Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

lotus elise

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2008, 11:21 PM
ross d
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lotus elise

hi all,thinking about selling my classic impreza which is running about 280bhp and buying a lotus elise,i havent been in one yet so i was wondering has anyone on here made this move,if so was it a good move.s2 111s would be my first choice but there still a bit pricey so i would consider a cheaper model.any info would would be great,thanks
Old 03 June 2008, 08:22 AM
wilffive
Scooby Regular

SELOC is the best Elise forum and place for info.

Lots of threads on here as well if you search.

Elise's are great and will blow your mind when you first drive it (unless you have experience of caterhams etc) its just whether you can live with the compromises.
Old 03 June 2008, 08:32 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

What about a NA VX220????

Good torquey 2.2 engines, and whilst not as light as an Elise still goes as its more powerful.

Having driven one was seriously impressed. Totally impractical (boot isn't too bad though) and a bugger to get in and out, whilst not offering the grunt and all out wet weather grip in crappy conditions of a Scoob they are a more satisfying drive, i.e. better steering, better handling, and better throttle response.

Try one and i'll think you'll be impressed.

Oh and 30mpg on a run
Old 03 June 2008, 12:43 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

Agree with above, and in some respects a better car than in even the VX220 turbo.

With regards to scoob to elise this post have been covered before worth doing a search. But yery simply so long as its a total toy and not really a daily driver then its a great car and will put a bigger smile on your face than the scoob even though it is slower.
Old 03 June 2008, 12:53 PM
RobEvo5
Scooby Regular

oh and if you use it for anymore than a weekend toy - Factor in a repsray once a year.

Both the Elise and VX seriously suffer from stone chips. I covered about 1000 miles to and from le-man after having my VX220 turbo resprayed just before and it was completely mullered after I got back and had it painted again.
Old 03 June 2008, 12:54 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went from a 313/300 Classic to an Elise S (134bhp) last year, and is my daily drive. I've driven it in all weathers and i'm yet to come un-stuck (touchwood )
Other that the getting in and out thing, the car is fine as a daily drive providing you don't have to carry much stuff around - boot is fine for an over night bag or two
If i was to do it again, i would buy an 'R' with the 190bhp engine which would be far quicker than mine in a straight line
Old 03 June 2008, 01:02 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!

I've had an Elise S1 between Imprezas. No disrespect to Imprezas, the Elise is a more rewarding drive.

I had a T plate S1 in Azure (blue) with 27k on the clock, cream leather and a few other options. I paid £8,500 in March 2006 and sold for £9,000 in the July. I could get near 50 mpg on a run on normal unleaded.

Straight line speed is nowhere near as fast as a high power Impreza, but low speed fun is much better. Even sitting in the thing and going nowhere is an experience

Anything pre 99 and you get the lower spec wheels and the dreaded red clutch cable. The later S1's had braided hose which meant there was no risk of being left gearless, and much nicer wheels. Try and find an S1 with S2 suspension, check for play in the steering, mayo in the oil cap. The head gasket is prone to failure as is all K series Rover engines, a £500 garage fix. The coolant level might be low and not on the marks, but this is fairly common and may be that cars natural mark.

On the plus side, nul petrol, high mpg, £30 front tyres and generally cheap parts. Look out for damaged clams as these aren't a cheap fix. Also, lift the carpet in the footwell and check for white powder/ holes. There was an issue with plastic carpets 'sweating' and rotting the aluminium underneath and making holes in the floorpan. Was a dealer fix for cars less than 6 years old IIRC.

More power, then go for a S1 111 (£8,500 plus), vvc engined and a bit brisker, but I was quite happy with the lower powered model.

Get a shower cape (circa £50), hard tops not needed. They sell for around £500 if your car does come with a hard top. Service history is a must, a recent C service is a big plus as this is the biggest service, cambelt etc and about £500. Expect a ss exhaust and air filter change on just about every car!

Looking at all that seems there's lots to go wrong! They are quite cheap cars to run though, and to be fair if something does go wrong they are inexpensive to fix. Insurance wise they'll be the same as an Impreza to insure.

I will be getting another one, possibly a S1 111 next time, but I wouldn't buy one early summer.
Old 03 June 2008, 05:44 PM
ross d
Scooby Newbie

thanks for the replys folks.think i need to get a test drive now,hopefully in one with the vvc engine