The perfect car?

Search this Thread

Old 22 October 2006, 10:24 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The perfect car?

Does the perfect car exist?

I want a car that thrills me like my old WRX did, that costs as little to run as my diesel Bora does, that loves the back lanes, that loves the motorway commute, that no-one else at work has, that my neighbours will be jealous of, that looks good, that has room for a baby seat in the back and a pram in the boot and that costs less than £10k.

I bet it doesn't
Old 22 October 2006, 10:31 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV

I want a car that thrills me like my old WRX did, that costs as little to run as my diesel Bora does, that loves the back lanes, that loves the motorway commute, that no-one else at work has, that my neighbours will be jealous of, that looks good, that has room for a baby seat in the back and a pram in the boot and that costs less than £10k.

I bet it doesn't
Well m8, if it did, I think everyone would have one!
Old 22 October 2006, 11:02 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Unless you can get an A4 2.0tdi/2.5tdi for under 10k then your snookered.
Old 23 October 2006, 01:41 AM
carl
Scooby Regular

I'm starting to think that the ideal car would be a BMW 330Cd Cabrio. But they're not under £10k yet.
Old 23 October 2006, 12:37 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

<deep breath> uber-high-mileage BMW 330d Touring bought at auction, DSC disabled, combination of radial and cross-ply tyres, Sport body kit, move to a council estate and get a job in a City stockbrokers</deep breath>

Seems to hit all the criteria...
Old 23 October 2006, 04:24 PM
Shark Man
Scooby Regular

I'm thinking old Alfa V6 of some sort (155/156/157). Running costs might sting that one though.

Or just go for an E39 530 and replace all the shocks and bushes by a good independant garage as soon as you buy it (trust me on this )....you'll get more car for the money than a comparable 3 series.

P11 Nissan Primera Sport+...well ok bear with me on this...it'll out handle anything else in its class despite being gutless in acelaration...but then thats why I also suggest fitting nitrous at a later stage But you neighbours won't be jelous, mind these things cost less than a packet of ****, so who cares?

How much are Honda Accords fetching these days? Should eb in the bracket by now....Lovely cars, only spoiled by razzy engines and lack of RWD.

Whilst I'm here - a Legacy H6 (if you can find one), bit detached to drive (typically Subaru imo - just softer). But a useful tool, that doesn't give you the image of one (unlike the Impreza )

VAG - does the job, always a yawn for sporty thrills, but you can't knock them for anything else, Octavia for cheapness, A4 for kudos....Passat good buy 2nd hand if you can find one with a good spec (like the W8 :norty ).

Wildcard: Jag X-type 2.5 or 3.0. Detached and podgy to drive and asthmatic engines, Love it, loath it, or fall asleep driving it, but it's a car too good to ignore....But the S-type is a better buy despite it being as ugly as sin and even more soft and sqidgy to drive.

But the X-types little brother a Mondeo V6 would address the driving issues...go for a 2nd hand Ghia-X and save a fortune on overpriced ST models.
Old 23 October 2006, 05:09 PM
scoobyboy1
Scooby Regular

I bet it doesn't
2.7 bi-turbo Audi S4 £9k
Audi : Audi S4 2.7biturbo Nogaro Blue - new price again!!

2.7 bi turbo Audi S4 Avant £10k
Audi : Misano Red S4 avant

Ticks all the boxes apart from running costs!
Old 23 October 2006, 05:17 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Running costs i assume are pretty important. My mother in law runs a Bora TDI. They average 45-60 mpg in it. An S4, even with an old codger behind the wheel wouldn't hit 30 mpg.

The 330d is the best car for your situation. You have to consider residuals aswel would be better in a £12k 4 year old 330d, than a 2year old £10k Alfa JTD. The only downside is the E46 BMW out sold mondeo's
Old 23 October 2006, 05:24 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

You've almost described a Mondeo. (which Clarkson also reckons is a fantastic car and that we'd all be driving one if it weren't for snobbery)
Old 23 October 2006, 07:48 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

no 3 series BMW other than a M3 is gonna be making any one jealous. Every amn and their dogs got one.
Old 23 October 2006, 08:11 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
You've almost described a Mondeo. (which Clarkson also reckons is a fantastic car and that we'd all be driving one if it weren't for snobbery)
Yep your right except for the neighbours and jealousy criteria.

Cheers
Lee
Old 23 October 2006, 11:14 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

OK, some good suggestions here:

BMW 330d - love the idea of a convertible but way over budget. Touring not a bad idea though, on the shortlist

Jag - love the idea of a 4.0 S-Type. Mrs won't let me unless I buy a trilby.

