Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scoob or Golf gti?

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2000, 12:03 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a choice of either a company Golf Gti Turbo, or a car allowance.

I drove both, and needless to say, I took the car allowance, and am now on my second Impreza Turbo!

You do get good build quality on the Golf, but I think it's a small sacrafice to get a far more powerful car!!!

Old 06 June 2000, 12:14 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Was reading about the Golf V6 4motion this week, still nowhere near as quick as a scoob, but 204bhp, permenant AWD and a six speed box - nice! Costs the same as a scoob now - £22,000.
Not my scene though, my next car will almost certainly be another scoob.
Chuck
Old 06 June 2000, 11:19 AM
Robbo
Scooby Newbie

Question

Well, I just can't decide. Other half says Golf, but are they anywhere near as good as a Scooby?

Also, any advice/contacts for importing either from abroad.
Old 06 June 2000, 11:27 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Seriously, what sort of response do you really expect to get to that question on this BBS?

Why not just test drive both cars and make up your OWN mind.
Old 06 June 2000, 11:31 AM
Triggaaar
Scooby Regular

Cool

When you say Scooby, are you talking about a sport, or turbo? If the latter, then your comparing different leagues - the days of the golf gti being hot are long gone - it's now a well refined comfy car. If you're not after a drivers car, do whatever the other half tells you.

Importing - I haven't seen any scoobs except the turbo available for importing - and you can't import that at the moment (unless you're after a 280 BHP WRX for £19k) as we're waiting for the new version.

For importing a golf, there are loads of sites - vigin.com/cars, showroom4cars.com, continent-vehicles.com, even the consumer association. I can't see the point in buying new from the uk.
Old 06 June 2000, 11:58 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Golf GTi = Fast Rep Car Scarer

Scooby = Ferrari Scarer

Nuff said
Old 06 June 2000, 01:38 PM
Ron H
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Been there. Bough the T-shirt.
I spent £22,000 on a top-spec Golf Gti 1.8T 3-Door. Full Leather Recaros, climate, electric roof,18'' BBS alloys, lowered from factory...the list goes on.
I got it chipped up to 185 bhp and put an induction kit on it. It was very quick but there is absolutely no comparison to my scoob.
They don't hold their value either. I got an abismall ammount for mine. 4 months after buying
I borrowed my mates UK turbo for a day when my golf was having some stereo fitted. And well.....two weeks later I got my Impreza.
The golf looked nice but there is no comparison. Get the scooby. Go on.....You know you want to.....

Old 06 June 2000, 08:21 PM
AllanB
Scooby Regular

My girlfriend has just started a new job and has a similar dilema. Personally I can't see what to recommend the Golf on and the Scooby is pretty well screwed together. I probably more reliable than the Golf which does have a more upmarket interior.

Golf GTI 20V just breaks 11 seconds for 0-60.no GTI these days ..more like some clever marketing for a flabby family saloon.

AllanB
Old 06 June 2000, 10:51 PM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just the other day a dude in a GTI had the nerve to challenge me,
it was like racing a Focus 1.6, it SOOOOOOOO slow I (and I think also the guy in the Golf) couldn't beleive it.
and to all you guys who say it's better built, take a look at the J.D.Power and the Autocar long term test, where they said it looks better built but after 20k in it they realized it was less so then the Astra and Focus.
I read the V-6 test in Autocar, it's slow, doesn't handle and costs more.
Old 07 June 2000, 08:54 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Talking

It's such a difficult decision. Surrender to the herd and become an anonymous mediocre performance car owner, or re invent the phrase;

"I'm just popping down the shop love. I'll be 2 hours"

blubs
Old 07 June 2000, 09:32 AM
Justin
Scooby Regular

Wink

Is this the "Can you guys post some good stuff about Scoobys so I can show my Girlfirend" thread?

