Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

just call for saxoby he has been running one for nearly a year
Old 05 August 2005, 06:49 PM
goodfella31
Scooby Newbie

had one for 2 months - quality build , very quick but the very tiresome to drive, you have to thrash the living **** out of it to get the best and there is zero torque.....

also the gearbox is very noisey and rattles, that aside it is a quality motor but I could just not live with it...
Old 05 August 2005, 07:03 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Avoid the bright Orange colour, it turns you into a paranoid lunatic.
Old 05 August 2005, 09:42 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

great cars call for great drivers to extract the most from them......if ur wife isn't Jenson Button then she is going to find it fast enough, she is unlikely to have the drving skill to exceed the cars potential......
However that statement is a different statement to stuffing it into a hedge

The S2000 has a reputation, and I understand why, I owned and ran one for about 9 months.........it is still though in my book a great car! It just needs a little respect!!
Old 06 August 2005, 12:15 AM
RichB
Scooby Regular

I know it seems like saxo has been going on and on and on about it but he hasn't had it that long.....

They are great to drive at all speeds, you dont need to rev the nuts off them to enjoy it and when you do it is not as 'balistic' as people like you to think.
You can pootle around in 6th at 30 or sit at 50-60 in 2nd...

I've had one since May 04 and love it, had three holidays in it, one being 3000 miles across europe, the boot is a stupid shape (the space saver screws it)

'02 onwards and you get a glass rear screen and slightly different suspension setup and the wind deflector (dont think you get that <02).

As long as you dont push it in the wet you'll be fine. You have to be going like an **** to lose it really...

Insurance is slightly less than my old sti4, bell (elephant) were cheapest first time round, then A-Plan in Thatcham. £650 32, full ncb, prot, c1 bus, gge + GF, BH postcode.

If you want a black one that is pre02, look up Dark Blue Mark, the daft fickle ****** is already thinking about scoobs again so his may be up for grabs soon
Old 07 August 2005, 01:03 AM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the help ,I've been watching the s2ki forum for a bit ,but it's good to get some unbiased comments aswell.
Old 07 August 2005, 07:31 AM
imi
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by goodfella31
had one for 2 months - quality build , very quick but the very tiresome to drive, you have to thrash the living **** out of it to get the best and there is zero torque.....

also the gearbox is very noisey and rattles, that aside it is a quality motor but I could just not live with it...
Agree with the above.

Just to add to what already been said.

Handling is awesome, Gearbox is very smooth and the changes are precise. Engine is a true masterpiece, however being a high power and low torque engine you need to rev the crap out of it in order to go anywhere. Great if you are on track, boring if you like driving on roads in the south.

In Open country on the twisties I can imagine the car comes into its own.
Old 08 August 2005, 12:06 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Avoid the bright Orange colour, it turns you into a paranoid lunatic
Stop being a tool - I categorically proved to myself and those that cared with video evidence that the induction kit seriously harmed the performance of my S2k and had
I blindly accepted that it was 'ok' I'd still be driving a strangled car.

I'm just back this evening from 3 weeks holidays in the highlands of Scotland. I go there every year so have experienced the Saxo, the Scooby and my 406s up there. Put simply the honda as awsome and never tiresome to drive - today I blitzed the A9 with many over taking moves involving drops of 2,3 and 4 gears. The box is such a delight to use and with a blip of the throttle followed by instant vtec roar it really is a joy to drive.

I could ramble on for hours but despite there being very little sun the 3 weeks in the honda was excellent and it was the talk of the village The handling was interesting: for my first real blast (on a rare dry day) I opened her up on the road from Lochinver to Ullapool which involves cornering speeds of between 60-90mph. Given how bumpy the roads were I felt that at the higher speeds I just couldn't get the honda to settle in the same way as the scooby would - on the smoother roads the honda would outgrip the scooby effortlessly. At first I was dissapointed and then I headed out on a single track road with cornering speeds ranging from 20-70mph with even more bumps. The S2000 came into its own and carved the road up with ease reacting well to the bumps. My conclusion therefore was that at high speed/high load a sudden bump can upset the honda more than it would the impreza but otherwise the honda was a match or better (all dry of course)

I would say to anyone thinking of an S2000 that its very much an itch that must be scratched in the same way that most people 'must' own a scooby. I've owned both and they both had +/- but the honda just feels and is that bit more special to drive, own and be in.... but it does need more of a compromise in terms of space, driver workrate and committment to learning how to really drive it correctly.

Give it a fair shot and I doubt you'll be dissapointed although you best be quick as the summer is almost out and they are a little rear happy in the wet if you are an inexperience/incompetant rwd pilot

Oh, and its also the first car I've owned which is nearly always positively reacted to by other people/road users, etc which is nice
Old 09 August 2005, 10:24 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

They are pretty cool cars, nice looking, reliable, reasonable running costs, and good fun, and althou they wont set the world on fire with their performance, are still pretty respectable when you boot them.

