Sponsored by:

I should be dead.

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2001, 06:04 PM
RonaldoH
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Well thats it, after 5 years of flawless driving history, and a carefull outlook to driving on the road...some tosser at 15.30 this afternoon decided to smash into the rear me at 100 mhp (ish) in the outside lane of a rain drenched M25.

The result, a written off Golf that spun 180 degrees across two lanes narrowly missing cars in the inside lane and the middle lane, including the witness who prevented me from removing the head of the owner of the MX-3 that crashed into me.

I was cruising at 45mph ish in the outside lane, looking to pass an Eddie Stobart lorry in the middle lane around 400 metres ahead, and was sitting well back from the Merc in front of me (100 metres or so) and the Merc was doing the same speed. He began to break, as did I and the traffic was coming to a standstill...I approached the Merc (20 metres or so away) only to see in my rear view mirror (I had hazards on at this point due to the conditions and the traffic situation) a red vehicle approaching at speed, skidding and beginning to swerve towards the back of me..He was doing at least 100mph according to a witness who he passed a 1/4 mile before (doing 70mph in the middle lane) The rest happened in slow motion.

For some reason, probably the two children sat in rear facing seats in the estate merc in front of me peering through a steamed up rear window, I decided to simply brace for the impact (you would not believe how quickly, yet slowly this happens) the squabble of his tyres was the only thing I could hear, I kept my hands at 1/4 to 3 on the wheel and watched him plough into the right hand side of the rear of my golf...causing me at 30mph ish now, to career into the middle lane and spin 180 degrees in standing water across the slow lane until stopping (after trying oppo lock to correct the car-easier said than done when your cars nudged like a bumper car and your not ready for it) in the hard shoulder, aside a drop curb.

The next 30 seconds fell silent, I blacked out from shock-I must have done...I missed 30 seconds of the event. I then remember a man running towards me from a parked Audi (what a gent this guy was) as he was the car I swerved to avoid and the Merc in the outside lane pulled up a hundred or so yards away, as did this **** in the Mazda who by now had no car left at all.

I jumped out, and ran at the Mazda. Red Mist had set in, but i was close to tears from the shock and I simply shouted some complete ****e about him nearly killing me..I then had to sit down and I nearly threw up.

I remember the Mercedes driver thanking me for not slipping into the middle lane, as he said it saved his little girls lives. (this Maxda would of hit the Merc) In a way, this went through my mind at the time...perhaps it was the right thing to do.

I called the Police, and because no-one was injured (quiet how I did'nt hit anyone else, I do not know) they said exchange details and take witness details too.

That done, I left this arsehole to limp into Clacket Lane services and I hobbled my very bent Golf up the motorway...only for the supsension and rear wheels to say after a while "no no no" and I pulled the car over and called the AA...They towed the car (were there in 20 mins) to my dealership and dropped me at my sisters who dropped me home.

Im now waiting for me mam to get home to take me up the hospital, my neck hurts as does my back...best to get it looked at.

I had a great day up until then with the sussex mob.

I lose my car, my No claims and my likelyhood of getting an EVO at the end of this year because some people drive like complete to$$ers

Be carefull out there.

Ronnie

Old 23 September 2001, 06:17 PM
turbo spudgun
Scooby Regular

Angry

glad yer ok mate!
sue the ******!
Old 23 September 2001, 06:20 PM
dba
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

bad luck mate and well done for not moving,deserve a medal.Its a bummer when ya loose ya motor,hope it works out and you get the Evo!!

cheers

dave
Old 23 September 2001, 06:23 PM
Ricky Budlight
Scooby Regular

Angry

RonaldoH

Sorry to hear about your accident...at least no one is badly hurt......best thing for you now is get to the hospital and get a collar for your neck as tommorow you are going to be in so so much pain due to the whiplash injury as it wont kick in till the morning...

and then sue the t0sser for everything..and i mean everything...out of pocket expenses, bus fares,train tickets keep a record of everything you spend an expense on..

Good luck...
Old 23 September 2001, 06:23 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Condolences mate - just think yourself lucky it wasn't worse.

That really gets to me, people thinking they're so great, driving at speed completely inappropriate for the conditions - and too close on motorways. At least you weren't so stupid, if you had been you may have hit the car in front, and it could have been worse.

