Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Kia Cee'd - good effort Kia - how did they do it?

Search this Thread

Old 30 May 2007, 03:03 PM
Tart Man
Scooby Regular

Location: Custard, Strawberry, Apple, Blonde, Brunette...its all good!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Kia Cee'd - good effort Kia - how did they do it?

Been driving one round for several weeks (CRdi). And I have to say, its not a bad motor

The Koreans have come a long long way, thats for sure.

They copied the Focus/Mazda 3 looks (exterior and interior) with a hint of 307 here and there, the steering and brakes are as that of a Renault (superlight, little feedback and grabby, not a good thing...but the Megane is the same, new focus has similar characteristics too) , and the Ride/handling is like that of a Pug 307.

All in all, take the badges off it and you'd be hard pushed to tell who made the car.

The 1.6 CRdi engine appears to be an all alloy twin cam 16v and a crossflow inlet/exhaust arrangements. With common rail using your typical Bosch fueling system with variable geometry turbo, (I had a nose under the bonnet) VERY similar to the PSA/Ford/Mazda 1.6 unit.

So who made the engine? Is it borrowed off Hyundai, co-devolped, copied off Ford/PSA or did they do it all on their own?

I've googled but info seems fuzzy at best.

Performance is also similar to the PSA/Ford/Mazda engine, its obvious it also has a overboost feature to give a touch extra poke, but being the lower power model, like the 90ps Focus and 307 it runs out of puff easily especially at high revs...better use the toque and keep in a high gear; it happily chugged along up motorway hills 4-up at 90mph and even though I've not spared the horse, its still averaging 48mpg on the trip computer

Mind, they aren't cheap new, but should a great 2nd hand buy...if you can get over the badge.

Last edited by Tart Man; 30 May 2007 at 03:14 PM.
Old 30 May 2007, 03:50 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

I'm borrowing one for 3-day test drive this w/e.

Not going to buy one, but having heard good things about it, thought I'd take Kia up on their offer and see for myself what the fuss is about. I should be getting the 1.6 CRDI 110hp version.
Old 30 May 2007, 04:22 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Also had a 1.6CRDi for a few days, decent performance and ok to drive. A good well built car and a 7 year warranty!!!

Maybe my wifes next car.

Cheers
Lee
Old 30 May 2007, 06:40 PM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by logiclee
Also had a 1.6CRDi for a few days, decent performance and ok to drive. A good well built car and a 7 year warranty!!!

Maybe my wifes next car.

Cheers
Lee

Cant argue with a 7 year warranty.
Old 30 May 2007, 06:51 PM
Prasius
Scooby Regular

yip - all in all can't complain about that car at all really.
Old 01 June 2007, 03:47 PM
ImNotAudiLover
BANNED

Maybe my wifes next car.

Cheers
Lee
Dont you like your wife?
Old 02 June 2007, 05:18 AM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ImNotAudiLover
Dont you like your wife?

Have you not read the posts above?

It's a good quality, reliable small hatch that's nice to drive and she wants a good quality, reliable small hatch that's nice to drive.

Cheers
Lee
Old 02 June 2007, 10:00 AM
ImNotAudiLover
BANNED

Have you not read the posts above?

It's a good quality, reliable small hatch that's nice to drive and she wants a good quality, reliable small hatch that's nice to drive.

Cheers
Lee
but its a kia
Old 02 June 2007, 01:44 PM
pete higham
Scooby Regular

Location: Salford & SMACS,,,,,,,,, and in the smacs muppets and numpty thread

but its a kia

badge snob!!!
Old 02 June 2007, 01:48 PM
ImNotAudiLover
BANNED

kias arent safe.

Id rather get a skoda or seat.
Old 02 June 2007, 02:13 PM
slim_boy_fat
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pete higham
badge snob!!!
No, just Richard Head
Old 02 June 2007, 04:17 PM
Tart Man
Scooby Regular

Location: Custard, Strawberry, Apple, Blonde, Brunette...its all good!

kias arent safe.

