Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Anybody got a MK5 Golf GTi?

Search this Thread

Old 13 May 2008, 07:54 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Anybody got a MK5 Golf GTi?

I'm looking into a change at the moment.

I've got an Audi S4 Avant, which has performance by the bucket-load, but perhaps I'm getting bored of the whole thing. I've had it 2.5 years, and think I'm looking at a change.

Now the newer S4 is out of the question, due to stupid running costs (fuel, tax).

I'm trying to look outside of the box, and am looking at a Golf GTi mk5. Yes, it's down on power. A lot. But a Revo chip could bridge the gap.

What are they like to live with?

I'm also looking at an S3.....

There's a hatchback "thing" going on here!!!

Any other recommendations - I entertained the idea of a Focus, Civic Type R. Nothing French :P

Dan
Old 13 May 2008, 01:07 PM
the_msp
Scooby Regular

My friend has recently bought one, 1.9 TDI, comfy inside, good build quality, OK stereo, and torque isn't too bad.
Old 13 May 2008, 01:37 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are previous threads on the Mk V GTI on here.

I've nicked the wife's one whilst she is away on business. It does 37mpg where my Evo does 24mpg. The ride on 18s is a bit firm. Very easy to live with.

The Edition 30 or the latest equivalent with 230 BHP chips up to 300 BHP. Would be fun in the dry at least. The Mk VI isn't far away I gather.

For my tastes, it doesn't really go, stop, steer properly though, but then it probably isn't supposed to, it does a bit of everything with reasonable competence.

Last edited by john banks; 13 May 2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 13 May 2008, 03:30 PM
BigAl024
Scooby Regular

I used to have one before I bought the GB270. Very good little car. Good build quality, nice interior especially if it has the leather, good stereo etc. Its a nicer place to be than a scoob. But a scoob aint a good comparison, and I've never driven an S4.

As far as FWD cars go that I've driven, Its probably the best (That includes CTR, and LCR) . It handles well, has enough poke to not be a slouch, and the manual gearbox is great. I found the brakes werent the best on mine, so might be worth investing in this area should you go down the line of REVO or Jabba. Fuel economy is excellent considering its a 2.0 ltr petrol Turbo. I averaged about 35mpg.
Old 15 May 2008, 08:17 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Depends wht you want it for mate? you wouldn't believe its a turbo car driving it as the turbo is very flexible and so little lag, I'd go for a dsg with steering paddles with 18" wheels drives very well for a FWD and that gearbox is wicked,(no its not an auto) will easy out run the manuals.
Old 15 May 2008, 09:26 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My boss's girlfriend has one and he steals it all the time and loves it. Bearing in mind he has an RS4, that's a pretty good seal of approval. I really fancy one with DSG. If you're looking at new ones, what about the new Scirocco? Cheaper and better looking.
Old 22 May 2008, 11:02 PM
Vtec-Abuser
Scooby Regular

As has been mentioned. Your best bet is for the Edition 30 mate..
I've had mine a month now and love it.. Had Full Turbo back Milltek and Revo done already and it pulled 320bhp and 362lb/ft on the rolllers.
Also runs a 13.2 @107mph at the Pod, so the power is there..
Old 23 May 2008, 08:45 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

VERY nice indeed mate.

Just a bit of a waiting game at the moment - see what settles down in the economy (if anything!)

DAn
Old 25 May 2008, 06:28 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

The Edition 30 is no longer guys, it's been/being replaced with the Pirelli Edition same engine, but different interior (with a tyr pattern going through it) and different wheels. Prefer the Edition 30 myself.
Old 26 May 2008, 06:35 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

The wife's got a Mk5 GTi. Can't really fault it as it does everything well enough. As already mentioned, it does 35mpg and pulls well from low revs with no lag.

Having said that, it's nowhere near the thrill of my Scoob and the build quality is not what many people think. I go on golfgtiforum.co.uk and there are regular quality issues being brought up; far more than on this site.

As for Focus STs: I drive them at work and find them better to drive, but I would get no pleasure at all in owning a Focus. The Civic is a marmite car. I can't stand the awful ride, dash layout and lack of visibility (not to mention the lack of torque). I could not live with one at all.
Old 26 May 2008, 07:32 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark'sWRX
The wife's got a Mk5 GTi. Can't really fault it as it does everything well enough. As already mentioned, it does 35mpg and pulls well from low revs with no lag.

Having said that, it's nowhere near the thrill of my Scoob and the build quality is not what many people think. I go on golfgtiforum.co.uk and there are regular quality issues being brought up; far more than on this site.

As for Focus STs: I drive them at work and find them better to drive, but I would get no pleasure at all in owning a Focus. The Civic is a marmite car. I can't stand the awful ride, dash layout and lack of visibility (not to mention the lack of torque). I could not live with one at all.
A lot of people have great expectations of VW's build Quality, Having worked for them for a long time, I think the build quality is good the cars do have problems like all cars do, but most peoples perception of VW quality is so high that when they have a fault with their car it is such a big deal, I see it all the time, like anything in life faults can occur at any time.
I'd rather be owning a Golf GTi than a Focus/Honda.
Old 26 May 2008, 09:04 PM
Mark'sWRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by deangtiuk
A lot of people have great expectations of VW's build Quality, Having worked for them for a long time, I think the build quality is good the cars do have problems like all cars do, but most peoples perception of VW quality is so high that when they have a fault with their car it is such a big deal, I see it all the time, like anything in life faults can occur at any time.
I'd rather be owning a Golf GTi than a Focus/Honda.
I'm not saying the build of VWs is bad, it's just not as good as my previous cars (Toyotas, Mitsi and Nissan). I had no problems with any of them, yet Golfs are plagued by rattles and niggles.

However, the finish and design of the Golf is generally spot on and has little features I can only dream of in the Scoob (coming home lights, lit footwells, rear air vents......I could go on).

And yes, I'd rather have a Golf GTi than a Focus/Honda, which is why we've got one.
Old 26 May 2008, 09:12 PM
deangtiuk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mark'sWRX
I'm not saying the build of VWs is bad, it's just not as good as my previous cars (Toyotas, Mitsi and Nissan). I had no problems with any of them, yet Golfs are plagued by rattles and niggles.

However, the finish and design of the Golf is generally spot on and has little features I can only dream of in the Scoob (coming home lights, lit footwells, rear air vents......I could go on).

And yes, I'd rather have a Golf GTi than a Focus/Honda, which is why we've got one.
What a lot of people do forget also is the attention to detail like soft touch roof handles, damping glovebox lid, just the little things that people/customers oversee, I guess there is a happy medium somewhere, and depends on what you would expect from a car.
If you need any help with you GTi Mark give me a shout, will be able to get answer to most questions/problems.
Old 27 May 2008, 06:06 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

I've got a remapped mk5 gti and it's a capable car. Quick enough, handles well - a great improvement on previous version(s) imo.

Looked at the popular contenders when I got mine just over a year ago and while it maybe not the best in any one area it does so well in all of them that it got my vote.