Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

help me decide

Search this Thread

Old 18 May 2006, 11:10 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help me decide

I have a WRX classic wagon (1994) which is subtly modified to 270 bhp so its fast enough.

Loved driving it over the last two years and surprising just about everything else on the road, not to mention all my passengers. Also took it to the track a couple of times.

But, I need a change. I want something that is a bit more special, something that does not blend in quite so much, something that is not a 5 door hatchback. Not just a family wagon with a great engine and handling. But I do not want an over the top boy racer car either.

I only have 7k. I do not care about petrol costs. The car should be good/interesting to drive on the track, although I hardly go - just once a year. Most importantly it should be fun to drive and reliable.

I have decided that I have two good options:

R32 GTR Nissan Skyline

like this:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...ai/skyline.jpg

Honda Integra Type R

Two very different cars.

The skyline has got my heart and I think it is a great special car that will not disappoint after 2 years in a scooby. Only problem is, is that I am at the lower end of the price range for these cars and there is some risk of buying a money pit.

The honda Integra Type R is also a great car. I can afford to get a reasonable decent one of these with little chance of mechanical problems. Only problem is is that I am worried that the lack of torque will disappoint, and the low gearing will drive me insane on the occasional longer trip.

In reserve I am slightly considering an LAncer Evo 4/5, a car more like what I have now, but more special and a change.

Which should I get???

Before you suggest other cars I have ruled out the cars below for the reasons stated (please don't be offended if you own these, it is just my opinion)

Anything european - bad reliability and poor value for money (on the cars I can afford)

MR2 - had one (NA) - and wife has a 2 seater (MX5), and bit too 'mid-life crisis'

MX5 - wife has one

200sx - used to really like these but gone off the boring looks of the s14/s14a and cannot afford a s15 (if I could find). S13 nice but not special enough.

All hondas bar the integra type R - various reasons.

Subaru - I need a change

R33 GTS - a bit common now, and I'm not too keen on the look anymore

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Roojai; 18 May 2006 at 11:46 PM.
Old 18 May 2006, 11:48 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

I don't think your budget will stretch as far as an Evo 5 unless you're planning on part exchanging your wagon too. You didn't state that either way.

An Evo 4 by all accounts is a good car. I've only seen one or two around where I live compared to loads of Subarus. It doesn't have AYC (5 Onwards) but is still a great handling car out of the box. If you can afford the regular servicing intervals (every 4,500 miles) I'd choose that. It has also been said that due to it not having AYC to sort out your cornering its alot better to drive at the seat of your pants.

Esh
Old 19 May 2006, 03:37 AM
STI VI
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ESH, Correction EVO4 GSR is fitted with EYC as standard only the RS version comes with no EYC and has an LSD instead, I bought one new in 1997 and lost a heap on the car so I should know! It was a good car, and apart from an issue with the Air bag I had no other problems in 18 mths of ownership........

STIVI
Old 19 May 2006, 08:56 AM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Well in that case theres even more reason to go and get one now!!

Sorry fot the misinformation.

Esh
Old 19 May 2006, 09:48 AM
Big a1
Scooby Regular

If you can find a nice R32 GTR, i'd be very inclined to go in that direction. Def a little more special than an evo.

This is purely based on a gut instinction and not factual info that the GTR would do X better than the EVO etc...

What about an rx7, sierra cosworth, elise, old TVR of some sort? Just a few other thoughts?!
Old 19 May 2006, 10:36 AM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Big a1

What about an rx7, sierra cosworth, elise, old TVR of some sort? Just a few other thoughts?!
RX7 - love 'em but trying to stay away from two seats. Same for the lotus, although the difficulty getting in and out of them puts me off too. I could be persuaded on the rx7 but then there is that rotary engine rebuild issue.

Sierra and TVR are too unreliable in my opinion.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

Evo 4 is tempting.

I think both the evo and the skyline are much bigger risks than the honda - I'm just not sure how much I want to gamble. I guess at the end of the day this is about the balance between living a bit more conservatively or following your dreams.

Head says honda, heart says skyline
Old 19 May 2006, 11:17 AM
scoobyace
Scooby Regular

hi mate

if u want something special get a 22b or p1 stay with subaru............

jay
Old 19 May 2006, 11:51 AM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

22B for £7k? I'll have one then
Old 19 May 2006, 12:03 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Actually I'm having similar thoughts. Currently have a Forester S/tb and want something a bit special for those days when I want to go for a "drive". Current thoughts are a TVR 400SE. Not massivley reliable but I can live with that.
Old 19 May 2006, 10:48 PM
HowiesPreza
Scooby Regular

Location: Whitley Bay the Falaraki of the North! sold CTR bought another scooby, got refund after legal battle

I know u ruled this out but i looked at this 1 owner 200sx one the other day - only reason i didn't get it was because the part ex he offered wasn't any good for me. The leather interior looks untouched!

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/WWW...xact=1&photo=1
Old 21 May 2006, 12:47 AM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Thing is I would want the evo or skyline, but at that price unless you have a full history of the car you could well be in for major troubles whereas the itr would be stress free... trouble is, I would always think, well this could be a skyline or evo.

Depends on what type of person you are, I think by the fact you've discounted cossies and tvrs should prob stay away from the turbo cars.