Drivetrain Gearbox, Diffs & Driveshafts etc

AF Noble back box ???

Search this Thread

Old 25 August 1999, 12:42 AM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the folks in Scotland...

Has anyone had one of AF Noble's back boxes fitted? (i.e. AF Noble of Penicuik, near Edinburgh). Any comments on it's sound, performance, and quality?

The back box is a copy of the Prodrive item manufactured by a "local bloke" who specializes in bike exhausts. The mechanics showed me the item when I was there last week (bodywork repair ). It's stainless steel and seems to be a good quality build but the exit lip is relatively unfinished (i.e. not rolled, but a straight cut - you can even see the fine "saw" marks). At 300 quid (+VAT?) fitted it's comparible (if not a little cheaper) with most other back boxes.

One thing that did surprise me was the mechanic's view of the Scoobysport back box. Quote "poor quality... had trouble on a few vehicles". Probably AF Noble's sales pitch as it's the first complaint I've ever heard about the SS box.

Me, I'll go for the Scoobysport box unless someone shows the AF Noble one to be equivalent or better.

See you all at Knockhill tomorrow (S55CPU reddish blue 4dr)
Old 25 August 1999, 01:28 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

In the last year and a half since i have had an Impreza, i have never heard a complaint against a Scoobysport back box. It sounds to me like the guy has had to order a certain number of these things from the bloke down the road and needs to sell them quick to get his money back. As for the tailpipe not looking fininshed, thats not very professional is it, unless the pipe is formed like the HKS or Trust systems and has the sharp edges removed they look a complete disgrace on the car ??????
Old 25 August 1999, 07:31 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

This gets more interesting

This is the same dealership that told a customer that our Cibies have set cars on fire (absolute rubbish).

As for problems with our exhausts, we have never supplied Nobles with anything, although we regularly supply virtually every other dealer in Scotland with exhausts and lights. They comment on the ease of fit and excellent quality/performance.

There are many exhausts available for the Impreza, but this is the first I know of that has a roughly hack sawn tail pipe.

Perhaps the "Grunge Car" look is all the rage in Pennicuik.
Old 25 August 1999, 11:48 PM
leaskc
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you've been to Penicuik before, Pete?

IIRC, my (Scottish) dealer regularly fits SS boxes to his demonstrators...

'nuff said...

Cameron

(ps - Slightly off topic - anyone noticed that the SS box sounds better the longer you've driven for? On my recent trip to the South of France, it sounded fine after driving to Folkstone from London (surely long enough to warm it up?), but after the drive to Bergerac which was more-or-less non-stop, it sounded brilliant...! The locals in the petrol stations just stopped and stared... oh well, lots more miles for me, then... ;> )

[This message has been edited by leaskc (edited 25-08-1999).]
Old 26 August 1999, 09:09 AM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

Pete (and all)... I was really surprised to hear AF Noble knocking the SS exhaust. SS seems to be the most prolific exhaust fitted to the Impreza and this is the first time I've heard anyone have a bad thing to say about it. OK, any item may have a one off quality issue (not saying this is the case with SS), but the comment from the guy at Nobles seemed a little unwarranted IMHO.

The AF Noble exhaust quality... it's not as bad as a "hack saw job" (you see some VERY fine sawing-type marks), it's just not as cleanly finished an edge as I would expect from something that had been cut with a tube cutter. In fact you probably wouldn't notice the "poor finish" once a little exhaust muck had accumulated. IMHO the rest of their exhaust seems of very good quality.

P.S.
I'm not trying to knock Nobles... they've just done a very fine repair to my car and colour coded the sills (looks the biz!). In fact I'm even considering changing my allegance to them.

[This message has been edited by ColinU (edited 26-08-1999).]