need help with a roadster

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2006, 10:59 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with a roadster

people,

odd predicament. itchy feet and I want to change my car.

MX5 which is now in the for sale section.

anyhoo. I want a car with a few more creature comforts, and for once I am not fussed about it being a drivers car. If anything I would rather not look forward to the drive as that is what my subaru is for.

what I want is something with the likes of air con and abs, a power roof and some real style, that has to be comfortable for the wife, not cold and doesnt make me reluctant to drive it in colder months.

Can tell you in advance that S2000 is out. 1. because I've had one before 2. because my sister still has it and we can swap anytime we feel like it in the future and 3. because the seats were too hard for my wife on longer journeys.

I am looking to spend no more than 14k so the new MX5 is out, plus as I said, a bit too driver focussed.

For me it is a toss up between a 1.8TT 225 or a Z3M roadster. I am tempted by the 3.2 straight six but am put off by warranty stories realting to the vanos unit. That said it is rear wheel drive which scares me when it comes to the wife driving, and it does have a lot of power. I think the Z3 has a larger boot though which is important come cruising around europe time.

On the TT front, the wife loves the styling, though I am less keen on the outside. I do like the quality of the inside. I like the reassurance of 4WD and traction control, even if the handling isnt perfect. I like the option of buying some mods for it if I feel like spending a few quid. I am also a veyr big fan of turbo charged cars and especially that engine which I already have in the 1.8T gti the wife drives most of the time.

Thing is, the BMW does have a bit more individuality. The hair dresser image doesn't bother me as I tend to buy cars for me, not for other people. (still trying to fight off the chav image given out by the 22B though!)

any comments would really help me out.
Old 19 January 2006, 11:24 AM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Saab 9-3 convertible? Bags of them around.

Volvo C-thingy? They look quite nice, bit of room, Volvo seats are traditionally comfy (as are Saab to be fair)

Or something a bit loopy like a Corvette?

Could perhaps pick up an early XK8 at that price too, with luck.

I reckon the Saab ticks your boxes.
Old 19 January 2006, 11:34 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

sab is interesting, but possibly a bit too grown up.

Volvo is dull and has a dodgy rear window and no space in the boot due to hard box for encasing roof. Probably still more than TT though - which I am currently leaning towards.
Old 19 January 2006, 11:41 AM
Jonathan Davies
Scooby Regular

Well, you did say comfort, year-round use and a turbo!

The TT was an iconic design of the 90s, but for me it hasn't aged well. That's a very personal thing of course. I'd rather have an A4 if it had to be soft-top.
Old 20 January 2006, 08:51 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Adam,

If you are concerned about your wife driving I wouldn't go near a Z3M Roadster.

Your post is a bit contradictory - if an MX5 is a bit too driver focused, what the **** are you doing considering a Z3M

Much better with one of the lesser Z3's IMO if the Z3 rocks your boat.

Otherwise, what about an early Merc SLK?

Not particularly driver focused, plenty of toys, and that roof is so much more secure. Nice to tour about in.
Old 20 January 2006, 10:05 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Being pedantic here, but what most people are suggesting aren't 'proper' roadsters. Roadsters are 2 seater, RWD, purpose built sports cars.

The TT, Saab, Volvo etc. are all convertibles. They were converted from coupes. The MX5, S2000, SLK, Boxster, Z3 etc are all purpose built.
Old 20 January 2006, 10:11 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo
Otherwise, what about an early Merc SLK?

Not particularly driver focused, plenty of toys, and that roof is so much more secure. Nice to tour about in.
Not sure if the boot is big enough for luggage, considering the roof has to go in it, and a colleague has a new one and says the seats are not comfy at all on long journeys. I'd be surprised if the old ones are better.
Old 20 January 2006, 10:38 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

my 2.2 Z3 was a lot of fun and an extremely pleasurable car to be in - I personally loved it's 'californian sunshine' vibe and the laid out driving position and it's torquey V6 was both economical and sporty without being extreme - ...definately in my top 3 all time favorite cars I've owned...

TT is an incredibly dull car to drive IMO - one of the biggest letdowns of any so called 'sports cars' I've ever driven. I'm convinced its popularity with women is down to it's appaulingly huge fallic handbrake...

If you can run to it you can just about get a 350Z roadster for £16K these days - they are a fantastic car...
Old 20 January 2006, 10:43 AM
lowlander
Scooby Regular

3.0 Z3 looks good. 231 bhp and decent build quality. Handling not the best but should be good enough.

Martin.
Old 20 January 2006, 12:16 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flynnstudio
my 2.2 Z3 was a lot of fun and an extremely pleasurable car to be in - I personally loved it's 'californian sunshine' vibe and the laid out driving position and it's torquey V6 was both economical and sporty without being extreme - ...definately in my top 3 all time favorite cars I've owned...

TT is an incredibly dull car to drive IMO - one of the biggest letdowns of any so called 'sports cars' I've ever driven. I'm convinced its popularity with women is down to it's appaulingly huge fallic handbrake...

If you can run to it you can just about get a 350Z roadster for £16K these days - they are a fantastic car...
Your Z3 was most certainly not a V6
Old 20 January 2006, 12:17 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

The 2.2 was a straight 6.
Old 20 January 2006, 12:33 PM
currymonster
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flynnstudio
Very very nice cars - drool! 350Z gets my vote
Old 20 January 2006, 04:06 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Hi Adam

What about a 3 series convertible. They have creature comforts all over the place.