Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Leon Cupra R v 2003 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 20 September 2006, 03:44 PM
TurboBoost
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leon Cupra R v 2003 WRX

With a budget of 10 grand these look a pair of likely contenders. Been a while since I've driven an LCR. I recall it was pretty good, in the dry at least.

Have any people chosen one or the other?

Anyone know how much more the Scoob will cost to run over the LCR?
Old 20 September 2006, 05:29 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260
I have a jabbasport mapped LCR (270bhp) and it usually returns around 340-350miles per 55 litre fuel tank. I run it right down until the gauge says zero and then a little beyond that before refilling and im getting 55-56litres back in so my readings are very accurate!

Has to be run on 98ron or so it says in the fuelcap.

Tyres......18'' Eagle F1's £110 a pop (Front 2 will last between 15-20000)
Back 2 double that.
Pads.......£120-130 for DS2500 and will last about the same as front tyres

6mths tax... £107ish
Insurance 23yrs old £850per year
Average yearly service £175.

I do 6mth oil changes as running a lot more boost pressure than standard and that costs £50 a pop each time.

So not that expensive really until you start modifying and then its never ending

so whats that then, mpg? and does the cupra go well? scooby well?
Old 20 September 2006, 05:55 PM
gatty
Scooby Regular

i am looking on autotrader now cupra 225
Old 22 September 2006, 04:48 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

On the Seat UK website the Dealers are asking from between £14 - £16K

http://www.seat.co.uk/

New WRX at Motorpoint for that money!
Old 23 September 2006, 08:45 AM
sulli
Scooby Regular

You can get 350 a tank with the LCR, but you need to be cruising on the m-way steadily. Urban driving, traffic etc and I still get 25mpg, mixed driving gets 30mpg.
Better fuel consumption than Scooby, handling on a par, grip not quite as good off mark and obviously nowhere near in wet.
Very quick even in standard 210 guise, gets up to 140 quickly with no effort, and will do 150. I don't tink it's any surprise that a lot of track training schools use LCRs and that there's a SEAT championship with them - they are very capable cars, don't worry about the talk of torque steer and all that power going through front wheels - once you get used to it the only issue is if you want to beat a scooby/evo off the line in the damp - not that common an occurrence really.
Also, great family car (that's why we got it), 4 door, big boot, air con, well specced and well built.
Old 23 September 2006, 10:00 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

Sulli, "Gets up to 140mph quickly"??? If the 0-100 time is 17.5 secs (positivley pedestrian!!) How the hell can it get to 140mph quickly?
dave
Old 23 September 2006, 10:13 AM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

LCR doesn't look half as good or sound like the scoobies though! + you can only do 70mph anyway
Old 23 September 2006, 10:42 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesnt sound as good, I reckon they are better looking, I was thinking of going Diesel but am tempted by one of these.
Old 23 September 2006, 11:26 AM
misty
Scooby Regular

j4cko. I'd like to go diesel but I've slated them so often to mates, and on here I'd have to eat the biggest humble pie ever made mate...
dave
Old 23 September 2006, 12:14 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

My cousin has the FR diesel, its a really nice looking car, 150 bhp so plenty quick enough (he had an non turbo diesel Golf before so over twice as powerful), I like diesels, preferable to a small petrol but I love turbo petrols, even my LPT Saab and I think permanent diesel ownership may be a little dull, low down grunt is fine if you have some top end as well.

might just have to swallow the extra fuel costs, sometimes though the gap isnt that huge, Saab is doing 33-35 mpg on a motorway commute, diesel the same size what 45 mpg, diesel is dearer, needs more servicing and cost more to buy, in the long run I am not sure the savings are so massive, my brother in law sold a V8 Discovery to get a Golf TD and has done 30k in six years, might as well as have an R32.

I know I am going to like an LCR, would have to live with a diesel version for a few days to see if it p1ssed me off or not.
Old 23 September 2006, 12:43 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I know exactly what you mean matey I always think I want a diesel until I go out in the Evo! then all thoughts of one just get left behind in a haze of turbo exhaust gasses......So does everything else usually??
dave
Old 23 September 2006, 04:18 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by misty
Sulli, "Gets up to 140mph quickly"??? If the 0-100 time is 17.5 secs (positivley pedestrian!!) How the hell can it get to 140mph quickly?
dave
I think it's less than that, but I meant relatively anyway
At the risk of getting into a 'my car/**** is faster/bigger than yours' debate, certainly I have been side by side with Sti's in my standard 210 all the way to 130+, and the LCR is quick compared to most cars on the road. But, it's not an Evo or an M3 - you get what you pay for.
Old 24 September 2006, 03:11 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sulli
I think it's less than that, but I meant relatively anyway
At the risk of getting into a 'my car/**** is faster/bigger than yours' debate, certainly I have been side by side with Sti's in my standard 210 all the way to 130+, and the LCR is quick compared to most cars on the road. But, it's not an Evo or an M3 - you get what you pay for.
I've a remapped Octavia vRS with slightly more power (231 bhp) than a standard LCR and managed to stick with a standard STI yesterday (from a rolling start.............), so would reckon that a 225 LCR would be more than a match for a WRX, once on the move and in the dry

They're good handling cars too with great brakes (Brembos ), are well equipped, and have good tuning potential for not too many bucks.