Take a lot of experience to get the best from, driving technique and ability is much more important than it is with point and squirt turbo 4WD cars, and you also have to give them a lot of respect, as they can bite hard if you do anything too stupid, and even sometimes just because it feels like giving you a massive shock.

Good cars, seem to be growing in popularity as shows like Top Gear raise their profile, seems they were largely ignored as serious-ish performance cars when they first came out, just hope the hairdresser brigade dont start latching on, as they are quite good looking cars, and come in (like mine) a few gay colours (mines nurburgring blue, the choice of mincers everywhere apparently )
Old 09 August 2005, 05:21 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

My wagon - the choice of true ********

Old 09 August 2005, 05:54 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SB, does the phrase 'Tongue in cheek' mean anything ?
Old 09 August 2005, 05:55 PM
turboman786
Scooby Regular

Saxo Boy...nice car mate...but would look sooo PHAT with some big wheels on! Get soem 18s and get it slammed!(although I guess this might just defeat the purpose of owning the s2k...)
Old 09 August 2005, 05:55 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Speaking from experience....

Absolutley lovely car to drive and own. Excellent build quality and a notably sweet gearbox.

Can be a little twitchy in the wet but great in the dry.

Roof on-off quicker than any other (afaik).

Personally found the interior on pre 2002 quite a letdown compared to 2002 (better) and 2004 models (better still).

Average 28mpg.

Lovely car with roof up or down.

Needless to say that scoob doesnt get much action when there is even a slight hint of sun.

Get yourself signed up on s2ki which will give you further help.

Bob
Old 09 August 2005, 05:58 PM
Aztec Performance Ltd
Former Sponsor

Oh....and forgot to mention, its gets noticed everywhere.
Old 09 August 2005, 06:12 PM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Mines up for grabs over on the honda bbs................

amazing indy yellow

J
Old 09 August 2005, 06:35 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Saxo Boy...nice car mate...but would look sooo PHAT with some big wheels on! Get soem 18s and get it slammed!(although I guess this might just defeat the purpose of owning the s2k...)
I'd love to but I don't have the spare cash at the moment and I only clear my kerb (nose in parking) at home by 5mm so a drop would probably result in a careless mistake. I also can't find a set of alloys that a) fit correctly and b) I like! Very little choice with the s2k
Old 10 August 2005, 02:00 PM
CTRnutter *2*
Scooby Regular

Blimey haven't been here for a while since my brother moved over to the evos.... so excuse the random post,

You'll love it, I have driven the STI-8 PPP (modified) EVO 8 MR 340, VII RS Sprint and VI GSR (modified). and like to add they are not even worth comparing not that they are no good but they are built with completely different ideas in mind.

I find the drive is very envolving it is very light, has near enough 250 horses under the bonnet, its rear wheel drive has no traction control, LSD, 6 gears and it revs to 9000rpm nuff said

and there is the other side you are in a solid cabin surrounded by leather the roof goes down in 6 seconds and it looks gorgeous to me, you will get attention but from nice young ladies 18+ mind instead of 12 year old kids on their bmx's like the evos and scoobs...

get one you know you want to!!!

Old 11 August 2005, 10:47 PM
rallycol
Scooby Regular

Dont beleive it ,looked at the car ,went home double checked insurance ,rang guy up did deal on phone ,then txt next day saying he sold it to someone else, what a T**T,so back in the market for one !!!!!!
Old 11 August 2005, 10:54 PM
foz01
Scooby Regular

http://Rusty.smugmug.com/photos/24850610-L.jpg

Thats an S2000

For sale too, racing only though..
Old 11 August 2005, 11:58 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by foz01
http://Rusty.smugmug.com/photos/24850610-L.jpg

Thats an S2000

For sale too, racing only though..
Been watching the project, how come it's for sale now mate?
Old 12 August 2005, 12:42 AM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Mines is now Imola Orange with a blue go-faster strip after some scum-sucking-***** dragged their wing mirror down the side of it. I'm mad. I'm gutted. I want to punch random things
Old 12 August 2005, 07:05 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
Mines is now Imola Orange with a blue go-faster strip after some scum-sucking-***** dragged their wing mirror down the side of it. I'm mad. I'm gutted. I want to punch random things
You have worse luck than I do! Mine was keyed (on the drive) within 1 week of having it! Scoob was never touched!
Old 12 August 2005, 07:06 PM
foz01
Scooby Regular

Not enough use am afraid, would rather someone goes and competes proerly rather than me playing at sprints and trackdays!