Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Landrover FREELANDER query ????

Search this Thread

Old 28 January 2006, 10:49 AM
RAZ492
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Landrover FREELANDER query ????

I am thinking of getting one for a runabout, its the 2.0 Di estate 3dr, is it better to get one with a landrover engine or a BMW engine and how do you tell the difference ???

Anyone got or had one and any views and comments will be much appreciated !!!!!!!!

Thanks.
Old 28 January 2006, 11:15 AM
spider
Scooby Regular

Hi Raz,

The BMW engine is reckoned to be much better than the old L series Rover unit. BMW engined ones are badged Td4, L series are badged Xdi.

BMW unit is smoother etc. Some info here: http://threads.lro.com/cgi-bin/wwwth...collapsed&sb=5

3 door Freelanders tend to be cheaper than 5 doors as everyone seems to want the 5 door, especially a 5 door Td4.

Bear in mind that the new Freelander is due out later this year & used prices will drop even more - that's why LR dealers are doing deals on current models.

You really need to get someone who knows about them to look at the transmission of secondhand ones. They don't have a proper low-range gearbox like other Landys; they use what is called an IRD bolted on the side of the gearbox - Intermediate Reduction Drive - which is several hundred quid to replace if bust. There has been the odd horror story of ones going through the auctions with the propshaft to the back wheels removed cos the IRD was knackered - 2 wheel drive 4x4 anyone??!

The other thing to check is the HDC - Hill Descent Control (yellow lever on or by the gearlever). That's the bit that brings in the ABS to stop you sliding when going down hill in first or reverse.

We swapped my other half's Audi for an 03 5 door Td4 and she loves it. It bowls along happilly enough at motorway speeds, and has enough grunt to tow the single horsebox (which is why we got it). It gets a bit of offroad use around horse shows - on standard road tyres the other day I drove straight out of a very boggy field with half a ton of horse plus trailer on behind, up a slight incline, when horseboxes & others were getting towed out by tractor so don't let anyone say it'll get stuck off tarmac.

They do need a 2" suspension lift and some decent protection underneath if you're going seriously off road though.

Hope that helps,
Steve
Old 28 January 2006, 05:02 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a XEDi 3 door (2.0 Rover engine) for a couple of months, i fitted all the extras (bull bars, steps, light guards, 17"s,wood dash trim, etc) and it looked great.
On a 3 door you need to open the tailgate and look in the storage section (under the door in the floor) - i didn't know to look here and when i read about it and did the ness check i found it had 4" of water - this comes from the rear door upper plastic trim clips? and also the door seal.
If you can smell coolant in the car (can't remember the other symptoms) then it's possible the heater matrix has gone, this was a common problem and it needs the full dash out to be fixed (£600+ labour bill !!! ).
As mentioned the IRD can go but there used to be a seller on ebay who did them exchange for £375
The diffs can be noisy, trim can creak, glass T-tops (3 door) can rattle, MPG not good for diesel, head gaskets are common problem on 1.8 petrols

TBH if i'd bought mine from a main dealer and got a couple of years full warranty then i'd probably have kept it, it was a good looker and nice drive
Old 28 January 2006, 05:25 PM
Terzo 333
Scooby Regular

My mate is selling one. Don't know if it is any interest but here it is anyway :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...MEUS%3AIT&rd=1
Old 28 January 2006, 05:55 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the 3 door petrol, the engine I must say was great, but when I was looking for one, the engine to go for was the diesel bmw engine, but they definatly demand a higher price, plus people dont seem to sell them.

good car though
Old 28 January 2006, 09:32 PM
RAZ492
Scooby Regular

Question !!!!!!!!!!!

The one i am looking at is a 99-V 2.0 Di Estate, its a 3dr and it has had a new gear-box etc etc. It looks bog basic and it has the Landy engine.

Dunno if i should go for it or not :-S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raz
Old 30 January 2006, 09:38 AM
MY97_Toy
Scooby Regular

I was thinking of one of these also. But went for the RAV 4 for the wife after reading here www.4car.co.uk

Go to the Review Section. Read what 4car has to say and then at the end there are about 20 Owners Reviews. Thats what made me change my mind.
Old 30 January 2006, 08:17 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

i work for land rover !!!

the bmw td4 engine is the better option than the l series for a number of reasons

l series g boxes were ****e eventhough the engines are fairly reliable but very sluggish

the td4 has had alot of fueling problems but has the option of a auto stepronic box which is to date ,reliable . the manual box has had alot of problems with the clutch hydrolics/slave cylinder leaking inside the box and is expensive if the car is out of warranty.

the 1.8 k series engine is not really a good match for the car and has alot of problems with over heating and clutch problems

if i were u id hold out and look for an auto td4 which u can pick up reasonably cheap if u get say a 2000 2001 my

but id get one from a dealer and try and get a warranty ect

happy shoppin
Old 31 January 2006, 01:44 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

I like the look of the Td4 Sport, can bung on a tuning box and get over 300lb/ft of torque!
Although with a top speed of 102mph wouldn't it be noisy at motorway speeds?