Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Volvo S80 D5

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2007, 11:17 PM
RS Grant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo S80 D5

...as a follow up to my previous thread about which car would suit my old man who's looking to replace his 2001 530i SE Saloon. I met someone that had owned an S80 and was very impressed with it. He's been in and out of E-Class, 5-Series, 7-Series, Audi A6 etc.. so he has a reasonable background to compare the car to, but he said that the best cruising car was the Volvo S80 D5 SE Lux that he owned.

Was just wondering if people on here had any other information about these cars?? Experiences, both good and bad would be appreciated.

As a reminder, my dad's brief is simple:

- Must get 35mpg+
- Uber reliable.
- Comfortable to drive and able to soothe away the monotony of the motorway (does 22-25k a year).
- Highly spec'd on the inside.
- Depreciation isnt important as he runs them well into 6 figures so it will become worthless no matter what the badge says.
- Image isnt too important either, its a tool for getting back and forth as easily and effortlessly as possible to my dad, nothing more.

Other cars considered were the 530d and a E320CDi.. but when you look at getting a top spec 2006 Volvo with 20-25k miles for the same money as a 2003 BMW or Merc with 50-60k miles, considering my dads requirements, its tempting..... as long as it is going to tick the relevant boxes.

Cheers,
Grant
Old 17 September 2007, 06:59 PM
stuh1981
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dad is on his 7th Volvo and is looking to get his 8th in the next six months. He swears by them. I must admit I have a soft spot for them also.

The D5 models are really fantastic. Certainly as good as any BMW or Audi diesel. The only thing with Volvo sallons is that they depreciate more than the likes of Audi or BMW but your Dad is not worried about that anyway.

They are without doubt one of the comfiest cars on the road. I think the S60 and S80 were in the top 5 in the last JD power survey for comfort.

My Dad has had his last Volvo for 8 years and the only time it has been in the garage was to get a service.