ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Should I report this accident?

Search this Thread

Old 15 February 2001, 09:36 AM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Bit of advice needed from you clever lot.

Last night I was driving along the motorway and came up to a grit spreader driving slowly in the middle lane. There were a couple of cars behind in the left lane so I moved out into the middle lane behind this Volvo S80. They're all hanging back as the speader is really chucking grit about!

Since my car is not worth a lot, I thought I'd overtake. So I waited until a beemer (must have been a company car) overtook me, and then I pulled out into the right lane behind it.

But as I was halfway past the S80, the driver decided he would also overtake the spreader, but clearly he hadn't seen me! I slowed, jabbed the horn and lights, but this idiot came right out and struck my left wing with his rear quarter. We both kept in control and continued to overtake the spreader.

Next the S80 moves into the left lane. I'm thinking at this point "this is the last thing I need after writing off my Scoob last year - even though this is not my fault, I really don't want to have to report it to my insurance company." But to my surprise the S80 just sped off into the distance! When I got home, to my surprise there is no visible damage to my car.

Trouble is, I thought that by law you must stop after an accident, and neither of us did. To make sure that I don't get into trouble later, should I report this to the police?

What if the S80 did get damaged, and the driver reports me for not stopping after hitting him?
Old 15 February 2001, 10:05 AM
robski
Scooby Regular

I would report, tell them what you just did, and that he sped off. Say that you didnt think to get his plate.

That way if he does report you should be ok.

If you dont report, you dont know what he will tell them if he reports, and you could be dumped in ****e.

Chances are he didnt get your plate either.

robski
Old 15 February 2001, 10:10 AM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

seconded -- I'd report it. Had a low-speed shunt into the back of a 3-series BM 9 months ago, but he had a towball so no damage to him. Cracked my bumper. We exchanged details, he said he wasn't going to do anything but I rang the cops & insurance anyway. They just log it as a no injury / no claim incident -- doesn't affect your insurance or anything.

Good job there's no damage to you! Best to be honest tho'
Old 15 February 2001, 10:16 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Yep, Robski is on the money, report it, that way you are 'covered'
Old 15 February 2001, 10:20 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed - come clean - it will go no further no doubt - but you need to cover your 4rse

The Volvo obviously knew it was his fault so legged it.

Insurance Company wont hold it against you if there is no claim - just say no damage done - no claim from you - just reporting it as a matter of courtesy.

Pete
Old 15 February 2001, 01:33 PM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

It's up to you, but what accident?

There is no visible damage to your car and to quote Bart Simpson, you have no proof, nobody saw me do it.

I don't get this anyway, so the Volvo reports you. So what? It's his word against yours. Surely this is a nonsense. If I damage my own car on a wall or fence or whatever all I have to do is take the reg of the next dented car I see in the car park or wherever and phone Old Bill to point the finger and they will investigate?

Don't make me laugh.
Old 15 February 2001, 02:47 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Angry

Thanks for the advice guys.

What a PITA - I rang the police and was told that I HAD to report this in person within 24 hours of the accident.

So I've just been to the local station where I was dealt with by Mr. "what's customer service eh?" Arrogant B***d. First he makes sure to point out that I'd committed an offence by not stopping, but then asks me why I'm reporting it when there's no damage!

So what was I supposed to do - pull over to the hard shoulder and sit there twiddling my thumbs and wait for xmas or to be killed by a runaway lorry?

Anyway, I've filled in a report so I should have covered myself legally.

I don't think I'll report this to my insurance company - what's the point?
Old 15 February 2001, 03:29 PM
Richard F
Scooby Regular

Hmmm as I understand it you don't HAVE to stop unless there's damage to the cars involved. You only HAVE to report it to the police in that case and/or in the case of damage to someone else's property (like if you hit a lamp-post or something).
Old 15 February 2001, 03:46 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Dippy
I have just come across a Black Volvo S80 with a damaged front wing (could you have been mistaken as to the point of impact, no offence). I have the reg if this is any use Please email me.

Paul

Old 15 February 2001, 06:29 PM
Dippy
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Richard,

That doesn't really tie up with what the copper said, and besides I thought that there would have been some damage based on the force of impact so we both should have stopped to check.

Paul,

Thanks but it was a silver one.
Old 15 February 2001, 07:59 PM
Dick White
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

i would have kept my mouth shut.

Simple
Old 15 February 2001, 10:13 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Cool

Yep, U did right in reporting it to the plods, s called covering u r own **** wouldn`t report it to my insurance myself Hard 2 remember during an accident but after a few u know the drill.. ALWAYS get the other vehicles licence no. Granted u r mota wasn`t damaged but if it was u`d have fun with u r insurance claim....

Pete
Old 16 February 2001, 10:03 AM
kryten
Scooby Regular

Had something similar many years ago.

Got hit by someone cutting across a mini roundabout - he then sped off. Managed to catch up with him and get him to stop about a mile later.

I Tried to report it to the police, but as there were no injuries and he did eventually stop (!) they weren't interested.

On top of all this, when I tried to claim from him, he wouldn't fill in a claim form for his insurance company, so they refused to pay out as they had no confirmation the accident occured - he may as well have had no insurance!!

My insurance company/broker were useless so in the end I had to resort to a personal trip to the small claims court!