Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

I need to offload a ST220 but how??

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2008, 04:10 PM
Eddie1980
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need to offload a ST220 but how??

Looking for a little advice in today's world of high fuel prices and big car tax bills.

Recently my farther passed away and I have been tasked with the job of moving his Mondeo ST220 on to owners a new. I have spoken to the dealer it came from just for a little guidance and a base price so should all else fail I know what they will give me for it. They were not unhelpful but they were a little doom and gloom on cars of this nature and the current market, story's along the line of this sort of car not selling at any price.

Details are a 55 2006 Mondeo ST220
3L V6 with half leather, Sat nav etc,
43,500 miles on the clock full ford history
Silver with cream leather and black inserts

Not my kind of car I have to say, but it is with out a shadow of a doubt the nicest Mondeo I have ever driven. Advice on the best way of advertising would be appreciated, as would the advice of anyone who has recent sold a thirsty car in the times off rip off brown.

Offers accepted :-)
Old 06 June 2008, 04:37 PM
robertdon777
Scooby Regular

Yes it will be harder to sell, but any car will sell at the right price. Take a look on the Autotrader & Pistonheads for a similar spec year etc. then take 500 notes off yours and it will go sooner rather than later.
Old 06 June 2008, 04:48 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

First of all make sure the price is right - price it well and a little below what others sell for and it will sell.

You will get a lot of people messing you about, not turning up, silly offers etc. dont get disheartned.

Stick it on here and Pistonheads with loads of piccies and price it well and it will sell.

good luck
Old 06 June 2008, 04:55 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Glass' Guide for you.

Nice cars, most popular colour generally, should sell fairly easily I would expect at the right price.

Part-exchange Price:
Excellent condition: £9020

Average condition: £8050

Below average condition: £7140
Old 06 June 2008, 05:08 PM
help2003
Scooby Regular

mate, stick it on the site i use, Main Index - Main Page of Mondeo Enthusiasts Group - Powered by FusionBB
Old 06 June 2008, 05:49 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont give it away, it still has value, dont see it as a problem.
Old 07 June 2008, 07:27 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Dont give it away, it still has value, dont see it as a problem.
i know what you are saying but it is very difficult to offload cars that are in higher tax groups and that like to drink the fuel.

i was down my local bm dealer yesterday and they were not interested in taking my 53 plate wrx as part ex apparently they phoned some traders and depending on what i was looking to buy could probably stretch to £5000.

i am a realist and understand fuel and tax costs are driving prices down but i think they were taking the ****.
Old 07 June 2008, 08:42 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Johny, I have found after years of selling cars that there is always someone that will want it, pick a reasonable price and if its any good (and from what you say, it is) it will sell, it will be someone doing small mileages, despite the current situation there are still buyers out there and remember its diesel thats taken the main hit.
Old 07 June 2008, 09:26 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by johnnyroper
i know what you are saying but it is very difficult to offload cars that are in higher tax groups and that like to drink the fuel.

i was down my local bm dealer yesterday and they were not interested in taking my 53 plate wrx as part ex apparently they phoned some traders and depending on what i was looking to buy could probably stretch to £5000.

i am a realist and understand fuel and tax costs are driving prices down but i think they were taking the ****.

Dealer did the same when we had to off load a works BMW - 3yrs old, FBMWSH and 38K on the clock. Decent spec (auto, leather, CD changer etc) Not a mark on the interior, wheels or exterior. Parkers listed it at £15K (too much IMO - I penned its value at £12K), dealer offered £9250 for it! Suffice to say, I offered £10K and had it for myself

(Absolutely hate the car - boring as hell. But I'm a sucker for bargains ).

If they think a sob story and a low offer will bag them a cheap car, they'll do it; Afterall, 2nd hand car dealers purely exist to make a profit on what they buy and sell.

Last edited by Shark Man; 07 June 2008 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07 June 2008, 09:58 PM
johnnyroper
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shark Man

If they think a sob story and a low offer will bag them a cheap car, they'll do it; Afterall, 2nd hand car dealers purely exist to make a profit on what they buy and sell.
thats exactly why i told them to stick it and i will go elsewhere to buy an x3.

going down the private sale route now see if get any better luck