Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2004, 04:24 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ST220 Owners?

guys
has anyone owned a Mondeo ST220?

Are they any good- a slightly subjective point granted. I've owned 2 scoobs but want something larger with good performance but not too thirsty.

I currently have a 2L Mondeo- which I think is a fine car for what it is. It's just lacking a bit in the power and handling. (Obv. I'm not expecting a 220 to be in the same performace league as a scoob btw).

In day to day use around town what MPG are you going to get?

any info appreciated
cheers
Old 03 June 2004, 04:37 PM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

Default er, ignore the rating please :)

the devil makes work for idle mice
Old 03 June 2004, 04:43 PM
mgg
Scooby Regular

Nice looking cars, very sporty, big inside ( roomy ) great power from the engine, once you have wound it up, awesome handling and braking. Very reliable. As for mpg im not sure, can find out as a friend owns one. Only thing he dislikes is the time it takes for power delivery, as its such a big engine 3.0l v6 i believe they weigh a ton, but once your crusing you dont realise what speed your doing.

May sound silly, but if your after a larger car that is still sporty, have you looked at a Skoda Octavia VRS, i know it sounds stupid, but the more you look at them and see what you get for your money, your laughing.
Leather interior, as big as the mondeo inside, 4 wheel drive, 1.8 20 valve turbo charged engine, 200bhp standard. And as its a VAG car you could take it to REVO and get the ECU upgraded for £500.....increase of 30bhp and massive increase in torque.
Or the same with a seat leon cupra, as they are the same engine.

The plus side to getting one of the above is they will match or even better the st220 in terms of 0-60 and top end, they are the same size inside and both the skoda and seat are about £5,000 cheaper than the mondeo from new.

Only reason i comment on them two cars, is again, two work colleagues here have them.
I will find out the mpg from a friend for the st220.

marc.
Old 03 June 2004, 05:09 PM
STI4ME
Scooby Regular

Default Unmarked

Saw one of those Skoda's on the M40 last w/e. The driver was giving my mate a funny look for using his PMR radio, then my mate noticed the chequered pattern on the guys jacket. Was a black unmarked camera car!

Originally Posted by mgg
Nice looking cars, very sporty, big inside ( roomy ) great power from the engine, once you have wound it up, awesome handling and braking. Very reliable. As for mpg im not sure, can find out as a friend owns one. Only thing he dislikes is the time it takes for power delivery, as its such a big engine 3.0l v6 i believe they weigh a ton, but once your crusing you dont realise what speed your doing.

May sound silly, but if your after a larger car that is still sporty, have you looked at a Skoda Octavia VRS, i know it sounds stupid, but the more you look at them and see what you get for your money, your laughing.
Leather interior, as big as the mondeo inside, 4 wheel drive, 1.8 20 valve turbo charged engine, 200bhp standard. And as its a VAG car you could take it to REVO and get the ECU upgraded for £500.....increase of 30bhp and massive increase in torque.

The plus side to getting one of the above is they will match or even better the st220 in terms of 0-60 and top end, they are the same size inside and both the skoda and seat are about £5,000 cheaper than the mondeo from new.

Only reason i comment on them two cars, is again, two work colleagues here have them.
I will find out the mpg from a friend for the st220.

marc.
Old 03 June 2004, 05:31 PM
Flat 4x4
Scooby Regular

Plod had bought a whole load more Octavias recently - not sure if that says more about their reliability and build quality or the ability to blend in to the traffic (as above), but I can't fault the one I've owned and remapped after several Subarus
Old 03 June 2004, 05:35 PM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's an ST owners club & I think they have a forum too. Their idea of fun is to go to car shows & open their boots.....

http://www.stownersclub.com/
Old 03 June 2004, 06:15 PM
p@ul
Scooby Regular

I had the st24 before my scoob and was a member of STOC from the begining
A few of the lads brought the st220 and from meets i went to i was very impressed with them.They aint the best lookin st made but are full of toys and pretty damn quick for such a heavy car,they do wind up slower than your used to but once there up there they keep up with most top cars.And motorway driving is a breeze
They get top marks from me m8
Old 04 June 2004, 08:57 AM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Looked heavily at the old ST24\200 when I last changed, had a 2.0si company car back then and the mondy was never a bad handler for it's size...

..but could not get away from it's bulk down twisty country lanes, not sure if the new one hides it's size any better.

What did I buy? An octavia 4x4turbo.
Old 04 June 2004, 09:30 AM
Karl 227
BANNED

Thumbs up

I've owned an ST220 estate for the last twelve months or so and am very happy with it. I use it mainly for business but have taken it for the occasional lap of the Nürburgring and it aint slow It handles very well, has nice Recaro leather, lots of toys, a fantastic sound, even the build quality seems ok! I don't do gallons but the average Liter per Kilometer since I've had it is 9.9 Liter/100km. I give it the thumbs up

Last edited by Karl 227; 04 June 2004 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04 June 2004, 10:19 AM
sickboy
Scooby Regular

thanks for the feedback guys.

SOunds like I could do a lot worse than go for one. Test drive on Saturday then....
Old 04 June 2004, 10:54 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Used to own a V6 Mondeo but the 2.5.

Good car, not a thing went wrong with it during ownership.

Used to get around 25mpg mostly town driving and around 35mpg on a run out. I once did Mansfield to Skegness an 80mile "A" road run in mildly heavy traffic so mainly around 50mph and averaged just over 40mpg.

Cheers
Lee
Old 04 June 2004, 11:43 AM
Cupramax
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by mgg

Tavia vRS's aren't 4wd. They also aren't 200hp standard... try 177hp (180PS). But agree'd once chipped they are rapido...
Old 04 June 2004, 11:57 AM
haynesaj
Scooby Regular

I had a Mondeo ST220 for weekend while I was trialling different options for a replacement company car (went for another Subaru in the end though! - not that was in any major doubt). Very nice looking car and very comfortable inside (lush compared to Subaru). Went pretty quick for such a large car and handling was good. I spent a lot of time that weekend ferrying my partners parents around and were pretty impressed with how spacious and smooth it felt - not exactly an advert for a performance car this is it? :-)....i quite liked it.
Old 04 June 2004, 12:31 PM
ianc
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cupramax
Tavia vRS's aren't 4wd.
No, but Tavia 4x4turbo's are.. surprisingly
Old 04 June 2004, 07:11 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Another vote here for the vRS. Nice and fast, nice and big and....nice

Steve

PS The vRS is the one to have not the agricultural4x4
Old 04 June 2004, 08:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Non go for the Mondeo, its the better handler with a more characterful engine.
Old 04 June 2004, 08:13 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

The new Mondeo is a lot bigger than an Octavia which is based on the small VW Bora saloon. Octavia does have a big boot but interior space still Golf/Focus/Bora standard.

The Mondeo is also better finished, more toys and the lovely V6.

We are not talking of cars in the same class though, the Mondeo does have a list price nearly £10000 more than the Octavia.

Price a lot close 2nd hand though.

Lee