Search this Thread

Old 10 August 2005, 09:28 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default feedback required on civic type r's

guy's
am looking for some first hand feedback on the type r's
any member's owned on oover a period of time?
how did you find the performance,handling,reliability?
insurance/servicing cost's?
also,how are they on fuel consumption?

lot's of question's i know,but just looking to get some advice on the ctr before buying one(considering)

cheers
Old 10 August 2005, 09:31 AM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

Do a search - there are loads of threads, long detailed threads for this topic.
Old 10 August 2005, 10:01 AM
Sub97
Scooby Regular

Might not be much help, but I bought one last week.

Initial impressions are that it is a pretty quicky car - certainly doesn't seem to be much difference in this and my old standard Impreza, the handling is very good, nice amount of grip going round corners, the sound is superb, the gearbox is amazing - best one I've ever used, it seems very well made, no rattles or anything like that - but it's only done 2500 miles.

The insurance was good for me - 27, 8 years NCB (protected) 540 quid with Privilege. From the research I did, they seem pretty reliable for a quick car, well made and dont seem to have too many problems. If you keep the car out of the v-tec zone then the consumption isnt too bad at all. I've had a pretty even mixture of vtec driving and motorway so far. Done 200 miles and there is still about a third of a tank left, and they supposedly get more economical the more miles they get on them.

Servicing is every 12 months or 12500 miles I think, the first one being about 160 quid at a Honda dealer.

They can be quite noisy and hard at motorway speeds, but then it depends what sort of car you want. If you want silence and luxury then this isn't for you, if you want something quick, and fun to drive, that doesn't cost to much to run then it could be.

They've got a good forum here mate - http://civictype-r.co.uk/phpbb2/

Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.
Old 10 August 2005, 10:43 AM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have one. Fast, spacious, reliable, fun to drive, good build quality and brand new under 17k - bargain of the decade if you ask me. Other hot hatch equvilents are all around 20k and theres no way the CTR is a 3 grand worse carThere nothing better than hitting 8000rpm (9000 rpm with a hondata chip)

Take on for a test drive - you'll love it
Old 10 August 2005, 10:49 AM
SCOOBYD00
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cocker
I used to have one. Fast, spacious, reliable, fun to drive, good build quality and brand new under 17k - bargain of the decade if you ask me. Other hot hatch equvilents are all around 20k and theres no way the CTR is a 3 grand worse carThere nothing better than hitting 8000rpm (9000 rpm with a hondata chip)

Take on for a test drive - you'll love it
Not owned one of these but always thought they were a great buy. Saw x3 of them going round knockhill last week... they can corner and one had a 5" system on the back that would wake the dead when he hit the *vtec zone*good used buy I would imagine. What are they going for now used?
Old 10 August 2005, 11:11 AM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

been looking at an 05 plate demo,it has the recaro interior,but the dealership have had it done in leather,4000 miles aircon model,they want 15,500 for it,or a straight swap for my 03 sti,it drives really well,handles like a dream on the corners(no understeer at all)they say it is fitted with spoon suspension? or summot

it would just be really difficult to tear myself away from the sti,but running cost's are a little much for me at the moment,so still in consideration at the mo,the missus is having none of it,she say's the civic would be superb for her,but dosnt want me to sell the sti and get one

mark

Last edited by ethanrob; 10 August 2005 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10 August 2005, 12:16 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I drove my mates '04 CTR and after all the hype on here (and other forums) about how good they are I was really looking forward to it.

But I have to say, I was a little dissappointed to be honest.

Don't get me wrong I think it is a good car for the price and it did handle pretty well around the lanes, but it just didn't feel as quick as I was expecting, maybe I was expecting too much?
Old 10 August 2005, 12:22 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
I drove my mates '04 CTR and after all the hype on here (and other forums) about how good they are I was really looking forward to it.

But I have to say, I was a little dissappointed to be honest.

