Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

V8 project car?

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2007, 09:08 PM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question V8 project car?

Looking for a project car. Hopefully an old V8 such as 60's mustang. Would like to rebuild it. Doesnt have to be a mustang but preferably a V8. Any suggestions? anybody with any experience of doing something like this?
Old 10 April 2007, 02:38 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Get your *** over to the projects section, and ask for 911 aka Graham, he's got the odd one or two 'interesting' vehicles in his back catalogue

From memory the Chevy Nova was always a popular choice. Something to do with them being cheap, plentiful and having a V8 built in the right half of Detroit I think
Old 10 April 2007, 12:11 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would start with something with the Rover V8, although the parts are in good supply for the american stuff, the Rover unit is always going to be cheaper to do, plus being aluminium its a lot lighter for hauling about.
Old 10 April 2007, 03:38 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Depends what sort of car you want to end up with, but if you are looking at restoring a classic car with a V8 you could do a lot worse than a Sunbeam Tiger

Sunbeam Tiger Owners Club

Same V8s as the Mustang in a smaller body all developed by Carroll Shelby, who has said a well sorted Tiger is a better car than a Cobra.

I run over 400bhp with mine - a '67 Mk2 stroked to 302ci - so the possibilities are endless
Old 10 April 2007, 03:59 PM
VXRBOY
Scooby Regular

Cheers for replies fellas, went into project cars section and got a reply from 911, who suggested e-bey. Loads of choice on there, dont know which to look into.
Robinsherwood, thanks just been on the sunbeam site, looks interesting. Don know if its the car for me tho. Really want a US aggressive looking V8.
Old 10 April 2007, 04:27 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Classic Ford Capri.

As John Barker's done in Evo. Rover V8 and Mk1 Capri.
Old 10 April 2007, 05:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, another vote for the mk1 Capri, just make sure you do something with the rear end, quite fancy a Cossie engine one, looking subtle looking on Minilites, however unless the suspension issues would suggest that a high revving engine with less torque than a V8 or big turbo'd four might be a better solution in a light, rwd car with archaic suspension.
Old 10 April 2007, 10:13 PM
Minitrue
BANNED

Location: The Ministry of Truth. War is Peace: Freedom is Slavery: Ignorance is Strength

Originally Posted by VXRBOY
...want a US aggressive looking V8...
Really; the sunbeam Tiger is a US car; as was the AC Cobra. Both have very little left in common with their mundane base vehicles...
Old 11 April 2007, 01:06 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Minitrue
Really; the sunbeam Tiger is a US car; as was the AC Cobra. Both have very little left in common with their mundane base vehicles...
I think this 2001 Classic & Sportscar article featuring my car tells anyone everything they need to know. It compares my Mk2 Tiger v AC Cobra 289 Mk3 v Shelby Mustang GT350

Classic & Sports Car, February 2001

It is only fair to say though the article doesn not really explain the spec of my Tiger, which is one of the most developed road Tigers in the UK - However the results speak for themselves. She has been timed at Gurston Down doing 0-60 runs of between 3.4 and 3.9 seconds so it must rank as one of the ultimate classic 'Q' cars. (Even if I do say so myself )
Old 11 April 2007, 03:02 PM
Minitrue
BANNED

Location: The Ministry of Truth. War is Peace: Freedom is Slavery: Ignorance is Strength

3.4 seconds? F*k me! That is fast.
Old 11 April 2007, 03:16 PM
Pagan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RobinSherwood
I think this 2001 Classic & Sportscar article featuring my car tells anyone everything they need to know. It compares my Mk2 Tiger v AC Cobra 289 Mk3 v Shelby Mustang GT350

Classic & Sports Car, February 2001

It is only fair to say though the article doesn not really explain the spec of my Tiger, which is one of the most developed road Tigers in the UK - However the results speak for themselves. She has been timed at Gurston Down doing 0-60 runs of between 3.4 and 3.9 seconds so it must rank as one of the ultimate classic 'Q' cars. (Even if I do say so myself )

ROFL - Who the hell's Dave Butcher.. trying to stop you right clicking on the photo's on his web site LOL

Old 11 April 2007, 03:26 PM
Tobisausage
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pagan
ROFL - Who the hell's Dave Butcher.. trying to stop you right clicking on the photo's on his web site LOL
This dude

Old 11 April 2007, 03:29 PM
Pagan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tobisausage
This dude

Old 06 November 2007, 12:36 AM
dave289
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Pagan
Originally Posted by Tobisausage
This dude

I guess that would be .... ME !!!

Ironically, the only reason why I made a half-hearted attempt to prevent any visitors to my web site from right-clicking and stealing the pictures on it was at the insistance of magazines like .... wait for it .... "Classic & Sports Cars" .... when I asked them if I could include articles such as the Tiger vs. Cobra vs. Mustang comparison on my Cobra 289 web site pages !!!

Even more ironic - I now have a 2007 Subaru Forester 2.5 XT Turbo in my fleet !!

Best regards,

Dave Butcher
Old 06 November 2007, 12:28 PM
RobinSherwood
Scooby Regular

Hi Dave,

Welcome to Scoobynet.

Regards,

Robin
Old 06 November 2007, 01:30 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Might I suggest that you would actually be better off with a yank small block V8 as opposed to the Rover unit (ok hair splitters - the Rover was a Buick motor, but you know what I mean...).

The parts prices from places like Summit Racing and Jegs etc are very cheap, especially compared to Rover parts. I should know as we did a big block rebuild and it worked out very reasonable indeed.

I would personally say a nice Chevy V8 in a late 60's Camaro would do nicely. Easy parts access via the Interweb and all the parts places are open for phonecalls when you get home from work as the States are 5+ hours behind us. The service from the likes of Summit and Jegs is, dare I say it, better and faster than many uk parts suppliers. Duty is 3.5% and then 17.5%vat on auto parts.

Good luck.
Nige.
Old 06 November 2007, 01:44 PM
Andy T
Scooby Regular

Location: Northampton Xbox360 Tag - GTMonkeyboy Project-Stealth Wagon WIP

Came across this site the other day,

http://www.monstermiata.com/v8Miata_...Page=CarPhotos

The idea of an MX-5 with a big V8 seems quite apealing, very 'Q' car
Old 10 November 2007, 09:56 AM
dave289
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by RobinSherwood
Hi Dave,

Welcome to Scoobynet.

Regards,

Robin
Thanks Robin.

If you only knew how much I want a Sunbeam Tiger (260 or 289) .... they are so underrated, and it would be a great addition to my Cobra 289 replica (Rover 4.6 V8) .... but unfortunately Tigers are like hen's teeth in Germany, and I had so many problems importing and reregistering my '98 SVT Cobra Mustang from Texas to Germany in 2003 that I can't face going through that procedure again to bring a Tiger in from the States just yet .... also I need to sell at least two toys before I have the finances and garage space for a Tiger .... but it will probably be my next toy !!

Regards,

Dave.

P.S. I wanted an Impreza Estate, but since it is a company car, I thought that I had better play safe and ask for a Forester 2.5 XT T instead .... that was approved instantly, so I now wish that I had chanced my luck and asked for the Impreza after all !!