Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Elise or Similar

Search this Thread

Old 20 March 2007, 03:00 PM
paulpaulpaul
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Elise or Similar

Currently own a 325 CI which is not so practical with a family that might become 5 of us in the next year or so,

So im thinking of getting a Navara on contract hire through my company and selling the BM and with the sale of that spend it all on a two seater sports car.

Im more interetsed in the 0 - 60 speed rather that 100 + as I dont speed

Probably looking to spend 10 to 15 K, I really like the look of an Elise but what models / age should I go for and what should I avoid.

Any advice appreciated

Also if anybody owns or has driven a Navara and whats to pass comment on them thens also appreciated !
Old 20 March 2007, 08:46 PM
scrappydog
Scooby Regular

111S circa 2003 is probably just within your budget

Lotus : LOTUS ELISE 111S

if you want to spend less, then try and get a 2002 onwards model as these came with "short roofs", which are much easier to put up and down.

Typically many of these will come with the Lotus 135 engine upgrade, which isn't really worth anything extra (often done when cars suffered early head gasket failure), but worth having.

If you fancy something with more acceleration, then why not look at Vauxhaul VX 220 Turbos?

Vauxhall : VX220 Turbo - 8,600 miles - one owner

You'll get a newer car, with more power and similar handling.

Honda S2000 is worth considering as a more practical, but still raw driving experience. Overall driving experience is maybe not so much fun and normal speeds.

Cheers,

Andy
Old 20 March 2007, 09:32 PM
KJD Mk1
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For that money go for a S2 111s but as said get one with a "short " roof.
S2's are slightly easier to get in and out of than a S1, better build quality and a few more toys.
Get used to having a perma grin when driving
Old 20 March 2007, 11:07 PM
SimonGawthorpe
Scooby Regular

I agree with the above re the diff between S1 and S2. However don't get hung up on the short roof option. I have a "long tailed" 2001 roof and its just as easy to get on and off. It takes me about 30-40 seconds to do it if I am in a rush.

Si

p.s. Lots of Elise threads on SNet at the moment!!
Old 20 March 2007, 11:51 PM
T-gro
Scooby Regular

I picked up my 03 111s just over a week ago, changing from a V5 type-r.

Firstly, everything you read about them is true, an awesome car, I could drive it 24 hours a day

I bought the 111s mainly because I want to use it everyday as much as possible, and it has a few advantages over the standard model if you want to do that.

I got one with aircon. The Elise can mist up pretty badly. I went for a test drive in one and had to wait about five minutes for it to clear, the aircon clears it much quicker. By all accounts the heater is better on aircon cars too.

The 111s actually has better (slightly) fuel economy than the standard car too! I've done a few hundred miles now, and never dropped below 40 mpg.

It also has lower CO2 emissions. I'm not sure if it's so much that they fall in different tax bands, but it was a pleasant surprise to find that a years road tax was only about £125 (I say only... still a ridiculous amount....)

Honestly though, most of the differences fall into the piddling category. It's such a unique driving experience that I'm not sure it's worth spending more than you really want to for a few luxuries. Certainly, if I couldn't have stretched to the s I'd have been perfectly happy getting a standard model, especially if I wasn't going to use it everyday.