesn't the Rev counter go up higher?

Last edited by jameswrx; 04 January 2015 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04 January 2015, 05:41 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Wong badge too IIRC. It should be a pink i, not a pink Pleiades. Im sure that you know that it has the wrong wheels and Im not sure whether it should have the light covers - the STI 555 'Wagon certainly did, but Im not sure about the others.

As mentioned above, the seats are hard to fake and Id be suspicious if the rears had been 'thrown away' too. Is the upper spoiler genuine?

Simon
Old 04 January 2015, 06:00 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richair743

I have a few minor issues to address and I plan on changing the skirts for original unpainted items, will probably change the wheels for OEM 16's as I'm not a huge fan of the Prodrive's and the silly exhaust will be changed too. The car is otherwise standard which is nice. A new AFM will be going on too.

Rich
Sounds like a good plan, makes a refreshing change from a newbie joining and not asking how to get 500bhp from there Impreza. You Sound like the sort of enthusiast the Subaru scene needs.

Car will look great with a little TLC.
Old 04 January 2015, 06:12 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi GC8, I'm often in the front engine Porsche forum on PH, TIPEC and PCGB so I think we may have spoken before

Upon viewing the car I cross-referenced all of the numbers which do match a V2 STI, although I understand the same numbers can appear on some stock WRX wagons (thanks Subaru!!...). It has the correct red-top inlet and strut brace, although I accept these could have been added. Overall it does appear to me to be the genuine article and had I have not been confident I would have walked away.

It feels good for 260ps though, whereas the early wagons only have 220 I believe and it's certainly more healthy than that! Although not quite on the same page as my breathed-on 951

Edit: also forgot to add it has the IC spray and correct Nardi red-stitched wheel and ****. Sadly it's missing the front STI seats though as the previous owner binned them (!?) due to *** burns, but the rest of the alcantara trim is intact so I'll be on the hunt for a replacement set of seats. It currently has newage WRX seats which are quite comfy but are not agreeing with my OCD.

http://www.type-ra.com/what-model-is-my-impreza/

http://www.type-ra.com/impreza-timeline/

http://www.type-ra.com/my94-impreza-...sion-brochure/
Old 04 January 2015, 07:03 PM
Richair743
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the info guys, really useful!

It does have the correct rear grey alcantara and black nylon seats, with matching grey alcantara trim in the door cards all round; the previous owners story regarding the front seats checks out as there's a small *** burn on the drivers door card. There's no evidence to suggest any of the trim has been buggered about with so I'm confident it's all original bar the drivers chairs of course. The upper spoiler is also original and still has the small STI sticker intact.

Cross referencing all the numbers it is the real deal, but I'm aware that the differences over an above a regular WRX are fairly limited on the V2 wagon so it's maybe not quite as special as a later GF8 STI... Certainly it doesn't have alloy 'bones or bonnet and I think these were a V3 addition. From my research all STI V2's did have the red inlets, it was the V1's that didn't have the red paint. What's going on inside the block is anyone's guess without cracking it open, but tinternet suggests the wagon STI motors still had some nice internals over and above the WRX. Who knows eh!?..

The numbers match up perfectly with these lifted from the Type-RA site:
WRX SPORTS WAGON STi VERSION II GF8C58D TY752VB3FA EJ20GDW4NE 260 5 Speed

The fog lamp caps are the correct type, but I'm already aware the drivers one has the wrong decal fitted (the passenger side has the correct original decal) so a new set have already been ordered.

The car is currently up on stands and I've started stripping bits off to change the timing belts, tensioners, w.pump and I'll check the oil pump over whilst I'm there. Time to start ordering bits!

Cheers,
Rich

Last edited by Richair743; 04 January 2015 at 07:06 PM.
Old 04 January 2015, 07:22 PM
type-ra
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks for all the info guys, really useful!

It does have the correct rear grey alcantara and black nylon seats, with matching grey alcantara trim in the door cards all round; the previous owners story regarding the front seats checks out as there's a small *** burn on the drivers door card. There's no evidence to suggest any of the trim has been buggered about with so I'm confident it's all original bar the drivers chairs of course. The upper spoiler is also original and still has the small STI sticker intact.

Cross referencing all the numbers it is the real deal, but I'm aware that the differences over an above a regular WRX are fairly limited on the V2 wagon so it's maybe not quite as special as a later GF8 STI... Certainly it doesn't have alloy 'bones or bonnet and I think these were a V3 addition. From my research all STI V2's did have the red inlets, it was the V1's that didn't have the red paint. What's going on inside the block is anyone's guess without cracking it open, but tinternet suggests the wagon STI motors still had some nice internals over and above the WRX. Who knows eh!?..

The numbers match up perfectly with these lifted from the Type-RA site:
WRX SPORTS WAGON STi VERSION II GF8C58D TY752VB3FA EJ20GDW4NE 260 5 Speed

The fog lamp caps are the correct type, but I'm already aware the drivers one has the wrong decal fitted (the passenger side has the correct original decal) so a new set have already been ordered.

The car is currently up on stands and I've started stripping bits off to change the timing belts, tensioners, w.pump and I'll check the oil pump over whilst I'm there. Time to start ordering bits!

Cheers,
Rich
The option code of 61 or 61C will tell you for certain if it's an STi 2 Wagon. The 61 is the important part.

http://www.type-ra.com/impreza-model...php?query=gf8c

HTH
Old 04 January 2015, 09:48 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jameswrx

Doesn't the Rev counter go up higher?
Well remembered!
Old 06 January 2015, 10:19 PM
Richair743
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by type-ra
The option code of 61 or 61C will tell you for certain if it's an STi 2 Wagon. The 61 is the important part.

http://www.type-ra.com/impreza-model...php?query=gf8c

HTH
Thanks for this and having looked over the details at the link you initially had me worried as mine is a PJ option code, but I then worked out that my car was manufactured in August 1995 prior to those option designations being implemented for the MY96 cars- it would appear that there is no specific option code identified for the MY95 STI wagon.

The next part is where it gets interesting, as fortunately the car has some paperwork from when it was in Japan including a fully detailed ownership history search carried out shortly before import. I'm pleased to say that the first registered owner of the car on 28/8/95 was Subaru Technica International Co. Ltd. with the car then being transferred to the Tokyo Subaru Motors Co. Ltd. so could it be that the car was built prior to STI's being built on the main production line?... I have read that the changeover was for the V2 models, but maybe it's not quite as clean cut as that.

I does also have the 9k rpm clocks and I double checked it has a TD05h turbo.

I'm now completely satisfied the car is a genuine STI