Civic Type R or MY99

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2001, 04:46 PM
zooey12345
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Hi everyone!

I am in a great dilemma. I could get a fairly huge discount on the new Civic Type R. Until now I was totally into Scooby, but now I have become hesitant. For the price of the Civic I could by a MY99 Sub. Which one should I choose?
I would appreciate every piece of advice. Has anyone driven the Civic already?
Old 04 November 2001, 08:00 PM
Kussimurran
Scooby Regular

Smile

It's a toss-up. I have a Integra Type-R, used to drive a MY97 Scoob. Both cars great, and very different, expect the Civic rather similar to ITR, but more civilised. I would probably go for the Civic now, as scoobs are so common.

Either way you can't go wrong.

Best of luck.
Old 04 November 2001, 08:42 PM
X SOOOBY
Scooby Regular

oh yeh so common whats common got to do with it you buy a car for what you are going to get out of it not that it is cccccommon what are you some kind of snob
Old 04 November 2001, 10:17 PM
SUNDAY DRIVER
Scooby Regular

Zooey,
I had a bit of a thrash in a Civic type R the other night and although undoubtedly a very accomplished I would sum it up as follows:
-Very smooth power delivery but doesn't feel overly quick.Its hard to believe it has 200bhp.
-Very fast top end-will show 150mph on speedo(on private test track)
-Engine note from inside car is an unnatractive high pitched whine which could get tiresome
-Very positive steering but driving position seems a bit on the high side although you could get get used to this.
-Fantastic brakes.

These are just my very amateur initial views and I'm sure other people will have conflicting opinions but the scoob has MUCH more character and for that money I would be looking for a good used sti.
Old 04 November 2001, 11:11 PM
zooey12345
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Thanks Sunday,

but since I live in continental Europe, I just can`t go for the STI. I wish I could. Personally, I am much more eager to buy a Scooby, but I have to import it from Switzerland (they still offer the best prices).

on the other hand I am not very much into buying used cars, I haven`t had luck with them yet.
Old 05 November 2001, 08:50 AM
father_jack
Scooby Regular

Zooey - you mentioned discount - how much is the Civic R in Europe "proper"?
Got a testdrive in one today, if they've improved the bottom end power I'll have it. The ashtray is full in the Accord after all.......
Old 05 November 2001, 12:38 PM
zooey12345
Scooby Newbie

15-20 percent off the list price. The dealer is a friend. But you know how these things go, I'll beleive it only when I am actually sitting in the car.
Old 05 November 2001, 12:52 PM
M Hutton
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine in Scotland test drove the Civic type R on Saturday. He currently has the Accord VTEC (I think).

He has had a go in my MY01 (pre-PPP) and tried to compare the two. What he did notice was the difference over his current VTEC such as the lack of body roll, power was pretty much always there and feeling of driving on rails.

He had said the same things about my car when he got out of it.

The gear box he found close (not a negative just an observation), he also found the seating position spot on and he is 6'4".

If he hadn't liked it he would hav gone the Scooby route as it is he is hoping to get the car by the end of the month!

Just one point was the engine note, he said it screamed rather than growled like the Scooby. Something he didn't mind either way, in fact he quite liked the engine noise.

I guess it comes down to preferance, you pay your money, you take your choice.

Whichever car you go for I hope you really enjoy it. In the UK I for one can#t wait to see the Nova/Corsa massive's faces when they get taken at lights by a Civic!!
Old 05 November 2001, 01:24 PM
gaz1049
Scooby Newbie

A very tough one! I know. I was looking at the Honda or the new age WRX.

For the Civic

Solid, reliable mechanicals (I think better than Scoobs).
VTEC Engine (kinda cool technology)
Cheaper
Free Driving Course on delivery from Honda Dealer
Stunning performance, serious wolf in sheep's clothing!

Against the Civic

It's a Honda and my granddad has one
Looks a little high and cannot get VBH (Topgear) throwing it round on 3 wheels out of my mind(a little bit out of shape for my liking)
Not even Aircon
OTT Type R badges everywhere.

For the WRX

Looks (yes I like them and so will the rest of the world in a year or so)
AWD
Turbo whine + boxer bark
Aircon
Stunning performance, a wolf in wolf's clothing!
Everyone wants one or at least knows about them.

Against WRX

More expensive
Stupid Service Intervals (I am almost thinking of getting a caravan near my dealer I spend so much time there!!)
MPG - You just don't realise until you drive one.

As you have guessed I went for the WRX and I have been paying for it ever since and when I finish grovelling to the bank I drain some petrol out of the manager's company car and drive and drive and drive and then things seem just swell!!!

Either way you are getting a serious bit of kit that is stunningly quick with an amazing chasis (as was the Teg). Not much competes in terms of £20k or less with 0-60's of 6ish seconds. If there is it escapes me.

Gaz