VAG stuff - prefer not as I have a Bora and find it unutterably dull to drive. Expect for the S4, see below.

Legacy - Love the idea of a Spec B but again a bit pricey and a bit old-manish. H6 probably too slow

Honda Accord - new shape ones are very nice nut not sure they're cheap enough yet.

Nissan Primera - No.

E39 530 - Is that the last shape before the current one? I like those but would probbly want a 540 'cos it's faster, innit Would mean having to overcome my BMW hatred, though. On the shortlist (but near the bottom)

Alfa V6 - Yep thinking 156 V6 but worried about running costs just fixing things! On the shortlist.

Audi S4 - Nice, but they're all going to bit a bit leggy at this price. On the shortlist. Especialy in blue.

Mondeo - Erm, maybe an ST model but I don't think there's any pride of ownership involved in Mondeos. I think I need to change my "make the neighbours jealous" to "invokes pride of ownership"

One car that I've taken a strange liking to is the MG ZT 260. I know it hardly meets any of my criteria but it's got a tunable V8 and is as cheap as chips.
Old 23 October 2006, 11:39 PM
Dill_typeR
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A pre-facelift Honda CTR?

I had one for a year, great fun to drive, reliable, space in the rear, look good.
Old 23 October 2006, 11:41 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

I have a Mondeo Ghia X 6sp at the moment as a company car until i decide what am doing. I can honestly say that if it wasnt for badge snobbery then i would keep the car. Its a total dream to drive, all leather & pulls when needed, also getting 45mpg.
You cant beat that with a wooden stick.
Old 24 October 2006, 12:12 AM
agent003
Scooby Regular

Perfect car... there isnt one

Obviously diferent people , diferent tastes hence opinions will difer on this hence adding more confusion to the subject.

The perfect car as far as im concerned is to one you buy...use it and when it comes time to sell owes you zero or makes you a profit

WBR
Old 24 October 2006, 06:58 AM
Torpid
BANNED

Originally Posted by agent003
Perfect car... there isnt one

Obviously diferent people , diferent tastes hence opinions will difer on this hence adding more confusion to the subject.

The perfect car as far as im concerned is to one you buy...use it and when it comes time to sell owes you zero or makes you a profit

WBR
From an unanswerable question comes a perfect answer. Exactly my philosophy.
Old 24 October 2006, 07:23 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

It may well be an unanswerable question, but the suggestions help. Clearly, I'm going to have to compromise somewhere (i.e. there is no perfect car). I just wanted to see what ideas people had.

There are very few cars in the £10k bracket that either don't depreciate or appreciate that are usable every day. I don't buy a car as an investment, I buy it as a tool but it's a tool I want to enjoy.

Last edited by NotoriousREV; 24 October 2006 at 07:27 AM.
Old 24 October 2006, 08:35 AM
Torpid
BANNED

It may well be an unanswerable question, but the suggestions help. Clearly, I'm going to have to compromise somewhere (i.e. there is no perfect car). I just wanted to see what ideas people had.

There are very few cars in the £10k bracket that either don't depreciate or appreciate that are usable every day. I don't buy a car as an investment, I buy it as a tool but it's a tool I want to enjoy.
Maybe looking at cheaper cars might be an idea then? Use and abuse, then throw away.

I wasn't suggesting that it wasn't a good question to ask either, merely that there is no real answer.

What would I do with 10K? Buy this

1992 PORSCHE 968 CS LHD Black, comfort, unabused, £9995
Trade Seller:

Mcp Motorsports

Contact number: 01263 822481

or even

1999 Jaguar XJR 4.0 Supercharged V8
Automatic, Saloon, Petrol, 94,000 miles, Sage Metallic With Ivory Hide Piped Sage, T Reg, Air Conditioning, Alarm, Anti-Lock Braking System, CD 6 Disk Autochanger, Central Locking, Electric Mirrors, Electric Windows, Fog Lights, Multiple Airbags, Power Assisted Steering, Traction Control System. Harmon Kardon stereo, 18" alloys, Motorola car phone, E/memory seats/steering colunm, Multi-function steering wheel, Full Jaguar service history. Just been serviced. Please click on the Dealers Website link to view more details and larger photos. £9,000.

With a grand left over to insure and fuel it for 100 miles or so.
Old 24 October 2006, 09:36 AM
Audibummer
Scooby Newbie

The perfect car is an Audi A6 2.5TDi 05 plate
Old 24 October 2006, 09:48 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Audibummer
The perfect car is an Audi A6 2.5TDi 05 plate
For a retired couple perhaps.
Old 24 October 2006, 11:34 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

I bet it doesn't
Buy a Renault 5 Or feel empty til you do