Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mustang - OK with kids?

Search this Thread

Old 19 March 2007, 10:17 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mustang - OK with kids?

We're off to the States on holiday this year, and browsing the car rental sites I noticed you can get a 'Stang. Now I've always fancied driving one of these, and the price is quite cheap

Thing is, there will be my wife our 8 year old son as well as me. While I'm sure we can get him and our luggage *in* will it be too tight a squeeze for a 10 day jaunt around California? We won't be driving a lot, but I don't want any moaning from the back about how cramped it is.

Anybody got experience?
Old 19 March 2007, 11:52 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

I hired one last year (convertible), and although no-one was in the back at any point i do remember it's quite small. Not sure if it's too small for a kid though. Oh and the boot on them is pretty pathetic too, something to bear in mind if you have a fair bit of luggage.

The year before I had a Sebring convertible which is far more spacious, but a lot more boring too!

Oh and all the car hire places I could find only done the V6 version (4-litre so not too bad) with an automatic gearbox. Ugh -- damn Americans and their inability to drive V8 manual would have been so much nicer, but you can't have it all.
Old 20 March 2007, 12:21 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you asked his opinion?

An eager 8 yr old who wants to impress his mates may well say yes. When he later complains, just say "But you chose it!"
Old 20 March 2007, 02:39 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Brendan,

I think I know the answer. Yes it will be great, but then the reality will sink in after about....oh....10 mins and then we'll have 10 days of moaning. And the alternative is a big SUV which also has its appeal if you're 8 (or 44 ).

By chance I bumped into a mate who'd hired one last week and he said they've VERY small in the back.

Ah well another way my life is compromised by kids. That's an observation, not a critism.
Old 20 March 2007, 02:46 PM
joey_turbo
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I see one in a showroom near essex subaru breakers. In Wickford. It was screaming out for a test drive
Old 20 March 2007, 03:07 PM
Nigel H
Scooby Regular

Ta
Old 20 March 2007, 08:36 PM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

how about a Hummer!

BTW, I had a Mustang convertable last week and it was an absolutely terrible car. 3 speed automatic for gods sake. 4 litre V6 which took about 2 secs to kick down and then the acceleration was only about the same as a diesel Golf - and a lot noiser too.

They do look nice though and comfy up front. 8 year old kid would find it big enough in the back, but you'd have to make the call on whether it was big enough with all your luggage.

Andy
Old 20 March 2007, 11:18 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Nigel H
And the alternative is a big SUV which also has its appeal if you're 8 (or 44 ).
I rented a Toyota 4x4 (I think a 4Runner) in the US for 4 days. I can honestly say I was more scared driving that on the freeway at 65mph than my Scoob in Europe at 130mph. It was like trying to steer a cheap foam divan. You've been warned.
Old 20 March 2007, 11:20 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

lol hes only 8 meaning hes small. Should be enough space, especially seein as the car is designed for the fat ******* over there.
Old 20 March 2007, 11:39 PM
Paul_M
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scrappydog
how about a Hummer!

BTW, I had a Mustang convertable last week and it was an absolutely terrible car. 3 speed automatic for gods sake. 4 litre V6 which took about 2 secs to kick down and then the acceleration was only about the same as a diesel Golf - and a lot noiser too.
The one I had was a 5 speed, still sucked though. I can't stand gayboxes, unfortunately in the US you don't get much choice