Consumption? My Octy running on 99 octane will give over 40 mpg driven with reasonable restraint on a long run. Using the power is a different matter - on a 50 mile journey yesterday mostly on motorway and dual carriageway I averaged 49 mph and 35.2 mpg on the way there, but 69 mph and 24.5 mpg on the way back . Worst ever was 8.4 mpg round Knockhill . I'd imagine the LCR would be similar, as they are close relatives.
Old 24 September 2006, 03:26 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Sulli. Fair comment matey,
dave
Old 25 September 2006, 03:05 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by matchmaker
I've a remapped Octavia vRS with slightly more power (231 bhp) than a standard LCR and managed to stick with a standard STI yesterday (from a rolling start.............), so would reckon that a 225 LCR would be more than a match for a WRX, once on the move and in the dry

i just love these posts

i presume you know the owner of the STI because you know its standard.

But my point is, flat out, i cant see a Vrs even with 231hp sticking with the STI. What torque id your skoda pushing out. Also, there doesnt seem a great deal of difference in the curb weights, skoda 1265 kg (not tested) and My 2005 WRX weighs is 1303kg (tested). Not sure about the STI weight, could be more, could be less, but i doubt its by very much.

Dont get me wrong, the skoda is a very good car, probably more plus points for owning one than the scoob (in WRX guise) but the only place the VRS would stand a chance is in a straight line. i would say you would be able to beat (just) a standard model, but forget the PPP version and STI's.

some reading for you

This guy claims he can just about beat WRX's, but leaves STI's well alone

https://www.scoobynet.com/my-octavia...ia+VRS+vrs+WRX

And here is a 220hp octavia having its *** handed to by a standard WRX wagon, so can you draw your own conclusions before making wild and rash claims that have nothing to back them up.

https://www.scoobynet.com/just-quick...ia+VRS+vrs+WRX
Old 25 September 2006, 11:10 AM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION

i just love these posts

i presume you know the owner of the STI because you know its standard.

But my point is, flat out, i cant see a Vrs even with 231hp sticking with the STI. What torque id your skoda pushing out. Also, there doesnt seem a great deal of difference in the curb weights, skoda 1265 kg (not tested) and My 2005 WRX weighs is 1303kg (tested). Not sure about the STI weight, could be more, could be less, but i doubt its by very much.

Dont get me wrong, the skoda is a very good car, probably more plus points for owning one than the scoob (in WRX guise) but the only place the VRS would stand a chance is in a straight line. i would say you would be able to beat (just) a standard model, but forget the PPP version and STI's.

some reading for you

This guy claims he can just about beat WRX's, but leaves STI's well alone

https://www.scoobynet.com/my-octavia...ia+VRS+vrs+WRX

And here is a 220hp octavia having its *** handed to by a standard WRX wagon, so can you draw your own conclusions before making wild and rash claims that have nothing to back them up.

https://www.scoobynet.com/just-quick...ia+VRS+vrs+WRX
Oh no, it's the "Subarus are the fastest car on the road" argument again

My Octavia puts out 231 bhp, but more importantly 251 lbf of torque from 2000 rpm to 5300 rpm. I don't know the owner of the STI, but assume it was standard as I kept up with it. If it had been modified in any way it would have left me..................unless the latest trend in modifying Subarus is to detune them

The guy was trying - I could see, hear and smell it! It was in a straight line, exiting from a roundabout on a dry road. He couldn't shake me, I couldn't reel him in. Evenly matched, as far as I could see. He peeled off at the next junction, I at the next again. We met, going in opposite directions, about 5 minutes later and exchanged a flash of lights.

As for the threads you've quoted, in a drag from a standing start, any awd Scooby is going to beat a fwd car of similar power.

