Sponsored by:

Forester Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2000, 02:21 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Anybody had any first hand experience of the Forester Turbo?
Having been Scoobyless for 10 months now, I may be able to convince my wife that her next car must be one of these.
Is it worth it?
The alternative would be something like a Golf.

I've read a couple of reviews but would be interested in some first hand opinions. Any body got/driven one?

Cheers

Simon
Old 11 September 2000, 03:02 PM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Simon

checkout the "review your car" thread from today.

You should be able to surf through to some Forester owners reviews...

Rich
Old 12 September 2000, 05:40 PM
Tang
Scooby Regular

Smile

Seeing as Prodrive do a series of mods for the Forester S Turbo, I'd say its worthy of a good look, haven't driven one though.

Whatever you do, don't buy a golf.

tang
Old 12 September 2000, 11:01 PM
Sith
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

evo liked the Forester Turbo. Yes, I know their in love with Subaru!

One of the vets from the Beeb program Vets in Practice has got a non turbo version and she loves it. I know 'cause I saw an interview with her on cable.

P.
Old 13 September 2000, 12:01 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Thanks everybody for the comments.
I would love one of the imports but would have to think twice before commiting to a 280bhp car for the shopping runs!
I was thinking in terms of the prodrive power pack but according to the Ace Kensington site, they will only fit this with the 17" wheels. I don't really see why these are necessary - seems like a blatant attempt to offload the wheels.
Those Jap spec cars are looking rather more attractive.

Dieter,

Where in Sidcup were those cars for sale? I know the area well.
Old 13 September 2000, 12:58 AM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

My mother in law got one cause my father in law liked my impreza. They love it and it is a very good car.

Needs a second car myself and am thinking about getting one myself.

Old 13 September 2000, 01:09 AM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Talking

Great car, not as fast as the Impreza but still plenty of fun, best of all taking it to dirt roads.
Oh and if Golf is the alternative I don't see what your'e waiting for buy the Forester now, how can you even compare the two?
Old 13 September 2000, 07:05 AM
dowser
Scooby Senior

I was loaned one by a garage for a few days - very good, not as peaky as the Impreza & runs out of puff earlier but very swift if you use the torque and shift early.

Handling is good in isolation - compared to the Impreza its *soft*

And of course; much more comfortable, more space, blah-blah-blah. Get one!

Richard
Old 13 September 2000, 07:10 AM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Don't forget that you can get an STI Forester imported!
Chuck
Old 13 September 2000, 09:00 AM
Dieter
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

For practical reasons (space/carrying dog etc.) I p/ex'd my RB5 for the Forester turbo.
My thoughts on the Forester turbo are that whilst it doesn't have the same 'oomph' (obviously) as the RB5 it is great fun. You can still 'chuck' it at corners (often within the speed limit) etc. although it does roll a bit!!

Can drive away from all (most) mpv/utility vehicles (and most 2.0 16v repmobiles though not 2.5 V6's) plus you still get the same 'boxer' growl (without the Impreza turbo 'whistle')from the engine.

You also get a degree of exclusivity as there aren't that many around (unlike Imprezas etc!!).

I've 'done' 7K miles @ 26mpg and tyres still look v. good

Overall the Forester, as a general purpose vehicle/load 'lugger' etc. (NOT a rally/road race car) must be as good as it gets (driving wise).

I'm v happy with the Forester, as is the wife (stopped gritting her teeth and lost that ashen look!!!).

Cheers,

Dieter

PS If you're interested in the Forester ST/b there's two for sale near Sidcup (London border)circa £15K
Old 13 September 2000, 09:43 AM
longun
Scooby Regular

Red face

I've got a 2.0 16V rep mobile and I just managed to keep up with one once off the lights, they ain't slow I'll give them that.
Old 13 September 2000, 12:18 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

simon,
been out as a passenger in a non turbo version on several occasions down the lanes,once followed one of these 5.7litre range rovers it could'nt get away even on the straights and it held the forester up on all the bends, so the turbo version should be a definate winner.

get the mrs to take a test drive then she would'nt want a golf (i thought this was a game with stick and ball!)

ray t
Old 13 September 2000, 12:20 PM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

doulble post opps

ray t

[This message has been edited by Ray T (edited 13 September 2000).]
Old 13 September 2000, 01:45 PM
Dieter
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SimonD:
<B>Thanks everybody for the comments.
I would love one of the imports but would have to think twice before commiting to a 280bhp car for the shopping runs!
I was thinking in terms of the prodrive power pack but according to the Ace Kensington site, they will only fit this with the 17" wheels. I don't really see why these are necessary - seems like a blatant attempt to offload the wheels.
Those Jap spec cars are looking rather more attractive.

Dieter,

Where in Sidcup were those cars for sale? I know the area well.[/quote]

Do you know the Dealer at Five-Ways on the Sidcup Bye-Pass (A20) (next set of lights going out of London from Mottingham ). My son popped in their day before yesterday and they had a black (looked neat) and a green (not so neat looking) ST/b.
These are 240BHP, not 280. There is, however, a WRX Forester (Jap) which might be 280(ish) BHP
PS The wheels are included in the Prodrive package to aid handling (along with brake upgrade) are are an 'essential' part of the uprating package (far too expensive IMO?)
Old 13 September 2000, 02:06 PM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Dieter,

I know the place you mean. I'll ride by this evening to have a look.