It must be, because you can't seriously be considering a Golf over a Scooby! On the M3 the other morning I saw a new shape Golf GTi which had the badges changed to read 'FLOG iT' Say no more!
Old 07 June 2000, 09:39 AM
Lou
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha..... (sorry I can't stop laughing)

Lou
Old 07 June 2000, 10:25 AM
Showtime
Scooby Regular

Don't ask such silly questions !! where's your thinking man
Old 07 June 2000, 01:40 PM
krisw
Scooby Newbie

Also been there and what finally clinched my decision to get a Golf was security. There are a lot of threads on here about this issue and I just dont think that I want to be concerned all the time about where I had left a Scoob including my drive-so its a Golf. Im awaiting delivery of a GTI Turbo from a dealer in Belgium- climate control, 10 cd changer £14,500ish (depending on exchange rate),about 3 months wait. Mine should be ready in about 2 to 3 weeks. As others have said, dead easy to do yourself, no need to use a broker. Mail me off line if you want details of the dealer or any other info. Cheers
Old 07 June 2000, 01:47 PM
Chris_Driver
Scooby Newbie

Robbo

I've got a 1.8T Golf Gti as my company car. It is a nice enough car to live with - but given the choice I would most definately go for the Scooby.

I have to say I have never driven an Impreza (although I have been a passenger many times), but having - attempted - to follow my friend's Impreza while following the Rally of Wales in March the differences in ability of the cars was striking.

In order to keep up I was absolutely at the limit of the car, which didn't make it a particularly pleasant place to be for my passenger! My friend and I can lap within 0.1 of a second of each other on a track, so the difference is solely in the cars. From experience the Subaru appears so much easier to drive at moderately quick speeds. It has what the Golf lacks - traction and grunt!!

Pro's for the Golf:
- Nice enough handling (for FWD - although Pug 306 Gti kills it)
- Very nice interior
- Quite comfortable for cruising motorways
- Definately "girlfriend friendly"

Con's:
- Not even in the same league for performance as a Subaru
- Quite expensive for what you get (my 3 door with all the options except leather came to £19.2!!)

Depends what you want from a car - but if it were me I would go for the Subaru...

Chris
Old 07 June 2000, 01:57 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Wink

No contest, the GTi wins every time!
Old 07 June 2000, 02:08 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

I'm swapping my Scoob for a VW Beetle (Golf GTI in hairdressers body). I am do this under severe protest, but a deal is a deal and I promised my girfriend she could have the VW over a year ago.

Buy the Scoob, even if it is only a Sport and don't go through the agony I'm experiencing. Aaaarrrrhhhhhhh!
Old 07 June 2000, 02:10 PM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

Test drive them both...then go and buy the Scoob. If you do this and buy the golf, I will start a "Save Robbo" charity personally.

Stu
Old 07 June 2000, 03:24 PM
D Brown
Scooby Regular

Smile

Looks like 11-1 to the Scooby then, forgetting the Beetle. I wonder what the score would have been on a VW Golf BBS?

Having had 9 months of each Impreza and 1.8T GTi, my summary is that they are both good cars, but a different things. Chris Driver summed it up best, the Golf is not anywhere near the same league as the Impreza for performance, but it's quick enough to get you anywhere in a hurry, in the dry!
Old 07 June 2000, 03:34 PM
Nick Lines
Scooby Regular

Talking

Take a long test drive in both. The Golf may be more what you're looking for. Better ride quality, better interior...

A friend has the 1.8T. Nice car, but for me the Scooby is much more of a driving experience - it makes you want to drive it for the love of it, rather than to just get somewhere.

I would imagine that the Golf would be better for long motorway journeys. The seats are, to me, much more comfortable than the Scoob's.

For me, it wasn't even close as the Subaru is superb: it's exactly what I want. Fast, safe, fun. The Golf Pros may outweigh the Scooby cons for you.

Try 'em.

Old 07 June 2000, 06:26 PM
GranTurismo
Scooby Regular

This must be as silly as asking....

Britney Spears or Pat Butcher... I cant decide.

Golfs are OK but if you want FAST then buy a Scooby.....