Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Caterham / Westfield FAQ?

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2002, 02:05 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
www.terrynightingale.co.uk

Consider a Sylva or a Fisher -- you'd be hard-pressed to spend 10k on one of those. Or you could get an MK Indy (which is actually a pre-built Locost).

www.sylva.co.uk
www.fishersportscars.co.uk
www.m-keenan.freeserve.co.uk/openindex.htm

Although they look ugly, Sylva Strikers usually win all the races against their better-known silbings (Westfield, Caterham, etc.)

Do not get anything from Robin Hood Engineering, as apparently they weigh nearly as much as the donor Sierra.

[Edited by carl - 5/2/2002 2:10:50 PM]
Old 01 May 2002, 07:32 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Talking

I took a new STI out for a test drive this morning. To be honest, I didn't rate it too highly compared to my MY00 + PPP, so I decided not to bother.

That leaves me with a few grand in my pocket, which I'd budgeted to improve my smiles-per-mile ratio, so it occurred to me to keep the scoob as an everyday car, and buy a used Westie or similar as a toy for when the mood takes me.

I've all sorts of dumb questions about them - prices, spares, insurance, keeping it outside in the rain and so on - so could someone please point me at a FAQ or give me an idea of what they're like to live with?

Ta

Andy.
Old 01 May 2002, 07:45 PM
megabusa
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Check out www.wscc.co.uk
Old 02 May 2002, 09:07 AM
igratton
Scooby Regular

heheheheheh

Ian
http://www.xtr2.net
Old 02 May 2002, 02:02 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks Ian, I did find your site. Very nice, especially the pic of the orange car on your home page

I was trawling the WSCC site last night, and it seems like just about every other person on there either has or used to have a Scooby. I guess it's about the only way to get a car that's much faster or more fun without spending a fortune.

I had reckoned on having to spend around £10k to upgrade my car to an import STI 7, so that's about what I'd like to spend on a Westie. Unfortunately, not having a garage means I'll have to buy a pre-built car - any idea where I can go to find a reasonable selection?

I gather they retain their value well, so there's always the option to sell on and upgrade in a year or so. I have a friend who recommended the 4-litre SEight, which sounds great fun, but they're expensive. Any other suggestions as to what I should be looking at for a more modest amount of cash?

Ta
Andy.
Old 04 May 2002, 07:27 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

Talking

Must say, getting a westie is looking more interesting by the week, checking all auto traders etc, and found a megabusa westie for £15000, more or less brand new with sod all mileage on. So if you can get one for that price you should be able to get a half decent BEW for around £10-11000.

CRAFT
Old 05 May 2002, 04:03 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

There do seem to be a lot us of (ex-) Scooby owners looking at Westies at the moment. I guess it must be the weather!

I was at the Stoneleigh kit car show this morning, which is probably worth a visit of you're not too far away. Westfield themselves are there along with an orange XTR2 (hi Ian, hi Craig!) and the rest of their range. There are also a couple of owners' clubs, with their cars - they have a huge range of engines and trim levels to stare at. I'm quite taken by the idea of a red SEiGHT with carbon fibre wings and dash, although buying new from the factory seems vastly more expensive than buying a slightly used one a few years old.

Andy.
Old 05 May 2002, 06:13 PM
Les H
Scooby Regular

Just in case anyones interested, I have a Westfield SEi Wide for sale at the moment, 1.6CVH,twin webbers etc,bulit in 97. The build quality is superb. If anyones interested mail me

Edited to add a picture

Les H

[Edited by Les H - 5/5/2002 6:36:25 PM]
Old 05 May 2002, 07:37 PM
chris p1
Scooby Regular

Here's a picture of mine paid just over £10k for it 280bhp Cosworth power makes a real good partner to the Scoob,buy one you will love it
Chris.

[Edited by chris p1 - 5/5/2002 9:11:24 PM]
Old 06 May 2002, 07:29 PM
catflap
Scooby Regular

Nie price on the cozzy westy where did you look for westys?
Old 06 May 2002, 08:10 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Les: Looks like a nice motor. I'm going to go on the Westfield factory tour in the next week or two, so I'll try to get a drive in a couple of cars and get an idea of what spec I'm after. How does yours compare performance wise to a Scooby?

Chris: how many horsepower?! What a monster, I love it! How's the grip and handling? Don't you just find yourself destroying rear tyres in a cloud of smoke? Did you built it yourself, or buy it with the turbo engine already installed? Seriously, I think it would be a bit extreme for a first Westy; I'm thinking more along the lines of a 2 litre Ford Zetec or Vauxhall engine first time around. There doesn't seem to be any shortage of these for about £7500. Having one of these would give me the chance to discover what I like and dislike about the car, and then I can look at changing it after a year or so.

It is a toy after all, so I don't want to over-spend on it - I do find it odd that a new SEiGHT is about the same price as an imported STI VII, despite being vastly less complex.

Andy.