Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

New Civic

Search this Thread

Old 17 January 2006, 03:36 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Civic

Just been to the Honda garage up the road. Will test drive both the 1.8 Petrol and 2.2 CDti on Monday. Sat in one in the showroom. Very nice and different styled cabin. Very large inside for what the car is. Great boot size and has "magic" seats in the rear.

The lady there said they are placing the 2.4 engine from the current Accord into the New Civic Type R. This will be "tuned" and will chuck out circa 240bhp, but to the front wheels. She laughed and said," some how I don't think that will be a good idea." Anyway that should be out end of the year if lucky.

Anyone test driven the new Civic yet?
Old 17 January 2006, 04:14 PM
sgcooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RAJ27
Just been to the Honda garage up the road. Will test drive both the 1.8 Petrol and 2.2 CDti on Monday. Sat in one in the showroom. Very nice and different styled cabin. Very large inside for what the car is. Great boot size and has "magic" seats in the rear.

The lady there said they are placing the 2.4 engine from the current Accord into the New Civic Type R. This will be "tuned" and will chuck out circa 240bhp, but to the front wheels. She laughed and said," some how I don't think that will be a good idea." Anyway that should be out end of the year if lucky.

Anyone test driven the new Civic yet?
What do women know. I do agree though.

Saw new civic on 5th gear. Looks lush. Cracking dash. Id go for the 2.2cdti myself although they say its not as quiet as the accord with the same engine. Bearing in mind the accord is one of the quietest diesels that probably isnt a problem. Cant wait to see the Type R.
Old 18 January 2006, 02:16 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Anyone else?
Old 18 January 2006, 02:30 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Built by some of my mates.....hmmm
Old 18 January 2006, 02:30 PM
Jonty B
Scooby Regular

Post New Civic

I am also awaiting a test drive in the 2.2 diesel.

went to a Honda showroom at the weekend to have a look and they had a sport model with the optional 18" wheels. Looked great from the outside but IMO I think it needs large wheels to fill the arches.

I must be in a minority here as I did not think the interior was a special as journo's make out. It was certainly different, but the number of different plastics did not have the quality feel of a Golf. Saying that, it would probably be great to drive at night with all the HUD-like displays.

Boot is a big plus as is the overall space especially as the car itself seems to look no longer than a supermini.

I have driven an FR-V with the 2.2 diesel and the engine is superb - strong, smooth & very refined. Performance was a surprise and this was a heavier car. One thing that I do agree with though is that the engine is petrol like with no big surge like the Mk V golf GT TDI, which I would like.

Good luck with the drive.

Jonty
Old 22 January 2006, 10:11 PM
mike_330
Scooby Regular

brother inlaw got one on friday will report back when I've had a go
Old 22 January 2006, 10:17 PM
Arctic Chill
Scooby Newbie

I've driven both and wasn't too impressed with the petrol. I thought the diesel was excellent though, very smooth, almost forgot it was diesel, much more refined than the Golf Tdi I have now.
We've decided to keep the golf though, for the time being. I might be tempted in a years time.
Old 22 January 2006, 11:23 PM
2.2 Civic
Scooby Newbie

I just picked up my 2.2 i-CTDi on Friday and am very happy so far.

There's not a great deal that I don't like about it but have to say that the brushed metal effect trim on the doors and arround the gear stick/centre console is absolutely awful. The door handles are not typical of Honda's usual quality either and feel a bit cheap. Steering feel is also typically Honda and pretty poor. It's much better than the old Civic though and has far better weighting.

Otherwise it's a great car. I never thought I'd ever buy a diesel but the 2.2 litre engine really is superb. It's as economical/clean as a Mini 1.4TD but would keep up with a 320d so is very quick for an oil burner. I'm supposed to be running it in but have had the odd naughty squirt and in-gear acceleration is impressive. Power delivery is almost petrol (turbo) like and is very smooth and free revving. It doesn't have the same shove in the back as a Focus TDCi or 307HDi but I prefer it as it's massively more refined and at speed is almost impossible to distinguish from a petrol engine. The only oddity is a strange whine and tappety kind of noise when you accelerate but it's hardly noticeable with the stereo on. As you would expect the gearbox is also very slick/precise although not as much as the petrol engine.

The packaging is excellent too if you're into that sort of thing. The car is dimensionally near identical to a Focus, Golf and Astra but has better rear legroom and significantly more bootspace than all. I'm not sure how they've managed it but it really shows how much thought Honda have given in producing the car. All I need now is for Revo et al to come up with a remap.

Cheers

Darren
Old 23 January 2006, 10:31 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 2.2 Civic
All I need now is for Revo et al to come up with a remap.

Cheers

Darren
http://www.chiptuninguk.com/chiptuning/frames.asp

Chiptuning have looked after my cars in the tuning department. They have RICA software, and they already have a map waiting for you. Just give them a call

Andy
Old 23 January 2006, 11:01 AM
03-CTR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy M3
http://www.chiptuninguk.com/chiptuning/frames.asp

Chiptuning have looked after my cars in the tuning department. They have RICA software, and they already have a map waiting for you. Just give them a call

Andy
Thanks for that Andy

Looked on the site and they seem pretty decent but couldn't find anything for Honda

Cheers

Darren
Old 23 January 2006, 11:04 AM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 03-CTR
Thanks for that Andy

Looked on the site and they seem pretty decent but couldn't find anything for Honda

Cheers

Darren
yeah - the website needs updating, but Adam [the mapping man] has had the software for a little while now. You should give him a call, and mension Andy M3 from scoobynet, and he may sort you out ££££

Andy
Old 23 January 2006, 11:09 AM
2.2 Civic
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Andy M3
yeah - the website needs updating, but Adam [the mapping man] has had the software for a little while now. You should give him a call, and mension Andy M3 from scoobynet, and he may sort you out ££££

Andy
Nice one. I'll get in touch and see what he can do.

Apologies for the usernam mixup but I thought it would be an idea to update it. Dohh.
Old 24 January 2006, 02:13 PM
neesha
Scooby Regular

Default New Civic

Also took delivery of mine last week, scoob has now gone after three years, think the cars great and less trips to shell a bonus, for real world day to day driving is great and not that dissapointed with performance as for residuals something scooby owners bang on about hopefully will be good !
Still would have got more for the scoob were it not for the "essex" influence devaluing Them !
Old 24 January 2006, 03:03 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neesha
Also took delivery of mine last week, scoob has now gone after three years, think the cars great and less trips to shell a bonus, for real world day to day driving is great and not that dissapointed with performance as for residuals something scooby owners bang on about hopefully will be good !
Still would have got more for the scoob were it not for the "essex" influence devaluing Them !

Neesha,

Have you got "used to" the interior? Is the build quality better than say a Golf?

Thanks

Jay
Old 24 January 2006, 04:00 PM
neesha
Scooby Regular

The interior is great v. functional , far better quality than the scoob and imho as good as the golf i drove a couple of weeks back . the "brushed aluminium avoids dirty fingermarks "
Old 24 January 2006, 09:18 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by neesha
The interior is great v. functional , far better quality than the scoob and imho as good as the golf i drove a couple of weeks back . the "brushed aluminium avoids dirty fingermarks "
Ok that sounds good. What's your biggest gripes?
Old 25 January 2006, 07:08 AM
neesha
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up Gripes

Cant really say i have any of yet !