Don't get me wrong I think it is a good car for the price and it did handle pretty well around the lanes, but it just didn't feel as quick as I was expecting, maybe I was expecting too much?
Coming from a turbocharged motor, I think you'll struggle to get on with the type R to be honest mate. Vtec engines are remarkable and great fun when the red mist descends, but unless you drive it like you stole it, the lack of omph i.e. torque will annoy you. The civic is a great hot hatch, and a bargin too, but its no Impreza.

If you must defect to hot hatches, might I suggest a Leon Cupra R. Proper turbocharged fun! I think you'lll like its character more than the Civics.

Regards,

NS04
Old 10 August 2005, 12:35 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Coming from a turbocharged motor, I think you'll struggle to get on with the type R to be honest mate. Vtec engines are remarkable and great fun when the red mist descends, but unless you drive it like you stole it, the lack of omph i.e. torque will annoy you. The civic is a great hot hatch, and a bargin too, but its no Impreza.

If you must defect to hot hatches, might I suggest a Leon Cupra R. Proper turbocharged fun! I think you'lll like its character more than the Civics.

Regards,

NS04
Agreed. The owner was with me and he was giving me a bit of advice with keeping the power down right to the top of the rev range to use the VTEC, guess it isn't really my cup of tea. Although I wouldn't mind trying one with the Jackson Supercharger fitted!

My brother sold his scoob recently and got himself a Leon Cupra R, nice car and I think I prefer it over the Civic.
Old 10 August 2005, 01:40 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

I sat in the back of one for over 6 hours, and it was the only car I could sit up straight in...
Old 10 August 2005, 01:44 PM
ethanrob
Scooby Regular

yep!
have noticed the interior is very spacious,obvious points to look at for me is the stereo,needs removing and binning,also the front seats are a little bizzarre for a hatchback,usually they tilt and slide in one movement,but on the civic you have to tilt,and then slide forward useing the under seat ajuster? a wee bit strange

also when i drove the demo,it handled like it was on rails,will it handle this well in the wet?
Old 10 August 2005, 02:06 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
yep!
have noticed the interior is very spacious,obvious points to look at for me is the stereo,needs removing and binning,also the front seats are a little bizzarre for a hatchback,usually they tilt and slide in one movement,but on the civic you have to tilt,and then slide forward useing the under seat ajuster? a wee bit strange

also when i drove the demo,it handled like it was on rails,will it handle this well in the wet?
The seats are a bit weird although you should have to move the under seat adjuster. The only problem is that if you push the seat forward for a passenger to get in or out, the front seat locks back into a standard postiion and not the position you had it. It annoyed me so much i never used to let peopl get in the back from my side. Apparantly most jap 2 door cars do this.

In the wet the CTR can be a bit mental - its pretty easy to wheelspin in 3rd gear and theres quite alot of understeer if you push it.

To let you know depreciation values i brought mine 8 month old in black with aircon for 15.7k then part exed it 22 months later for 12k and it only had 22k on the clock

For close to 300bhp put on a JRSC with K-PRO ECU and an exhaust and decent airbox. Should cost you around 3-3.5k. A 52 plate with the above just sold on the CTR website for 12.2k!!!!
Old 10 August 2005, 02:07 PM
soup dragon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ethanrob
will it handle this well in the wet?
It will if you get rid of those potenza's, they are crap in the wet.
Old 10 August 2005, 02:08 PM
Gazza_99
Scooby Regular

Lads,

I've gone from owing a Standard Impreza Turbo for 3-years to a CTR. You can't really compare the cars. They are totally the opposite in terms of the power delivery. The CTR handles better in the dry than my old Impreza because the suspension is firmer. In the wet you need to be extra careful in the CTR because the tyres soon lose traction. In the scooby it was never a problem.
The CTR is definitely as fast as my old scooby after 60mph. The good thing about owning the CTR is that it very good value for money and you will be making less frequent trips to the Petrol stations !!
I do agree that you need to drive it like you stole it to get the best performance out of the the VTEC engine. I found the more you rag it the faster it becomes. That is just the nature of the VTEC engine.
So far I've no regrets moving to the CTR. One day I hope to return to a scooby.

