Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

fabia vrs or ibiza tdi

Search this Thread

Old 16 March 2013, 02:34 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fabia vrs or ibiza tdi

not sure which to get both have the same engine but the fabias go for a bit more. going to be used as everyday car .

is one better than the other in anyway or are they exactly the same bar styling.
Old 16 March 2013, 09:57 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What sort of driving will you be doing in the car?
Modern diesels need a good run out due to the dpf's (especially vw's), if its town driving then i would forget the diesel and go for a good petrol engine instead

If not then the ibiza probably wins on the handling, the fabia is known not to be the greatest in that department.
Also i would look at the Leon's as an option.
Old 17 March 2013, 01:50 PM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The VRS does not have a DPF

As far as handling goes, the VRS needs a rear arb to get the correct balance (understeers as std), and ideally roll centre correction extended ball joints

I have one (for sale ), and fitted Bilstein B8's with KW springs (as someone had fitted crappy Eibachs). The KW's lower the car by just 20mm so you're not into 'over-lowering' problems, they are firm & comfortable, and match well with the B8's. The overall result is very good. Here's some more on the suspension mod

Fabia's hold their money well, and won (over the Ibiza) when I was choosing

Last edited by bonesetter; 17 March 2013 at 01:54 PM.
Old 18 March 2013, 11:18 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

My other half has just got a 2005 Ibiza Sport 130bhp and to be honest, it's a cracking wee car. Nippy, economical, got 50k miles on it and drives faultlessly. Brakes, engine, gearbox, handling, interior.... all perfect.

She gave 3400 for the car from a dealer who sold it with 12 months MOT, 12 months tax, new tyres and a full cambelt service carried out. Cracking value for money IMO.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 23 March 2013, 01:19 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bonesetter
The VRS does not have a DPF

As far as handling goes, the VRS needs a rear arb to get the correct balance (understeers as std), and ideally roll centre correction extended ball joints

I have one (for sale ), and fitted Bilstein B8's with KW springs (as someone had fitted crappy Eibachs). The KW's lower the car by just 20mm so you're not into 'over-lowering' problems, they are firm & comfortable, and match well with the B8's. The overall result is very good. Here's some more on the suspension mod

Fabia's hold their money well, and won (over the Ibiza) when I was choosing

i thought i recognised the name over there lol

went for a fabia, have to admit i love it. just going to get it remapped to 170hp and lower it a tad. already got the compulsary splitter and painted the grill black
Old 23 March 2013, 01:22 AM
stedee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
What sort of driving will you be doing in the car?
Modern diesels need a good run out due to the dpf's (especially vw's), if its town driving then i would forget the diesel and go for a good petrol engine instead

If not then the ibiza probably wins on the handling, the fabia is known not to be the greatest in that department.
Also i would look at the Leon's as an option.
i thought the fabia would be better for some reason, maybe its because the ibiza`s look so high, not really bothered, after something comfortable as a daily more than anything else.

i like the newer leons (out my price range though) but i hate, really really hate the backend on the older leons.

Last edited by stedee; 23 March 2013 at 01:26 AM.
Old 23 March 2013, 08:58 AM
bonesetter
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stedee
i thought i recognised the name over there lol

went for a fabia, have to admit i love it. just going to get it remapped to 170hp and lower it a tad. already got the compulsory splitter and painted the grill black
170 bhp is right on the limit. Also make sure your mapper caps torque at 300 lb.

Either way a degree of mechanical sympathy is always advisable at that power - very nice that level is though. I drove across Snowdonia last summer and with those figures the VRS pulled like a train up those long climbs - all at 2.5 - 3.5K rpm There and back the car returned 43 mpg, and I wasn't hanging about I can tell you

How are you lowering the car - please don't say Eibachs