Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

A4 130 TDi engine/Passat 130 TDi engine??

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2006, 01:21 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A4 130 TDi engine/Passat 130 TDi engine??

Are these 2 engines the same??

I know they share various components being both part of the VAG but are these 2 engines "identical"??

People have said the VW 130TDi engine is a bit "agricultural", whereas the Audi's variant has been referred to as smooth.

Help appreciated, thanks.

P.S. Both cars are the 2002 era.
Old 17 February 2006, 01:31 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Im always reading how the engines themselves are essentially identical, but with the Audi version there are some changes, like they fit balancer shafts etc to counter vibrations, and the engine bay probably has better sound insulation in the Audi. You get some extras for your money with Audi's over VW's!

IMO the 1.9 TDi is a bit noisy by modern standards in either car, but it is the most thermally efficient production diesel engine ever, and returns excellent MPG.

Are you thinking of buying a 2002 A4 or Passat?
Old 17 February 2006, 01:50 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

And you can get them remapped to around 180bhp if thats your sort of thing ... http://www.jabbasport.com/vehicle_pr...p?variantid=49

Dave
Old 17 February 2006, 02:20 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Im always reading how the engines themselves are essentially identical, but with the Audi version there are some changes, like they fit balancer shafts etc to counter vibrations, and the engine bay probably has better sound insulation in the Audi. You get some extras for your money with Audi's over VW's!

IMO the 1.9 TDi is a bit noisy by modern standards in either car, but it is the most thermally efficient production diesel engine ever, and returns excellent MPG.

I need a new car at some point, aiming for Summer time - July ish.

I have the Pug for track usage so just want a quality, reliable, practical, efficient car with some element of style. Looking at Passat, A4, Superb, Leon etc. All TDi variants.
Old 17 February 2006, 02:45 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

I have a 2002 A4 2.0 SE which is used mainly for my commute to work (18 miles each way) and I'd certainly recommend them, you may pay a 2-3k more over a Passat of similar age, but IMO its worth the money.

Build is excellent as you would expect, and its a very nice car to be in, with excellent interior and good handling - but feedback isnt very good (as you always read in the reviews, but they arent kidding!).

Also depending on the mileage you are doing its debatable whether its worth going for a TDi. I planned on one, but couldnt find a decent one, so settled for a 2.0 petrol - however even on my work commute its possible to get over 40mpg if the traffic isnt too bad, and overall I get 36mpg.
Old 17 February 2006, 02:53 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

I have a 2002 A4 2.0 SE which is used mainly for my commute to work (18 miles each way) and I'd certainly recommend them, you may pay a 2-3k more over a Passat of similar age, but IMO its worth the money.

Build is excellent as you would expect, and its a very nice car to be in, with excellent interior and good handling - but feedback isnt very good (as you always read in the reviews, but they arent kidding!).

Also depending on the mileage you are doing its debatable whether its worth going for a TDi. I planned on one, but couldnt find a decent one, so settled for a 2.0 petrol - however even on my work commute its possible to get over 40mpg if the traffic isnt too bad, and overall I get 36mpg.
Well looking at it, the A4's are no difference in price to the Passat for the 130bhp TDi. Petrol, the Passat's are much cheaper - but I don't really want the 1.8t or the normal 1.8

The appeal of the TDi is the robustness, efficiency and easily attainable power/torque.

I travel 6k miles a year for work - however it could be 18k miles a year as i car share 1 in 3. (if the other 2 leave I'd be doing 18k just for work).

Finally, filling cars up with fuel is the most boring waste of time , I'd pay a premium to not have to do it as much.

Last edited by Senior_AP; 17 February 2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 17 February 2006, 03:03 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Im not 100% sure but i have owned a diesel A4 and i dont think they have balancer shafts. The PD130 engine is the same engine in all the VAG cars i.e VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda. Great engines and very reliable and very easy to map successfully. The passat has more boot space and room internally but the A4 is in a different league for fit and finish and style. You wiil not find a better built car with a better interior anywhere else even on brand new cars. BMW 3 series cannot touch the A4 for build quality. Passat is good but if you can afford it get the Audi.
Old 17 February 2006, 03:04 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sgcooby
Im not 100% sure but i have owned a diesel A4 and i dont think they have balancer shafts. The PD130 engine is the same engine in all the VAG cars i.e VW, Audi, Seat and Skoda. Great engines and very reliable and very easy to map successfully. The passat has more boot space and room internally but the A4 is in a different league for fit and finish and style. You wiil not find a better built car with a better interior anywhere else even on brand new cars. BMW 3 series cannot touch the A4 for build quality. Passat is good but if you can afford it get the Audi.
Yeah, nice to see those 4 rings on the steering wheel too.

<snob>
Old 17 February 2006, 03:11 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

I ran an Audi A4 the same time as stepfather ran a Superb.Audi was lovely but I have to say,so was the Superb.A bargain if ever there was.

Maybe the skoda was a bit noisier but they are all diesels so noisy or very noisy doesn't make a lot of difference.

