Search this Thread

Old 18 June 2008, 07:15 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default merc ml270 anyone got?

as above anyone got one?
are there any problems to look out for?

toying with the idea of a x3 or ml just not sure which to go for so any suggestions would be good.
Old 18 June 2008, 08:56 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We had an W reg ML320 briefly, not that great, crap on fuel, wobbly handling, poor build quality (for a Merc) and old hat now. X3 get mixed reviews. We bought a people carrier instead, better on fuel, better to drive and more space.

I wouldnt bother with off roaders unless you actually need to go off road, especially with the fuel economy nowadays, the 270 will only do about 25 mpg, the 320 managed high teens.
Old 18 June 2008, 09:02 PM
mad555
Scooby Regular

Agree had a ML270 wouldnt,have one again as above fuel,handling,£115+vat for headlamp bulb,etc.
Handling can only be described as boaty,great for getting the kids to go to sleep!!,although it was on a set of 18's!!
Old 18 June 2008, 09:43 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I have the new ML320 Cdi Sport. What a different car that is over the old one.
I tested X5, RR Sport, Touareg, Q7 & couldnt fault the ML even on VFM, the leasing deals are brilliant at the moment. I am paying just over £500 + Vat for a near loaded ML. Although i am seriously thinking about chopping it in for a GL 420 Cdi .

Will wait an see what the figures are
Old 18 June 2008, 10:02 PM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Get a Discovery 3 HSE, excellent spec and very good on road.
Old 18 June 2008, 10:22 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

Personally i would go for the first of the 24 valve Amazon L/C's from 1995 to late 1997.Don't buy the later shape Amazon diesel L/c, if you plan to go off road because it was never fitted with a locking front diff. To be honest that is stupid, that is defeating the idea of upgrading isn't it.Both of the diesel Amazons are fitted with the same engine and the newer Amazon produces 200bhp and alot of torque low down in the rev range and that is essential offroad.My point is this, you can see how much power and torque the first 24 valve engine can produce.The basic 4.2td engine can be considered a small lorry engine, although it originally came from a japanese forklift truck.Before now i looked at small buses (bigger than minibuses) for sale with this engine installed so if it's reliability you want look no further.An australian company can export an intercooler for the 1hd-ft 24 valve 4.2td engine and that really wakes it up.
The GX is the basic version, go for the VX if you want leather etc.The 4.5 ltr straight six petrol version isn't as reliable, although drinks less fuel compared with the RR and is better than the 4.6 V8.Also if you do buy one of the td L/c's, buy a U.k. version because i was reading about the imports on an american L/c club site ( IH8MUD.com - Home ) they suffer from some sort of a problem. I have forgotten what it is and i know for sure that the U.k. version doesn't suffer from it.I just found a new problem to do with this diesel engine, apparently the timing belt slips off the pulley (yikes) so a good idea would be ask Toyota about T.belt recalls or about an upgraded pulley, but other than that no other problems with it mechanically etc.

Nathan.

Last edited by ScooByer Trade; 23 June 2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 18 June 2008, 10:28 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

As you're thinking about an X3, I presume you only need 5 seats, in which case I would probably look elsewhere. I have a pre-2001 (PLG tax) ML430 with 7 seats and am very pleased overall. If you buy an ML, make sure it has an X in the chassis number (assembled in Austria) not an A (built in Alabama) - much better buid quality. One of the bonuses for me is that the Mercedes main dealer in Basingstoke gives 40% off labour and 10% off parts for cars over 6 years old. So the labour rate is 'only' £66 an hour and I can maintain FMBSH. However, I will be replacing with a Discovery 3.
Old 18 June 2008, 10:49 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scoobystiv8
Get a Discovery 3 HSE, excellent spec and very good on road.
Water leaks & electrical gremlins galore.

My friend has a Disco 3 Hse & has had nothing but bother with it.
I had a TDV8 RR & it was never out the dealers with electrical problems.
LR have lost it lately & dont want to pay for any warranty claims, at least when Ford owned them they would consider goodwill claims, now they arent interested.
Old 19 June 2008, 08:26 AM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sti-04!!
Water leaks & electrical gremlins galore.

My friend has a Disco 3 Hse & has had nothing but bother with it.
I had a TDV8 RR & it was never out the dealers with electrical problems.
LR have lost it lately & dont want to pay for any warranty claims, at least when Ford owned them they would consider goodwill claims, now they arent interested.
I have the disco3 v8 se. its fine not all d3s are bad.
Old 19 June 2008, 02:57 PM
harry007
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

dont buy one my advice...along with others above.

Haroon.
Old 19 June 2008, 07:33 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

cheers for all the replies
Old 20 June 2008, 12:56 PM
lookout
Scooby Regular

A bit late but my MY 2001 ML270 was the worst car I ever bought. Over a 3 year period I replaced:

2 injectors
all glow plugs
all bottom ball joints x2
o/s/f wishbone
steering collum
steering rack
dash binnacle
rear shocks & springs
front shocks
turbo
brake pipes
n/s/f brake caliper
gearbox shifter
cured water leak at driver's feet
window switches
a few gearbox electrical parts

probably left a few bits out

plus all the normal wear and tear bits.

