Thread for UrQuattro (vs Impreza) people

Search this Thread

Old 12 February 2007, 08:58 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thread for UrQuattro (vs Impreza) people

I driven both the UrQ and classic Impreza quite a bit over the years
and just wanted to share a thoughtful comparison (that I mostly agree with) that another scoobyneter sent me awhile back:

If any scooby/UrQuattro owners agree/disagree with this sentiment let me know.

UrQuattro vs Classic Impreza
"The steering on the impreza gives a better feel for how much grip there is at the front tyres - e.g. the feel of the steering changes when the tyres start to run out of grip. The quattro steering didn't really relay that info. particularily well. I found that with the quattro i tended to notice the front end of the car yawing wide rather than picking the signals up through the steering. This is less effective in that the cars already out of shape whereas with the impreza you can take corrective action before it actually happens.Your theory about it happening more often is an interesting one but i don't think it does - the impreza is more prone to oversteer whereas the quattro was more of an understeerer, due to that lovely 5 pot sitting right out in the nose.

What happens to the quattro when it runs out of grip? This is perhaps one of its best aspects as its enormously docile - if its understeering you just lift a bit and the nose comes back into line - if you snap it shut then sometimes the tail will move out slightly but responds to reducing the lock on the steering - it's all very gentle, pleasant and enjoyable. Alternatively, if its really slippy e.g. snow you can boot the tail out but will respond to a lift or flick of the steering - it doesn't really seem to like being out of shape, it always comes back to straight very easily - it seems to have a large amount of natural centring/stability - perhaps it's the nose heavy 5 pot that assist this? I think that's the crux of the difference between the quattro and the impreza - the impreza doesn't have the willingess to snap back into shape, it's quite happy to travel up the road completely sideways and you have to be far more accurate with the corrective action to keep it together. Depends what you look for in a car, i guess. The impreza's more satsifying when you get it right - it's a greater challenge / test of your skill. However, i would definitely prefer the quattro in really bad conditions as its less likely to end up on its roof in the ditch."
Old 12 February 2007, 09:25 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Interesting comparison.

The only bit I dont get - Is when it is stated that the Scoob was more prone to oversteer. A standard classic is deffinately more prone to understeer.
Unless a) It is provoked - trail braking or b) It has DCCD like STIs.

Steve
Old 12 February 2007, 09:28 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Old 12 February 2007, 09:44 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiLover
Good
Stay asleep as you have nothing to contribute
Old 12 February 2007, 09:59 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Steve,
Your right most Impreza do have more understeer, I think
this owner had a 1995 Impreza WRX STi Type RA.

I think the old Urquattro has some interesting
handling attributes; that is the self-centering that
many talk about.
JL
Old 12 February 2007, 10:04 PM
Seamaster
BANNED

Ur quattro will remain a classic for many more years, A good 20v is a far better investment and Classic drive.
Old 13 February 2007, 09:25 AM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Dad had 3 uR Quattros (last one was Treser) and he still reckons they were the best cars he's had and one of the best he's driven.

I was pre 17 though so sadly only got to ride in them (at silly speeds).
Old 13 February 2007, 12:25 PM
prodriva
Scooby Regular

Location: "Every one should have a friend called Dave - they're the human equivalent of a Swiss Army knife!!"

Matteeboy, I remember the Treser well. That time your Dad took us out onto the A3 with us two in the back and your Grandad in the passenger seat. That was one quick ride, compared to my Dad's Citroen CX 2400
Old 13 February 2007, 12:36 PM
Matteeboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by prodriva
Matteeboy, I remember the Treser well. That time your Dad took us out onto the A3 with us two in the back and your Grandad in the passenger seat. That was one quick ride, compared to my Dad's Citroen CX 2400
LOL!

It was the most 80s car ever wasn't it (two tone paint, very 80s alloys, brown interior,etc)?!
Went damn well though and was sold just before we moved to Cornwall (he thought the car wasn't suited to being down here!)
The A3 was the racing road of choice - He raced some cops in his 928 (and lost them), raced that daft V8 pickup (and snapped the propshaft and was launched into the air!), and all sorts there.

Too many speed cameras now - Tried to emulate those days on the A3 in my old R32 but it was impossible.

Noticed the Ferrari garage has shut down too - Shame. Used to love seeing them blast past on the way to the shops!
Old 13 February 2007, 12:50 PM
niall1
Scooby Regular

I have both and agree with the summary. I've changed the ARB's on the 22B to make it less snappy into oversteer and was thinking of adding one to the rear of the ur to help it's *** get around corners
Old 13 February 2007, 12:56 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

I had a Ur quattro 1987 while having my MY03 JDM WRX STi.

To me the two cars were totally different. In a nutshell, I would much prefer to take the Ur on any long drive as it swallowed the miles with ease. Whereas with the scoob it becomes tiresome after a couple of hours.

