Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Nissan 200sx is it poop?

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2001, 03:27 PM
Am I sick or just mad!
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Out for a drive the other day on a stretch of National speed limit duel carriageway. I was being followed by some guy in a 200sx touring who kept trying to intimidate me. So I accelerated away and when I looked in my mirror it looked like his car was going to roll over! It was leaning more than the leaning tower of PizzaHut! I have seen some cars with soft suspension in my time but this thing would of had a firmer ride with a couple of jelly's instead of the poor excuse for dampers fitted at the factory.
Mark
Old 22 October 2001, 12:11 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

I had no problems overtaking scoobs in my 200sx.

Pulled quicker from 100 according to a friend who had a RB5 WR and a WRX.

Scoob is quicker to 100 though.

Old 23 October 2001, 11:39 PM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Cool

Mr Am I Sick,
In my humble non Scooby driving opinion, I don't think they're poop at all, The seats leave a lot to be desired and mine has self activating windscreen wipers,(even though they're not supposed to) but as an inexpensive alternative to the 'performance car of the decade' the 200 is really rather good.

I simply cannot believe however that one of my 200 driving brethren would act in such a way as to intimidate you, we're all much too mature for that kind of behaviour, perhaps he was just trying to encourage a slower road user to move over.

The nice chap I bought mine through (from this board as it happens) had an STi of some description and preferred the 200 for longer journeys as you didn't tend to lose your fillings over the course of your trip, hence the progressive suspension travel you witnessed.

take it easy,
Dave
Old 24 October 2001, 10:52 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Ive driven one and am eriously considering getting one when the MY94 goes, nice to drive, great inside and inconspicuous.
Old 26 October 2001, 11:24 PM
LEE P
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yep must agree, nice motor, drove a couple when they first came out, f reg, as i had a sylvia tuurbo at the time, didnt seem that soft, quite composed really. suppose they are getting older now so some cars will need suspension fitting if it still on original set up hence wallowy behavoir. nice driving position and fairly quick. the early ones put out 200bhp but the later ones slighty less, made it more tame. ive got the original sales brochures somewhere for the figures just bit late too start digging them out. cheers Lee
Old 04 November 2001, 08:00 AM
wrxena
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

My driver had a go on a mate's 200SX and it's a decent car. Australia's MOTOR magazine awarded it the 2001 Peformance Car of the Year and described it as "the new WRX".

http://wrxena.spidernz.com/adventure4.html
Old 09 November 2001, 01:07 AM
Am I sick or just mad!
Scooby Regular

Talking

progressive suspension! dont make me lol more like jelly-belly suspension going by all the fat guts i have seen driving em!!!!!
mark
Old 09 November 2001, 09:16 AM
Steve3drRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

My mates got a black 'newest shape' one, on a P plate.

IMO its a great car.

Bought it std, its now got 18in rims, full cat free mongoose zorst and a cosworth grp a ramair filter.

You think a full sys transforms a scoob- u shud put it on one of them!- so much quicker.

The newest shape (phase 2 of the s14 models) bumpers etc are much more evil looking too.

steve
Old 15 November 2001, 01:33 AM
weatherman
Scooby Regular

Talking

A common fault with 89-94 200SXs was worn subframe bushes, which manifested itself as the car trying to throw itself off the road! Anyway my MY94 200SX was faster in a straight line than my MY97 Scoob, and was really rather good fun in the twisties, if a lot slower!

Stuart
Old 16 November 2001, 11:08 PM
BeanS14
Scooby Newbie

Smile

I don't there's much difference in performance between a standard Nissan 200sx s14 and a Subaru Impreza.

I'm surprised the 200sx rolled so much, probably has knackered suspension, but the car is classed as a tourer and not a rally car like the Subarus.

Unfortunately you always you get some idiot (in any make of car) trying to coerce you into racing or generally driving like a ****. I apologise on behalf of all 200sx owners.
Old 07 December 2001, 07:12 PM
Cypher
Scooby Newbie

Cool

I really pity you guys out there in the UK, I know I used to live there until recently I went home in Asia, I am taking delivery of a new 200sx (aka silvia here) S15. for around GBP 17k. Manual of course. I heard if Nissan UK is to take delivery of S15 it will be the 147kW version - just like the Aussie spec in PCOTY award. We on the other hand got to play with 185kW (which converts to 250hp for you imperial lot) standard. Wow, considering what I can do to improve that.....heh..heh .. the 200sx is wonderful, the true sports car of this decade. Throw away your WRX. the only thing that can catch up is the 206kW Lancer Evo VII which costs 1.7x more - but definitely less sporty looking.