Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Buying privately

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2009, 10:16 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying privately

I want to buy a car 200 miles from home.
Only want to make one trip, if the car is ok I pay and drive it away.
Best way to pay?, I've no problem taking cash (£12k ish if the bank will give me it in a few days).
Alternatives? can you cancel a bankers draft?
Anyone done this? any advice appreciated.
Old 24 May 2009, 10:32 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

M8 rather than wandering about with £12k in cash in your back pocket I would arrange to withdraw the money from a branch when you are up there. That way you can view the car without having that kind oif money on your person and if you are then interested in doing a deal you can go and make the withdrawel. Even better, if he has an account at the same bank as you then you can withdraw it and pay it straight into his account once you're happy you've struck a deal and by doing this on the bank premises its safer all round. The seller would presumably be happier with this becos he knows the cash is genuine "wonga"

I've bought many a car in a bank lobby and it works well imo.

Old 24 May 2009, 10:43 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Sounds good, my major hassle is getting the time off and getting up there.
What you say definitely makes good sense.
Old 25 May 2009, 10:28 AM
turbulance
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Fabioso
M8 rather than wandering about with £12k in cash in your back pocket I would arrange to withdraw the money from a branch when you are up there. That way you can view the car without having that kind oif money on your person and if you are then interested in doing a deal you can go and make the withdrawel. Even better, if he has an account at the same bank as you then you can withdraw it and pay it straight into his account once you're happy you've struck a deal and by doing this on the bank premises its safer all round. The seller would presumably be happier with this becos he knows the cash is genuine "wonga"

I've bought many a car in a bank lobby and it works well imo.

Thats what i done got the train up to liverpool from portsmouth drove the evo back
Old 25 May 2009, 11:06 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you have digital banking set up you could transfer the money electronically using their computer if you decide to buy.
Old 25 May 2009, 05:26 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
If you have digital banking set up you could transfer the money electronically using their computer if you decide to buy.
I think I will try to organise that, do you have to actually be in a branch of your bank to carry out the transfer as that rather limits the sale time? Or can you just take your lap top with you?
Old 26 May 2009, 09:19 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

It should be instant these days via the internet. Assumes seller has internet or telephone banking so they can check too.
Old 26 May 2009, 06:22 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the input guys
Old 27 May 2009, 09:10 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

If you do use this computer, remember to clear your cookies / history, incase he tries to go back in as you.

However, without sounding like a wise old owl, I would plan / pay for the return home via train / bus etc, regardless of costs. If ur going to view a car, knowing you need it to go home, then you will over look the bad things that would normally make you walk away. Your almost have to buy it, to get home !

Purchase in hast, repent in leisure !

SBK
Old 28 May 2009, 08:12 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thesyn
I think I will try to organise that, do you have to actually be in a branch of your bank to carry out the transfer as that rather limits the sale time? Or can you just take your lap top with you?
Sorry, haven't looked at this thread again since I posted. No you can do it absolutely anywhere on any computer.

However, the fact that you're not sure about it suggests that you maybe don't have that capability. It was something I had to register for on my bank's website. They(RBS) then sent me a card reader that looks like a small calculator which can be used anywhere.

So all I ever need is my laptop and my card reader. If I want to transfer money into someone else's account, all I do is set up a payee on the website(takes 2 mins), and then I can transfer whatever I like into their account. I just need their account number and sort code.
Old 28 May 2009, 09:03 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

Ah yes I do have one of these from Nationwide, haven't used it yet. Wife tells me now that she knows how to, so she could drive me there, and back (if it all goes bandy).
Cheers for all the above wise words, hopefully problem solved