As long as you have witnesses you will be OK - cut and dry really - hit in rear - you won't lose any no claims - your company will recover it.

It's certainly a shame you didn't give the MX5 driver a slap, although it maybe would've landed you in court, plonkers like that need to be told they're a danger, before they kill someone.

Don't fret too much - you'll get a payout on your car, and won't lose no-claims, and should still get your EVO
Old 23 September 2001, 06:25 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I'm glad you're OK - the car can be replaced. You can't.

Get yourself up to A&E A.S.A.P!!!! You're insurance company will ask if you wish to take out a personal injury claim against this person.

By the sounds of it, why should you lose your NCB - he went into you. His fault. If you hit anybody else, again his fault.

Whiplash hurts like hell (I'm just getting over it now), but you'll get better.....

Just look forward to your EVO now.......

Dan
Old 23 September 2001, 06:38 PM
SD
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ronnie - Glad you're ok!

Good thing you didn't slap the fella - It never looks good in court. People are right, in that you NCB will be fine. It's a very clear cut case. He hit you as he was driving like a ****.

Get your Evo, no probs.

Edited for bid spolling

[This message has been edited by SD (edited 23 September 2001).]
Old 23 September 2001, 06:44 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Brilliant thinking regarding the kids, well done mate.
Hope everything works out O.K for you.
Unfortunately the rainy,foggy,misty,slippery season is almost upon us and as you quite rightly state "be careful and very aware out there".
Old 23 September 2001, 06:55 PM
Robertio
Scooby Regular

Angry

Very sorry to hear that Ronnie

Hope you are OK, but get a check up ASAP.

As everyone else has said, you shouldn't lose your no claims, but I believe some weighting will be added because you have been involved in an accident, despite it not being your fault
Old 23 September 2001, 06:56 PM
grahamstocker
Scooby Regular

Sorry Ronnie Mate ! But as long as your ok and the others involved. You will get the Evo m8 dont worry. G

Old 23 September 2001, 06:59 PM
andym172
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Unlucky Ronnie! As everybody has said, thanks god you're ok!!

I'm no doctor, but Ricky's right, you definitely need to get yourself some sort of support for your neck (and perhaps something for your back?!) because it is going to hurt tomorrow!

After you've got yourself sorted out IMO you should head off to your solicitor who should help you with a claim against the plonker in the MX5. The solicitor should be able to prevent you losing your no claims which = you getting your EVO

Andy.
Old 23 September 2001, 06:59 PM
555 Markus
Scooby Regular

Angry

Ronnie, sorry to hear about this, but glad you are ok. Well done, and very brave of you, to consider the kids. Take care.

Mark
Old 23 September 2001, 07:05 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Bloody hell Ronnie - it sounds terrible, really frightening. Sounds like your quick thinking saved not only yourself but others around you from suffering a lot worse.

I'm very glad you're still in one piece though it's a real shame about your car

Sal
Old 23 September 2001, 07:06 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Ronnie,
Glad to hear you're okay mate.
Just be thankful that the kiddies were okay and it was down to YOU, not the **** in the MX.
You showed more restraint than I would have.
The police would have asked me if there were any injuries and I would have replied "Not yet".
Once again, glad to hear you're okay.
astraboy.
Old 23 September 2001, 07:16 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Ronnie !!! crap mate ! that really does suck big time !

You will not lose your no claims mate, you have enough witnesses to get this **** for every penny he has !

Get to the Hospital i talk from experience with Wiplash !!! it will hit you tomorrow fully ! it usually takes a day or so and it can be complete agony ! (sorry just saying it as it is, not trying to depress you more!!!) then as has been said before, talk to somebody and sue them for every penny !!!
Old 23 September 2001, 07:18 PM
Luke
BANNED

Ronnie,
Never met you,But after this .I'd let you buy me a drink !!!!

As mentioned by many,Well done for having the Guts to protect those kids. I lossed my Quattro (To be honest it was my fault) having to choose between a very big wall or a pavement with a child on it. I could have maybe missed the kid!!!!!! But A child can move real quick......

I am just glad that you and your humour are still with us.Thought when I first saw the Post.It was going to be some story about a manic drinking session!!!!!!

And I'm also glad that "The Red Mist " did not get too thick.... I am sure if it was some one elses situation ,you would advice Non violence (In public where there could be witnesses !!!!)