I was suprised at how well the Ur felt, it inspired more confidence going through bends on public roads. This prompted me to upgrade the JDM suspension.
Old 13 February 2007, 01:01 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

I've had both, MB quattro and a standard bug eye wrx.

Agree with what you say pretty much.

I think my quattro sounded better, but that might of had something to do with the 3-4inch system I had on it, with only the rear silencer to keep things quiet.

Last edited by ^Qwerty^; 13 February 2007 at 01:02 PM. Reason: blah
Old 13 February 2007, 07:41 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Spen555,

"I was suprised at how well the Ur felt, it inspired more confidence going through bends on public roads. This prompted me to upgrade the JDM suspension."

After you fitted the new suspension how did they compare?

Thanks, JL
Old 13 February 2007, 11:23 PM
SPEN555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jeremy
Spen555,

"I was suprised at how well the Ur felt, it inspired more confidence going through bends on public roads. This prompted me to upgrade the JDM suspension."

After you fitted the new suspension how did they compare?

Thanks, JL
The scoob with the AST's and type25 set up is awesome especially with the RE070's. However for UK crappy roads the Ur gives a better ride I think in part helped by having a higher profile tyre.
Old 13 February 2007, 11:40 PM
Seamaster
BANNED

Mine was looked after by GTi Engineering . They had done th eengine before I bought it and had also swapped the suspension. They serviced it for me and fitted some disks and pagid pads (best I have ever had on a car)

I should never have sold it.

Not many good 10's or 20's around, very soon the prices will start to go up. I bet many scoob owners wished they had invested in one or at least driven one. No matter what I always stop and look around Ur's. Scoobs i dont even notice.

I dont know the guy. But I see his car often near a camera shop I use. its a red 20v with AP brakes and all the rest. In realy top top condition. Old guy who can "Drive " by all accounts. I would love to have such a car.
Old 14 February 2007, 05:38 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

SPEN,

"The scoob with the AST's and type25 set up is awesome especially with the RE070's. However for UK crappy roads the Ur gives a better ride I think in part helped by having a higher profile tyre."

AND

"I was suprised at how well the Ur felt, it inspired more confidence going through bends on public roads."

Thats pretty darn interesting stuff. So if I get you right you feel
that with the Litchfield type20/25 suspension the Impreza can match the confidence and predictability of the URQ only wth a rougher ride? Any differences besides ride quality? Certainly something as good as the type 22/25 has handling abilities the Audi dosn't no?

I have a theory- shared by many on here over the years, that indeed as you say a lot is down to tires. That is *small* tires 15/16 inch, with around 45/50 aspect being about right for most mid-weight cars, work much better for all-around/weather use.
Old 16 February 2007, 06:28 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

I think this was a pretty informative thread.
Here we have several Impreza drivers who
say, in addition to myself, that there are
other cars and more specifically ways of
designing cars- and 4-wheel drive ones at
that, which handle the same roads as well
and *better in certian circumstances.
That all the extra tire and wheel size and
horsepower are really not the main issues to
designing a highly competent road car.

I think pretty soon there will be a day when
we'll all be able to design our own cars;and
this will prove more beneficial to us all.
All one has to do is look at this X-1 project
EVO-powered X-Works Automotive sports car unveiled - Autoblog
No question this car is moving the game on
from what the oem manufacturers are willing/able
to give us.
Old 16 February 2007, 06:54 PM
lem6
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AudiLover
lol
Old 17 February 2007, 11:39 AM
RedScoob
Scooby Regular

Yeah, all fair comments. The Quattro seemed to be able to carry more speed through corners, simply because the driver never got worried about what would happen to the handling when driving beyond 9 tenths. The Impreza makes up for that by being more urgent. Even now, I think there's nothing between them. They're different, but neither is better.
Seeing an UrQ on the road is becoming a rare treat.
Old 17 February 2007, 08:58 PM
jeremy
Scooby Regular

Red Scoob:

"The Quattro seemed to be able to carry more speed through corners, simply because the driver never got worried about what would happen to the handling when driving beyond 9 tenths. The Impreza makes up for that by being more urgent. Even now, I think there's nothing between them. They're different, but neither is better."

Its funny how some now always dock Audi's for
having such a heavy lump of engine so far forward, but it
seems with their older cars audi had it right- so maybe front
engine weight isn't such a bad thing if the car itself is not too
heavy?

Also funny how as Red Scoob says its a matter of confidence
into and through the corners not necessarily how much grip
your generating but what the feeling is like for how much you
have left and what will happen as grip is leaving. Indeed this is
one camp, the safe grip most of the time with slight understeer
dricers; as opposed to others like the old web master Simon who felt
controlled oversteer- if your a good enough driver, is best. Tough call.

Last edited by jeremy; 18 February 2007 at 02:54 AM.