cheers

Gary.
Old 10 August 2005, 03:02 PM
davedipster
Scooby Senior

I had a CTR for a year from new and it was ok, being a hatchback it was practical because of the loading area and fold down rear seats. Having only Two seats in the back was a pain as was the drivers seat not remembering where it was after folding it back.
The handling was skittish and hard, and easy to upset mid corner on a bumpy B road. The std tyres very poor in he wet and noisey.
I had Two warrantee claims in a year. Headlight adjuster unit u/s and window motor.
Insurance was £600, my new 03sti costs about half again.
Fuel wise I got 28-30mpg.
To get anywhere quick it needed to be in the v-tec zone because outside of that my wifes fiesta zetec-s was faster!
I found it tiresome after a while and sold it after a year.
To summise it was fun (in v-tec zone) and practical for the money, but not my thing at the end of the day.

dipster
Old 10 August 2005, 03:08 PM
Dai-Tec
Scooby Regular

As everyone has already said the Civic is a great car for the money. It has many good points but as you currently own a big fat STI I think you could be slightly disappointed with the Civic. Best advice would be to go onto the civic r forum and also take a test drive to see for yourself. On the other hand, the Leon Cupra R could be more suitable to you and is also highly recommended on the civic forum.
Old 10 August 2005, 03:54 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

Did the thick end of 50k in a CTR. It was a works car so got abused to say the least. In the time I had it the only 1 problem I had was a water hose slpit. Other than that no problems. It had 4 full sets of new rubber in 50k. I had 145mph out of it. Tried my best to burst the engine but it was 100% reliable. The only thing that lets it down IMHO is the inside, bit basic, but its a Type R after all. Needs an LSD. The one we had was an 02, and had the 6200rpm vtec change point, I think that has been lowered to 5200 now? Some people struggle to keep it on power but this is puerly driver error, if you hold the gear to just before the red line and then change up you will land right back in the VTEC band. Gearbox is very slick too. To sum up, reliable, fast, great engine, needs LSD and ESP lets feedback down but other than that perfect. I would buy one.
Old 10 August 2005, 05:53 PM
MBK
Scooby Regular

I tried to go all sensible and bought a new Civic Type R, I agree with many of the comments above, its a bargain and holds its money really well. I used to be a big hot hatch fan 306 GTi-6's etc and I thought I would enjoy going back to that feeling and save some cash in the process buying something relatively sensible. Loved the test drive and enjoyed the car for 5 months and 6000 miles but then got bored of hitting the limiter and felt it was really a one trick pony and so quickly ended up back in a scoob...oh and the free driving day you get with the a new Type R is great! All in all a car I would have enjoyed a few years earlier and would still recommend unless you have already been seduced by cars with more power and all weather ability...
Old 12 August 2005, 04:41 PM
Smudga
Scooby Regular

Forget the CTR get your hands on the Integra Type R DC2 - 2 raw for some though- but better drivers car IMO
Old 12 August 2005, 07:45 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

Just got rid of my type r. Would agree with all the comments on them good and bad. For me it was just to frantic after the Evo, and on the motorway!!!!!!!! earplugs at the ready. A lot more relaxing now in the 330.
dave
Old 12 August 2005, 07:48 PM
daz_vx220
Scooby Regular

Default Dont do it !!!!!!!

Had one for 3 months, too much power and cant get anywhere in it if it has been raining. Canes juice as well. I swapped it for a vx220, much much better.
Old 12 August 2005, 08:10 PM
scooby_matt
Scooby Regular

Just got rid of a mk IV astra (I know) GSI.
Never had any trouble staying with a CTR and if motorway driving is your thing, couldn't recommend anything better for the money. You'll get a good one at a year old for 12K.
Would still have it if there weren't such thing as scoobs