[This message has been edited by Luke (edited 23 September 2001).]

Old 23 September 2001, 07:27 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

RonaldoH - sounds like it could have been a lot worse, if it wasn't for your motorway driving skills, the guy in the merc's & a bit of luck.

Glad to hear no one was hurt.
stay lucky

shunty
Old 23 September 2001, 07:28 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Red face

Ronnie

Nightmare mate !! Just glad you're OK. I would have to say from your description that your actions probably saved those girls from at best serious injury.

You won't lose your no-claims, as this is clearly not your fault - Just hope they settle the claim quickly (not holding my breath...)

Cheers
Chris
Old 23 September 2001, 07:33 PM
mega_stream
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Sorry to hear your news
Hope you get back to full fitness again soon m8 and everything works out ok getting you mobile again.

John
Old 23 September 2001, 07:36 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Ronnie

Glad your OK mate. Get yourself checked at hospital as a matter of urgency though, just to be safe.

Cant remember the name of the solicitor that people on here recommend for motoring stuff but i am sure someone will post it.

Hope to still see you at Bagshot.

Dave
Old 23 September 2001, 07:47 PM
bug-eyed wonder
Scooby Regular

Good to hear that no one was badly injured. Get yourself checked out as soon as possible because once the shock wears off the pain will definately get worse in the next few days. Luckily you seem to have witnesses who will verify that this muppet was going far too fast for the conditions. Persue your justifiable case for whiplash and all expenses no matter how minor. You will hopefully be a step closer to your EVO after you get all you are entitled to.

Old 23 September 2001, 07:52 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Ronnie,

What else can I add.

Glad your OK. Your NCB should be OK. Make sure you visit your Doctor Monday morning and inform your insurance you have been injured.

Got your e-mail, the RS pack will be with you soon.

Lee
Old 23 September 2001, 08:03 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Angry

Ronnie.

So glad to hear of your near escape. Your quick thinking not only saved at least two lives today, they also underlined why I believe you'll make an exceptional police officer.

There is no greater act than that of self sacrifice, especially for complete strangers.

I don't think you'll lose your no claims, and as for damages etc. Don't go through claims direct etc, they'll take loads in fees.

Just get yourself checked out, and take it easy for a few days. Do exactly what the Dr's say and don't try and be all macho. Back and neck injuries unless properly managed can cause problems later on. So do yourself a favour and get it sorted

I'm really sad to hear about the golf, but that pales into insignificance with the joy I feel in you saving the two girls.

Nice thinking mate, Your guardian angel earned his pay today.
tarmacterrorist
Scooby Regular

Nice to hear you are okay. Like some of the others agree that you have done right in not clobbering the %^*(()) but definately get the most out of him in the way of compensation.
Andy.
NeVeTaS2001
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

F*CK ME.
THAT SOUNDS TERRABLE.

I also have a Golf as a company car, glad it protected you ok.

Let me know how you get on with your insurance.

--
Steve
Old 23 September 2001, 08:25 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Ronnie, soory to hear this, what a bummer. I hope you are well and get everything sorted quickly.

When will people learn to drive to the conditions on the roads.

Dan
Old 23 September 2001, 08:39 PM
Rikki23
Scooby Regular

Not many things wind me up but to**ers like that in the Mazda really do. He could have seriously injured or killed some innocenet young lives if it wasn't for your quick thinking and bravery Ron. It would have been very easy to follow your instinct of moving out the way - well done - and for not losing it with the guy in the Mazda. Sounds like you did everything you could have done in the situation Ron.

Glad you are OK. As said follow the docs advice. All the best with sorting it out.

Kind regards
Rikki
Old 23 September 2001, 08:44 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Ronnie,
I am sorry to hear about your accident but glad you are OK, Cars are replaceable little girls and Ronnies are not. Get some pain killers into you and take a few days off.

Andy
Old 23 September 2001, 08:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

What a sh1tter - no lives lost though!

Bang the metal out and move on - no reason you should not get your EVO!

Good luck

Pete
Old 23 September 2001, 08:55 PM
TopCat
Scooby Regular

Bad news M8, atleast you live to tell the tale...Good safe Golf "SOLID"

See you around soon...

Regards

Moe

Quick Reply: I should be dead.