A good engine in whichever car you choose
Old 17 February 2006, 03:15 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Identical engine in the Golf, Fabia, Sharan, A4, A3, Leon, its just Audi's get the best interior bits, the Vw's, the Seat, then Skoda, mucky bits are all the same.

I wonder what an Audi owner would say if you remarked on his Skoda power unit.
Old 17 February 2006, 03:26 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I have owned an 02 A4 1.9 TDI sport since last July and love it to bits , best car I have ever had (and I've had a few ) MPG ... I get about 47 mixed driving which equates to easily over 600 miles between fill ups , more than enough power for most situations , handling is very reassuring wet or dry , You don't really appreciate Audi's till you've owned them for a few months then the build quality shines through , apart from a blown brake light bulb nothing has gone wrong although I had the cam belt, water pump and tensioner changed at 60 K at a local independent ...cost a very reasonable £405 .00

Well recommended
Old 17 February 2006, 03:26 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I wonder what an Audi owner would say if you remarked on his Skoda power unit.
To be honest I dont know what VW are playing at letting Skoda have all the decent bits. Surely they must lose a lot of VW sales to Skoda - eg I bet a lot of people who were thinking of buying a Polo tried a Fabia and thought "hang on a minute!..." and bought the Fabia.

Audi dont just get the best interior bits however, stuff like suspension is better on Audi's, using more sophisticated multi-link aluminum setups etc. Also take the aircon compressors for example, VW's use one brand, Audi's use 'the best' brand of compressors which are superior to those fitted in VW's.
Old 17 February 2006, 03:28 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

To be honest I dont know what VW are playing at letting Skoda have all the decent bits. Surely they must lose a lot of VW sales to Skoda - eg I bet a lot of people who were thinking of buying a Polo tried a Fabia and thought "hang on a minute!..." and bought the Fabia.

Audi dont just get the best interior bits however, stuff like suspension is better on Audi's, using more sophisticated multi-link aluminum setups etc. Also take the aircon compressors for example, VW's use one brand, Audi's use 'the best' brand of compressors which are superior to those fitted in VW's.
You pay your money you make your choice.

All relative I guess. Audi is the best of the VAG, then VW then Seat with Skoda bringing up the rear.

I guess??
Old 17 February 2006, 03:44 PM
lozgti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Senior_AP
You pay your money you make your choice.

??
I changed from Audi to Skoda after seeing what was on offer.I will have another one too unless lottery win allows RS4 purchase.

As I am sure people have said often,look under the bonnet of a skoda and you will find everything stamped up VW/Audi and the nice four hoops.

Audi certainly best of the four,the other three all about the same.Depends if you are bothered.Agree that VW is probably biggest loser in this.They have become the half way house compromise cars.
Old 17 February 2006, 03:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

'To be honest I dont know what VW are playing at letting Skoda have all the decent bits. Surely they must lose a lot of VW sales to Skoda - eg I bet a lot of people who were thinking of buying a Polo tried a Fabia and thought "hang on a minute!..." and bought the Fabia.'

A sale is a sale when all is said and done, they are covering more of the market by having the different brands. Audi do get all the best bits but in the crossover areas of the various markets then there is a lot of commanality, a Fabia VRS with 4wd and a V8 Biturbo would be fun though.

I suppose its nothing new though, they have been doing it for years, the Audi 80 Sport had a Golf GTI unit.
'
Old 17 February 2006, 03:48 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

If they've both got 6-speed gearboxes, the ONLY difference between the engines in the A4 and Passat is the badges on the plastic engine cover.

Differences in perceived smoothness / quietness are purely down to the individual resonances in the bodyshells and amounts of sound deadening material.

With the PD130 motor, some are noisier than others. Generally they are quieter once they've done 20K miles+. It also helps if they've been well thrashed

I don't know if the A4 manual comes in 5- and 6-speed variants, but in the Passat the 6-speed versions (coded AVX on the VIN plate) have a higher-torque engine (310nm / 228 lb-ft at 1900rpm) compared with the 5-speed (285nm / 210 lb-ft at 1750rpm). This is purely engine mapping.

The 6-speed is also more economical because of better choice of gears, and quicker too.
Old 17 February 2006, 04:07 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brickboy

I don't know if the A4 manual comes in 5- and 6-speed variants, but in the Passat the 6-speed versions (coded AVX on the VIN plate) have a higher-torque engine (310nm / 228 lb-ft at 1900rpm) compared with the 5-speed (285nm / 210 lb-ft at 1750rpm). This is purely engine mapping.

The 6-speed is also more economical because of better choice of gears, and quicker too.

Yup the Audi does come in 5 and 6 speed , although I had read the 6 speed as a weak clutch and is prone to slip , especially after mapping
Old 17 February 2006, 05:12 PM
logiclee
Scooby Regular

IMO the 1.9 TDi is a bit noisy by modern standards in either car, but it is the most thermally efficient production diesel engine ever
The 1.9 TDi 90/110bhp with injector pump holds that record.

The PD engines are not as efficient but are more refined with more power/torque.

Cheers
Lee