I would never have a Mercedes again
Old 20 June 2008, 02:59 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

To be honest the L/c 2H 4.0ltr non turbo and 12HT turbo diesel engine is more reliable, compared with the replacement 4.2td.I know this because that is a long stroke pushrod OHV engine and the cams are gear driven, so no T.belt to worry about.Obviously these are old now and most have rotted into the ground.I know for a fact a non turbo HJ60 somewhere up norf with another three of the same, ticked the 700,000 miles box and all of the drivetrain never not once had a rebuild and is in use now.You try to find a recent or new 4x4 you know will go that distance.Just oil, water and filters etc is all it needs and them parts are very cheap.The 4.2td engine is the same regards servicing and will do 500,000 miles with maybe one hiccup.
The thing i forgot to say in my other post is something to do with the shells apparently, more than likly not but something is at fault with the import Amazons too.

Last edited by ScooByer Trade; 20 June 2008 at 03:56 PM.
Old 20 June 2008, 09:24 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by lookout
I would never have a Mercedes again
Strange that ! I am on my 4th mercedes & have never had a problem with them. At the moment its strangely an ML i have.

Horses for courses. The previous ML was a dog but new gen mercs are in a league of there own imho.

Old 22 June 2008, 10:56 AM
sbk1972
Scooby Regular

Im in the same position, looking for a truck for my g/f and my babies. I like the Ml, lovely looking car, especially the facelift model with AMG styling bits.

However, being the researching nerd that Ive become, these ML suffer from high repair costs. Its not that lots things go wrong, but when things do go wrong, they are expensive. The problem with the injections is common, they are push fit injectors, and become siezed in the head, requiring on many occasions a new head. Its a problem to this engine and is all over the range.

All cars come with faults, but the ML has suffered badly from reliabiltiy issues. Obviously not all cars are lemons, but the chances of getting a problem is high.

I looked at a L/C, and I love them. I love the size, the reliability and value for money as these cars do hold their value. With diesel being so £££ I cant suffer the mpg, which for the 4.2TD isnt very good. Im not knocking it, its a heavy big truck, and 23-25 isnt that bad, but just too poor for me.

I researched, looked at X5's, Ml, RRS, Rav4, Nissan Xtrails, Patherfinders, and the overall best truck / suv, best reliablity, and value for money, if you buy a 2 or 3 year old one, is ................... a Kia Sorento !

Yes, I know Kia arent liked due to the status of the badge, but these trucks have good reviews, quite good mpg, good value for £££. They may not be as cool as the others, or be high up in the supermarket snob rankings, but they are tremendous value.

E.g, for £12K you can get a 1 or 2 year old Sorento Xt, with 18"in ch alloys, 12K miles, in warranty, leather, auto, everything electric, a/c, ! They do 34/37mpg and never break down. For £14-15K you get the newer facelift model, with 168bhp. Ive driven the 168vhp one, and it pulls well. The dash isnt as exciting as an X5, but it still feels just as responsive.

Thats what Im aiming for, and will buy, as a baby carrier for the g/f and kids. For me though, well Im going for a 2 year old M5 ! hahaha

SBKx

Last edited by sbk1972; 22 June 2008 at 11:00 AM.
Old 23 June 2008, 04:22 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

If i was involved in an accident though, i would sooner be in the L/C compared with some of the other 4x4's.Here is an incident i know about, the 4 occupants in the L/C 80 series (from the 90's era) were coming to the crossroads and going straight not turning with traffic lights on green and they went through but didn't see a Citreon coming along another road and T-boned them doing approx 50 mph, ( ignoring the traffic lights ) went straight under and out the other side killing the passengers of the Citreon instantly.The L/C rolled upside down on the other car and landed upright.They were shocked and shaking ultimatly though, they were unhurt.

Last edited by ScooByer Trade; 28 June 2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 23 June 2008, 07:46 PM
webby v7 slipperwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife is on her third ML 270 CDI, and never had a problem with any of them. Last one she sold had 283,000 miles on it and that was a 2000 year model. She now has a 2002 270 CDI, with full factory AMG upgrades. It's a great familly car, and is so much classier than a disco.
Old 26 June 2008, 08:16 PM
ScooByer Trade
Scooby Regular

How many miles did the Mercedes do lookout ?.

Nathan.
Old 26 June 2008, 10:16 PM
scoobystiv8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by webby v7 slipperwagon
My wife is on her third ML 270 CDI, and never had a problem with any of them. Last one she sold had 283,000 miles on it and that was a 2000 year model. She now has a 2002 270 CDI, with full factory AMG upgrades. It's a great familly car, and is so much classier than a disco.

Do you really think the ML merc is as classy as a Discovery 3? I think not,
not as safe, not as well equipped and overall not a patch.