Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

What next.......Version 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 24 April 2010, 12:11 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What next.......Version 2.0

My turn for advice on what to replace an Impreza with.
I've currently got a W reg Turbo 2000 Classic Wagon.

It's a high miler (151000) and in the 3 and a half years of running it it's been bullit proof, but it does have a touch of piston slap which is particuarly audible when cold, otherwise it runs sweetly.
Gregg at Carnetix services the car and he says it's no worse than other cars of this age, and otherwise he thinks the cars in good shape.

With me saving to get on the housing market and rising fuel costs only getting worse I'm thinking that moving onto something else whilst there's trade in value in the gas guzzling Impreza is the way forward no matter how much I still like the scoob
But, I dont really know what to go for next

If I got around £2k for the Scoob in trade in then I could match that out of my savings and maybe even dip in for a further £1k. I've got the option of cheap loans and some other ways of bumping up my budget but even so I dont want to go that much higher than £5k

I've been looking at what's around locally and on the internet and looking at threads on here and very little really seems to replace the scoob

I'd like a sporty BMW 1 series but they're out of my price range, early 00's TDI BMW 3 Series seem a bigger car then I'd like, but I have seen a few I'm very tempted by.

I'm quite tempted by this:
http://www.evanshalshaw.com/vehicles...s=false&type=1
As I've always liked the look of this model and the car fits a lot of my criteria, but it's got leather seats and I dont like leather seats, and it's petrol.

Plus this, but it's at the maximum of what I'd like to spend plus I've read they dont handle as well as the Leons, or scoobs
http://www.evanshalshaw.com/vehicles...s=false&type=1

In a nutshellf I'm after something not too physically big, that looks good, sporty that handles, with space, decent MPG, and maybe a bit more comfort and interior class than the scoob.

I havent test drove anything yet but I've got a few days off next week where I'm gonna get out and see what takes my fancy, but I could use some advice.
Old 24 April 2010, 07:10 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

If you're into the Leons then it might be worth sticking a wee bit more into the pot and go for the Cupra R version of the Leon?

Cheers,
Grant
Old 26 April 2010, 10:07 AM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about Civic type R? Cupra R sounds good tho.
Old 26 April 2010, 10:47 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

If I went for a Type R I'd be getting the same running costs as the scoob and I'd rather have an Impreza.

The Leon's are looking tempting. I'd like to try a TDI Cupra as well as the petrol ones

Anyone got any thoughts on the A3?
Old 26 April 2010, 02:27 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bonehead
If I went for a Type R I'd be getting the same running costs as the scoob and I'd rather have an Impreza.

The Leon's are looking tempting. I'd like to try a TDI Cupra as well as the petrol ones

Anyone got any thoughts on the A3?
How so? Im running an FN2 CTR for the last year and sub £300 insurance, 28mpg+ average, 1st service (12,500 miles) is costing me £143. Tax is £245 now I think. Is a different world from what my scoob cost me to run (MY00 Turbo).

Simon
Old 26 April 2010, 02:56 PM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by P1Fanatic
How so? Im running an FN2 CTR for the last year and sub £300 insurance, 28mpg+ average, 1st service (12,500 miles) is costing me £143. Tax is £245 now I think. Is a different world from what my scoob cost me to run (MY00 Turbo).

Simon
A mate of mine had one and he said it was expensive but he didn't quote figures. Thanks for that, another possible for my list then!
Old 26 April 2010, 03:19 PM
scoobyc
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

5k is more EP3 CTR money i suppose.

Bullet prooof engine, decent handling, and lower tax (if pre 2006 which is likley).

and imo still look good. Pretty nippy too!
Old 29 April 2010, 11:12 AM
Bonehead
Scooby Regular

I went to look at a Cupra TDI the other morning. I got as far as arguing with the salesman who wanted to fix a price for my scooby on a trade in before he'd let me in the Cupra.

I said to him, "I dont even know if I want the Cupra yet as I've never driven one so how am I gonna start agreeing on prices when I haven't even made my mind up I want the thing yet"

His said "I'll ring you later when I've had a think on how much I'll offer you for your Subaru"

I told him to forget it