One of them was (if you'd checked) by me From the days before my Octy was tweaked for more power

0-60 times are pretty irrelevant in the real world anyway

Last edited by matchmaker; 25 September 2006 at 11:12 AM.
Old 25 September 2006, 11:24 AM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

My Octavia puts out 231 bhp, but more importantly 251 lbf of torque from 2000 rpm to 5300 rpm. I don't know the owner of the STI, but assume it was standard as I kept up with it. If it had been modified in any way it would have left me..................unless the latest trend in modifying Subarus is to detune them

The guy was trying - I could see, hear and smell it! It was in a straight line, exiting from a roundabout on a dry road. He couldn't shake me, I couldn't reel him in. Evenly matched, as far as I could see. He peeled off at the next junction, I at the next again. We met, going in opposite directions, about 5 minutes later and exchanged a flash of lights.

As for the threads you've quoted, in a drag from a standing start, any awd Scooby is going to beat a fwd car of similar power.

One of them was (if you'd checked) by me From the days before my Octy was tweaked for more power

0-60 times are pretty irrelevant in the real world anyway

Before you little mind runs away with you further, i know the first thread was posted by you

My point, is how on earth do you go from being able to keep up with WRX's, to keepeing up with STI's when all you have done is tweaked your car, i say tweaked, as a mere 15hp isnt exactly a great deal is it........

so read it and weap son.

as for the my scoobs the fastest thing on the road, well, that coment was a little silly was it not. i didnt say anything about my car or subarus being the fastest thing on gods tarmac'd roads.

But while we are on, the truth is, you drive a Skoda, and you have an inferiorty complex.

Buy a scoob and get over it
Old 25 September 2006, 11:29 AM
Rich D
Scooby Regular

You mean they're not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Old 25 September 2006, 12:08 PM
alwong
Scooby Regular

Wink

They are cos my daddy says so!!

p.s. But there not as quick as any car that's driven by a chav with a big exhaust, cos my cousin chaveta says so!!
Old 25 September 2006, 12:18 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alwong
They are cos my daddy says so!!

p.s. But there not as quick as any car that's driven by a chav with a big exhaust, cos my cousin chaveta says so!!

the post above could be seen as funny, for someone who hadnt seen that response before, but to say it again in the same thread, sorry, but you need to do better than that
Old 25 September 2006, 12:38 PM
andythejock01wrx
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm . I seem to recall only a week or two ago a former Cupra R owner coming on and saying that it had been a good, quick car but that the 220bhp or so through the front wheels sometimes didn't work too well. If the same car has 270 bhp, then the problem of getting the power down on the bends is only going to get worse.

The Scoob's 4wd does more than give it an advantage from a standing start !
(I know, having had quick Fwd cars in the past !).

Still, those running costs looked good and I don't doubt the Cupra is a lot of fun.
Old 25 September 2006, 12:57 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

i think a LCR would do a WRX, on a bone dry road in a straight line, may struglle out of slow corners and in the wet slightly but it's horses for course.

i also think that a revo'd LCR would have the edge on a STANDARD STI 7 or 8, pwr to weight wise is has an advantage and with less rolling resistance this will only add to the fact.

If STI had PPP the scoob would have the edge. I haven't got either car, although i have driven both........... but i am not going to lose any sleep over it..........just enjoy them for what they are.

I would prefer an STI out of the two, but i would more likely buy a LCR.

Power per pound the LCR wins.
Old 25 September 2006, 01:16 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Might as well just get an Audi S3 rather than the Cupra R, prices dont seem to be that much different, or am I missing something.

Drove a chipped S3 (about 260 bhp) and it is about the quickest thing I have driven, way quicker than the Scoob Terzo I drove (but that was standard apart from an exhaust so not really a fair comparison). In fact the S3 was so quick I couldnt keep up with it in my MK2 Golf GTI 8 valve, and I raced Diblos in that.....
Old 25 September 2006, 01:28 PM
EVOLUTION
Scooby Regular

all depends what you want the ar for.

if you want to race everywhere in a straight line on dry roads, may i suggest you move continents, like north america.

if however you are going to be more realistic, then for the UK roads, then it would be the dcoob for me.

not as well built as the LCR, the cabin feels generally a nicer place to be in the LCR, but the handling of the scoob X country is a match for cars with considerably more power than the scoob, let alone cars with less power
Old 25 September 2006, 06:53 PM
matchmaker
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by EVOLUTION

My point, is how on earth do you go from being able to keep up with WRX's, to keepeing up with STI's when all you have done is tweaked your car, i say tweaked, as a mere 15hp isnt exactly a great deal is it........

But while we are on, the truth is, you drive a Skoda, and you have an inferiorty complex.

Buy a scoob and get over it
15 bhp and 25 lbf of torque more - and the car is mapped for midrange power rather than top end, so has a lot of grunt on the open road. I'm happy with it

And its a superiority complex I've got

I did own a Subaru - sold it and bought a Cavalier 4x4