I'd rather get a skoda or seat.
How do you know? Ncap have yet to publish their findings on the C'eed

Whereas current generation Kias which have been tested have performed well - a vast improvement over older generations.
Old 02 June 2007, 07:35 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tart Man
How do you know? Ncap have yet to publish their findings on the C'eed

Whereas current generation Kias which have been tested have performed well - a vast improvement over older generations.
That's correct, the old Sedona's and early cars were poor but the new 2006 on crop have achieved at least NCAP 4. Which equals the Skoda and Seat Rivals.
With the Ceed being an all new model I would expect either a 4 or 5 star rating.

Cheers
Lee
Old 02 June 2007, 07:46 PM
projectsubaru
Scooby Regular

As mentioned cant fault the new ceed looks remarkabley like a toyota corolla !! And the 7 yr warranty means you will have little expenditure bar tyres and other consumables so should prove a good choice. If you keep it for 7 years then who cares if its worth next to nothing at the end of it and with it being a diesel it will be cheap to run with a reasonable tax braket too anyone know if the engine is kias own or a buy in from another manufacturer ?
Old 05 June 2007, 12:56 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Just finished my 72hr test drive in the car and can say that it is a very good car indeed. Roomy, comfortable, very well equipped, properly screwed together, nice looking interior and in the version I drove, the 1.6 CRDI 113bhp LS, a brilliant engine. Its a little beauty of an engine, very quiet, torquey and economical, I averaged over 50mpg for the time I had the car, including shuffling around the North Circular on Saturday afternoon.

Few things I didn't like were the gearbox, long throw and notchy, seats need a bit more lateral support, tyre noise but it was using Michelin Energy's, and the right hand side indicator stalk. Apart from that I couldn't really fault it.

Ignoring the money side, its a very nice car, but throw in the current price offers and the 7 year warranty and its an awesome package.

The one I drove would be £14.5k OTR (before haggling) at the moment, including Climate, Alloys, Remote Locking, Electric everything, MP3 CD with Aux and USB inputs. You can't get close to that with Focus et al.
Old 05 June 2007, 02:52 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

Mrs is looking for a new car (needs to be an Auto) and I showed her the Cee'd but she didn't fancy the body shape. I quite liked it too.
Old 05 June 2007, 03:40 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reffro
and the right hand side indicator stalk. Apart from that I couldn't really fault it.
H'actually, this is the CORRECT side for the indicator to be. Very few manufacturers do this on right hand drive cars. Essentially, it means you can change gear and indicated simultaneously. Can understand it feeling alien but it still the correct side.
Old 05 June 2007, 05:25 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
H'actually, this is the CORRECT side for the indicator to be. Very few manufacturers do this on right hand drive cars. Essentially, it means you can change gear and indicated simultaneously. Can understand it feeling alien but it still the correct side.
Nahh, having driven lots of cars with right hand side indicators, left is best. Not out of familiarity but sense too. You shouldn't have to change gear and indicate simultaneously, Mirror Signal Manouver remember, If you are changing gear before indicating something has gone wrong. Not always the case but mostly is.

One exception and this is where it also fails, is on roundabouts. Acclerating from rest onto a r/b, turning right, so indicating right as I enter, I need to select 2nd gear and indicate left to leave the roundabout. Doing this I have my left hand off the steering wheel and the right hand is not near the indicator as I have turned the steering wheel 1/2 turn. And yes I haven't used the push pull method. Therefore I have the choice to either continue in 1st gear and rev the nuts off the car, or loosen my grip on the steering wheel to allow me to twist my wrist to poke a finger near the stalk in the vain hope I might be able to flick the stalk up and change gear at the same time.

Doesn't work aswell as being able to use my left hand to both change gear and indicate, whilst still having full control of the steering with my right hand.
Old 06 June 2007, 01:51 AM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Looking get this as our runaround, but only 2nd hand. I will wait a year and see values then.