As for the Prodrive package - I would be more impressed if they insisted on a real brake upgrade (not just Mintex 1155 pads) rather than passing off some speedline wheels which might look great on an Impreza but look rather out of place on something like a Forester.

Does the current model have the two pot or four pot brakes?

Thanks again for the info

Simon
Old 13 September 2000, 02:36 PM
Tang
Scooby Regular

Smile

SimonD,

Have seen a Forester S Turbo with all the Prodrive mods (wheels, spoilers etc.) looked very classy, the oner had also put in black rear windows.Certainly looked better than the Japanese Sti mods.

It's a matter of opinion though.

Let us know what happens, be interested to hear how those cars in Sidcup compare.

Tang
Old 13 September 2000, 03:10 PM
Dieter
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by SimonD:
<B>Dieter,

I know the place you mean. I'll ride by this evening to have a look.

As for the Prodrive package - I would be more impressed if they insisted on a real brake upgrade (not just Mintex 1155 pads) rather than passing off some speedline wheels which might look great on an Impreza but look rather out of place on something like a Forester.

Does the current model have the two pot or four pot brakes?

Thanks again for the info

Simon[/quote]

Simon,

Two pot brakes but discs both ends. I've had no probs stopping (though not had to 'stamp on them hard, yet!)

Cheers,

Dieter
Old 14 September 2000, 08:28 AM
SimonD
Scooby Regular

Had a look at the ST/b last night. Couldn't see too much as it was in the centre of the lot. Only the black one there now - I don't really like the blacked out windows and the wheels were not very attractive.
As this really is going to be the wife's car it looks like it will have to be a UK one.
Part of the appeal of the Forester is it's anonymity, just as it was when I ordered my first Impreza three years ago. This is why I would love to have the Prodrive upgrade without the wheels.
I tried the Prodrive kit for a MY98 and was unimpressed but it sounds like the package for phase 2 engines is rather more impressive. A beefy mid-range would be far more useful than top end performance in this type of car.

Anyway thanks for the input everybody, Lancaster Sevenoaks are going to give us a call when their new demo arrives.
Old 14 September 2000, 09:40 AM
Ray T
Scooby Regular

simon,
don't forget you could do the uk spec import route, gertjan in NL has pricelists which look very good.

ray t
Old 14 September 2000, 03:57 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

Red face

To Dieter,
There's no such thing as a WRX Forester, even in Japan.
All turbo Foresters in Japan have 240ps engines.
Old 14 September 2000, 04:00 PM
BrewandBake
Scooby Regular

Does anyone remember when the Forrester was an EVO long term test car.
One guy reported blowing away a Cerbera in it on a trip abroard.....sorry but I nearly died laughing.
Great car & great performance from the Turbo one but hardly a Cerbera basher.

Brew
Old 14 September 2000, 07:11 PM
elondan
Scooby Regular

Maybe it was pouring rain, or snowing
better still maybe the Cerbera parking on the side of the road.
Old 15 September 2000, 12:58 AM
Dieter
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by BrewandBake:
<B>Are we really to believe a Forrester kept up with the TVR all the way up to 130mph (& loaded up with booze too) !!!!
I can only summise that the TVR was not trying whatsoever.

Get with the real world EVO chaps.

Brew.[/quote]

My impression was that they followed the TVR for miles etc. and at 130mph it(TVR) 'gave up'. NOT that it had the same performance as the TVR cos it don't.
Cheers,

Dieter
Old 15 September 2000, 10:07 AM
Dieter
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by clarence:
<B>To Dieter,
There's no such thing as a WRX Forester, even in Japan.
All turbo Foresters in Japan have 240ps engines.[/quote]

Quite correct. It is, in fact, an STi

Brewandbake. Didn't say it beat it but kept on following up to 130mph whereupon the TVR 'gave up' (wouldn't you with some 'nutter' on yer tail!

Simon. Had a look at the black ST/b as well. Didn't like blacked out windows either but exhaust (drainpipe) looked good. Wheel/tyre combo as for UK spec. Few 'digs' on b/work gained during transit!!

Cheers,

Dieter
Old 15 September 2000, 11:26 AM
BrewandBake
Scooby Regular

Are we really to believe a Forrester kept up with the TVR all the way up to 130mph (& loaded up with booze too) !!!!
I can only summise that the TVR was not trying whatsoever.

Get with the real world EVO chaps.

Brew.
Old 15 September 2000, 01:47 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

I think my Forester Turbo is a nice compromise between performance and praticality.

I love the look on BMW reps as the Forester leaves them far behind on the twisties.

And I love it even more when the baseball hat brigade start spinning their wheels looking for grip at the traffic lights while I’m already a quarter of a mile away.

But I really love the space for loads and the sheer versatility of the Forester.

I hear that next year’s Forester will have the MY01 Impreza’s dash so I’m waiting til then to get my second Forester.
Old 15 September 2000, 01:50 PM
KevMac
Scooby Regular

I think my Forester Turbo is a nice compromise between performance and praticality.

I love the look on BMW reps as the Forester leaves them far behind on the twisties.

And I love it even more when the baseball hat brigade start spinning their wheels looking for grip at the traffic lights while I’m already a quarter of a mile away.

But I really love the space for loads and the sheer versatility of the Forester.

I hear that next year’s Forester will have the MY01 Impreza’s dash so I’m waiting til then to get my second Forester.