HOT SAABS

Search this Thread

Old 08 March 2006, 02:28 PM
lowlander
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOT SAABS

Hi there,

Doing some more research into quick saabs. There doesn't appear to be too much price defference between a 9-3 Aero and a 9-5 Aero of the same age.

Don't need the space of the bigger car but looks good value for money.

Which is the better bet in terms of handling, performance, reliability, running costs. etc.

Budget is around 5K so looking at year 2000 cars

All the best.

Martin.
Old 08 March 2006, 05:22 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

my mate's got a 9-3 aero - nice and refined, but I guess the 9-5 would be heavier...... read into the effects on the ride/handling what you will.....

Dan
Old 08 March 2006, 05:45 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of them 'really' handle, some are better than others and they can be improved, I have a boggo 9-3 and that is fairly crap at handling, i.e. a Mondeo would run rings round it (have had both), the steering is a bit vague, it pitches and wallows and does not inspire confidence but at normal speeds its fine, cant comment on the 9-5 but reviews always place them behind 'German rivals', Yawn.

Where they do score is the fact they are reasonably well made, refined and different, they dont cause people to mouth tosser at you for no reason (had a Merc M class, it does happen) and the engines are great, superb mid range overtaking wallop, my LPT one was a stopgap until I found something sporty that I liked, but guess what I quite like the Saab so my theory is that if I like it why get something else unless I am in the position to buy new.
I paid 4 grand for mine a year ago, FSSH, 72k, full MOT, new tyres, it just went through an MOT today after a year and 8000 miles and needs nothing, I will run it until it needs money spending and then chop it in.

Theres always the chip route for more bhp, been tempted as on mine it releases between 60 and 75 bhp depending on which tuner, Abbott, Hirsch, Elkparts etc and costs 500 quid, that may well overwhelm what grip it has too easily though

I think Saabs are best looked at as a second hand proposition, rather than new (as you are doing) as they do play second fiddle to Mercs, BM's and Audi's, they arent as good but that doesnt mean they are without virtue, I would however baulk at paying 30 grand for something that depreciates so quickly, so if you compare it to what else you can get for the money, Vectras, Mondeos and various Jap stuff which are similar prices for year/mileage then they look more attractive, being slightly odd in reputation largely due to the pre GM Saabs it scares a lot of budget concious motorists off because Fords and Vauxhalls are cheap to fix, er not really got to German and Swedish or Euro Car Parts and the bits are as cheap or cheaper than Fords etc, find a local Saab specilist for servicing and you are sorted.

Check for excessive smoke on startup, might need a turbo but otherwise they are dead tough.

Go for it, I am glad I did.
Old 08 March 2006, 07:12 PM
Castrol
Scooby Regular

cant comment on the 9-5
I can - got an 05 9-5 Vector Auto Estate with Hirsch Stage 1 (210bhp).

As J4cko said:

"the steering is a bit vague, it pitches and wallows..."
However, it's not the car to hurl around and blast down B roads - our 05 STi UK PPP is for those occasions. It has a lovely ride, is well equipped - leather, ACC, Cruise, CD, Computer, 17" alloys, audio/phone controls on the steering wheel, FlappyPaddle gearchange, roof rails, fridge/glove box etc - and has loads of space. 2 Labradors, loads of gear, In Laws and my Wife and I, just disappear in it. Performance with the Hirsch kit is pretty good too: 0-60 in 7.5 secs and 30-70 in 7. It's heavy on juice around town, but a 90-100 cruise will give 31+ to the gallon. Oh, the brakes aren't bad either.

There have been one or two niggly faults so far (9 weeks/4K miles), but the Saab dealer's been great and made the whole experience hassle free.

I also agree with J4cko regarding purchase. I'd never buy one new, as the depreciation's pretty scary. We paid £10andabit K less than retail, after 8.5 months. That's some drop... Mind, it makes it excellent value - an almost new £27500 car for £17K.

Cheers
Old 08 March 2006, 09:02 PM
R1916v
Scooby Regular

Wasn't the 9-5 aero faster 30 or 40 to 70 than a 911 TT or something? Seem to remember a top gear or mag article on it.

As long as people realise they aren't chuckable go carts they are big cruisers with a big mid range smack in the face then they are great cars
Old 08 March 2006, 09:30 PM
skinters
Scooby Regular

Saab always played on 5th gear 50-70mph being very rapid as it's just when the turbo spooled in. The theory only worked if the porker decided to slog it in a gear designed to take it to 180mph..... bit unrealistic.

That said - mid range is great on the Saabs. The 9-5 is quite heavy (1660kgs vs 1470kg of the old 9k Aero's) but the 2.3 Aero is still rapid. Also - £500 gets you 275bhp/320ftlbs on the 230bhp 00-02 models. Well worth it.
Check for meticulous oil changes with synthetic stuff and it'll run forever if it's been cherished.

I have heard more comments about sloppy 9-3 handling (00-03) than 9-5 but I've driven neither so really can't comment. Both can be sorted very well in the handling dept. but you need to commit to keeping the car for a bit if you plan to start spending any cash on it.

If it's going to spend it's time on the M'way then sharpening the handling isnt going to be worth the cash. Keep it std.
Bonus is the 2.3 Aero (long gearing) will return an easy 32mpg.

To me the 9-5 has class, is very subtle, fast, smooth, comfy and economical.
Old 09 March 2006, 09:40 AM
Blackscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by skinters
Bonus is the 2.3 Aero (long gearing) will return an easy 32mpg.

To me the 9-5 has class, is very subtle, fast, smooth, comfy and economical.
32MPG ? I wish. On my daily commute of around 50 miles, mixed dual carriage way / motorway with some stop start mine does 26MPG (calculated not SID figures).
Le Mans trip last year it did just about 30MPG.. but only just.

My summary :-
Quick in a straight line, dull car but comfort makes up for it.
Brilliant Q style motor, very rapid in 2nd gear if you can curb the rampant wheel spin.
VERY well equipped.
Handling ~ never going to be it's strong point as it's like trying to hustle a cruise liner.
Cheap as chips as a 2nd hand purchase.

Mark
2002 9-5 Aero.

Last edited by Blackscooby; 09 March 2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 09 March 2006, 09:44 AM
Moonloops
Scooby Regular

I had a 185BHP 9-3 Turbo (black coupe) fully kitted out - cheap as chips. I averaged 28mpg no problem. Handling was woeful but hey it's not a sports car..

Looking at getting a 9-5 now just to muck around in
Old 09 March 2006, 10:55 AM
Ale555
Scooby Regular

I had driven the new 9³ some days ago...not what I expected. Very noisy and the engine seemed not to have fun in work...just felt like there were 50HP missing...
Old 09 March 2006, 06:37 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a little run in with Mr 3 series tonight, stuck up my backside looking sfor a way past (no chance very busy), I put my foot down he drops back and then follows me for miles about 5 foot off my bumper lights ablaze but barely visible he was so close, get to the airport tunnels, most traffic goes right just as it goes from 1 to 2 lanes, I let him get alongside and he is booting it and put my foot down so we are both going for it and he gets hammered. It was only a basic new shape 3 series but stasfying nontheless, I let him past (as we were going 90 mph and it was getting daft) so I could check the badge, there wasnt one so boggo spec.

Just a good job there were no bends, you have to claim your victories in the 30-70 ranges as it just spins and shudders from a standstill if you are clumsy, its horrid, feels like it will shake to bits and round bends you have no chance against anyone who has a clue (a driver versus a car operator) in something half decent.