Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

A Noble?

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2007, 06:05 PM
Suuba
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Noble?

Seriously looking at buying one, few years old small mileage (17k)

Whats the good and bad points? what are they like quality wise?
Old 26 February 2007, 06:58 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Go drive one mate. I've driven the 340R and the then just released M400. Must say its the fastest thing I've ever driven, or it felt like the fastest thing I've driven. The twin turbo V6 is a monster. Drove a Sagaris on the same day and that felt slow in comparison.
Can't comment too much on the handling as it was pissing down with rain.

It has a very offset pedal set up which meant I always felt uncomfortable driving it. Build quality is poor/flimsy.

Good luck
Old 26 February 2007, 07:50 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Well sorted car. A mate of mine had an M400 which was a serious car, quick, very quick. Not an every day car though, I would have a look on Pistonheads as there are quite a few owners on there.
Old 27 February 2007, 08:33 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

If you plan on tracking it, try to make sure the Noble has a racing sump.

I have seen a few Nobles in TVR garages where they have had engine seizures due to the oil not circulating efficiently under high force cornering.
Old 27 February 2007, 09:58 PM
SimonGawthorpe
Scooby Regular

I have done a fair bit of research on Noble's over the last few months.

I currently have an S2 Elise and would really like a Ferrari 348 next. When I realised that I probably couldn't afford to maintain the Ferrari I looked at the Noble M12 as a younger alternative.
I read a lot on the PistonHeads forums. What I quickly came to realise is that Noble's can easily cost as much to maintain as Ferrari's. Some of the servicing and repair costs are staggering. I have read owners reports where their Noble's spend more time in the garage broken than they do on the road.

However, if you can afford to maintain it and don't rely on it for transport every day then get one!!!!

Echo the post about track day sumps. I also reads a lot about LSD's going wrong in a big way!

Si
Old 27 February 2007, 10:06 PM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Best thing is head over to pistonheads have a read for a while and then make a decision...
Old 27 February 2007, 10:34 PM
STEVECHAPS
Scooby Regular

Stunning car, visually, aurally and dynamically - when it's working right.
I had a M12 GTO 3R for 7 months in 2005.
The caveat above is very relevant as there's a few things likely to go awry!
In the "They all do that sir" category is:
1) They Leak - so unless you have a garage & only drive it on dry days expect water coming in thru the side windows. There is a 'fix' but that doesn't work.
2) The forward turbo gets very very hot, stretches the bolts & leaks air (a zipping sound). Solution = engine out to replace bolts!
3) Handbrakes don't work (They just don't!)
4) Water ingress onto one bank of plugs can lead to misfire or running on 3 cylinders (regularly).
5) They smell of petrol.

I could go on but that would suggest they're not very good cars when really the opposite is true, they're brilliant.
What needs to happen is that you get a low mileage one (btw 17k is considered stratospheric amongst Noble enthusiasts/dealers & resale is very difficult for any car with more than 10k miles - trust me I know , which has had an enthusiast owner & been pampered. And mods - walk away, fast.
You need to go into ownership with eyes open, it's not reliable jap clutter. Servicing is costly (Basic service £600+ iirc rising to £1100 for major one which don't include any extras. Cam belts are chains so don't need replacing though), + parts expensive. The lack of dealers means that you can be well & truly stuck when something goes wrong.
As an only car/daily driver they're not really on, best for a weekend toy.

On the + side they really are special. The twin turbo engine is a belter, spools from nothing & really delivers, the actual engine is brilliantly built by rousch & bombproof if unmolested. The intake sound, especialy on the 2.5 & 3 (not so much 3r) is awesome. They have handling which is as stunning as you read about in the magazines, just you and the car, no abs, etc etc. Zero understeer & the chassis communicates with the seat of your pants so you know exactly what's going on, if you're a crap driver you will know!
You can stop people in there tracks & putting petrol in often took ages with folk approaching for a chat & a look-see.
You can make a TVR Cerbera 4.5 LW owner pull up & say "I need more power".
You can make a tryer in a M3 vanish in your mirrors on the m'way (up to 70 m'lud)
If I could afford it & I had somewhere to put it when not in use I would have another as a 2nd car, no question. I would just have to also have a disposable £5k p.a. for running it too!
HTH, Ste
Old 27 February 2007, 10:41 PM
AJF
Scooby Regular

where are you finding them for 17k have not seen one under 22k

Adrian
Old 28 February 2007, 11:14 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

17000 miles..
Old 28 February 2007, 10:41 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Echo what Steve said above ^^

If you buy a Noble, make sure you keep enough in your budget for an umbrella and a fire extinguisher.

You'll need either, or both, nearly every time you drive it.

You gotta love 'em though