Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Best tyres for a Volvo T5, anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 14 January 2002, 10:36 AM
bigmac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone got recommendations for what rubber I should stick on the front two tyres of the wifes motor? (tyre size is 205/50VR16).

thanks in advance, Mark.
Old 14 January 2002, 12:40 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

As this is the same size as the 16" Impreza wheels take, I would go for the 'usual suspects' discussed in the Wheels, Tyres & Brakes Forum:

Toyo Proxes T1-S
Bridgestone SO3PP
Goodyear Eagle F1
Old 14 January 2002, 12:53 PM
bigmac
Scooby Regular

Cheers Carl
Old 14 January 2002, 01:38 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

WHOA!

The T5 is a tyre eater (same power as an Impreza but FWD), you would be better going for harder wearing performance tyres. The Bridgestones and F1s would get eaten in no time, the Toyos not a great deal better.

As the T5 is no real performance car, I would go for the high performance Michelins (forget the name, but same as fitted to the new M3 as standard). The performance on a T5 will be as near as dammit unaltered, but life will be doubled. You could go to an extreme and go for Continentals, but they won't offer anything like the grip!
Old 14 January 2002, 01:39 PM
Karlos Fandango
Scooby Regular

Try looking at www.volvoclub.org.uk/forum main.htm there have been a whole host of discussions on what tyres are the best.

GaryC, the T5 is no real performance car?????????? They may be heavy but do shift when prompted

Karl

[Edited by Karlos Fandango - 1/14/2002 1:43:21 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 05:22 PM
GaryC
Scooby Regular

Straightline speed does not a performance car make

Karl - the T5 is a fast saloon, but no real performance car, and doesn't get the benefit out of top-spec soft rubber - hence current tyre being V rated tyre I would go for at least a W rated and many put Z rated tyres on, but they arn't needed

I've driven a number of T5s, a tuned 850R and a V70R. All are relatively fast in a straight line, and with stiff suspension, corner well (on billiard table smooth surfaces), but performance cars in the ilk of an Impreza/Evo/M3 etc they are not.

[Edited by GaryC - 1/14/2002 5:26:29 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 08:35 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Cool

You may want to have a look at Michelin Pilot Primacy tyres that have replaced the old HX Pilot.

A sporty tyre which is hard wearing. Managed 20000 miles on a front pair of HX's on a hard driven V6 Mondeo. Grip is very good in dry/wet, only ever got the traction control telling me off if I was very brutal. Primacy's seem even better than the HX. They may be a better bet for the T5 rather than the softer compound tyre favoured for the Scoob.

I paid £105 per 205/50 W16.

Cheers
Lee
Old 14 January 2002, 08:57 PM
bashy
Scooby Newbie

Well i never!!!!

Upsetting us T5 owners, whatever next?

Well it just so happens, i did have a wee play with an R reg WRX
It left me in 2nd but as we climbed upto about 120 (on a track)i started catching up (big time ) and we were going up a steady incline! then he bottled it and backed right off!! oh dear maybe there wernt as much left under his foot as he thought there was! I wont say what i have had out of myn as people do get offended, but i have broke my record (on a track of course)!!!!

I must admit, on gravel we dont stand a chance lol

There, just thought i'd add my 2 pence worth!!

As for the tyres try the yokohama A539's good tyre and there is an offer on at the moment, failing that i do like the tread on the F1's
I am currently using Goodyear NCT5 WR I Got then at a discounted rate @ £180 the pair, did not get them by choice (it was an emergency) But they are ok!!!

Catcha

Bashy

[Edited by bashy - 1/14/2002 9:02:13 PM]
Old 14 January 2002, 09:24 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Some Michelin Primacy info.

For high mileage drivers and executive saloon drivers:
Road holding improved by up to 14%* during cornering in deep water,
Braking distance reduced by 9.5%*,
Unique asymmetric tread pattern,
Faster speeds before aquaplaning occurs and improved safety.

* Compared to Michelin Pilot HX MXV3A

In tune with high performance cars
Vibration reduced by up to 6%*
Noise reduced by up to 13%*
Optimum size and distribution of tread blocks contributes to the reduction of vibrations.

Braking distance in the dry from 62mph to 0 is reduced by 8.9%*!
Precise and progressive handling. 8%* increase in tread pattern rigidity leading to a more wear resistant tyre, large tread blocks on the outer shoulder and completely new architecture.

Homologated by major vehicle manufacturers such as Audi, BMW, Citroën, Ford, Nissan, Opel, Peugeot, Renault, Saab, Vauxhall, Volkswagen, Volvo.

Cheers
Lee
Old 14 January 2002, 11:28 PM
Noiseboy
Scooby Newbie

Smile

Hi Scooby Dudes,

Have to agree with my Volvo buddies here!

A539s get my T5R off the line, kinda spin free - which is good given the 250BHP and FWD.

Also - at the risk of an inter-board incident, I gotta agree with the comfort comments. I do 30k miles a year and the T5R is the most comfortable car I ever drove, and most police drivers seem to agree.

Lots of love to all you scooby fans, and "Well Done Chap" to the guy who has both marques in the family. (If only we could all have two cars in this league!)

Best Regards,

Phil :-)
Old 15 January 2002, 08:30 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Ok so mine is slightly lighter than a T5, now with the same power. Came as standard with W rated Conti Sport contacts. They have the highest tread wear rating of all the W rated tyres at 280. The Michelins are 200, P Zeros 140, Good Year F1 200. The contis grip well in the dry and aren't too bad in the wet. I've done 16000 miles since end of Sept and am down to 3.5mm at the front. Fitted as standard on quite a few Porsches IIRC.
Old 15 January 2002, 05:47 PM
S70T5
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Hiya everyone,

I've had both cars. A jap import scooby and Now an S70 T5...

The RA was nice and fast but was dam uncomfable to drive. The T5 is constant power will no flat spots. The handling isnt as great standard but would only require about 2k to be spent to get some good suspension upgrades done.

I've a friend who drove a P1 the other day and was depley upset with the power in the low end of the car. He even mentioned that the car he drove afterwards (A modded MGF) felt quicker....

I can't agree until I've driven both those cars..

But I never slate a car until I've had a good go in one myself.

Cheers

Gareth
Old 21 January 2002, 01:28 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Hi there
WE have a C70 GT at work, 250 BHP model
It is currently running on Bridgetsone S02's and has been for some time. grip is great and we are getting around 18K out of the fronts and 30K + out of the rears. it is driven in a 'spirited' fashion shall we say!

I get around 20K out of a pair of Goodyear F1's on my Scoob so as long as you are not doing racing starts you should be OK wear wise,
any tyre will wear out on no time at all if you drag start 'em Michelin/goodyear/whatever tyre./compound.

Old 21 January 2002, 05:06 PM
tyre monkey
Scooby Newbie

Talking

Michelin Pilot Sport for Grip
Pilot Primacy for wear

Avoid
Pirelli
Goodyear F1s

F1's are fine on scooby, but when the police had a goodyear only tyre policy, a lot of T5's munched tyres at an alarming rate. The Michelins seemed to be the best solution, more so for a volvo than a scooby

Jamie
Old 22 January 2002, 03:11 PM
MarkJackon
Scooby Regular

I got sick of buying Pirelli P zeros at 150 a pop, now on "Star Millenium" cheapies and they do the biz, cant tell the difference, even the smoke smells the same !

£45 each + fitting

They seem to grip just as well and given that the T5 is compromised in that it puts out 225 BHP thru the front wheels I feel it would overwhelm the grip of anything short of a racing slick

The missus uses it most of the time anyway so I saved the dosh towards my next car......