Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Polo G40

Search this Thread

Old 06 March 2005, 08:08 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polo G40

Hi all, a friend of a friend is sell one cheap and im thinking of getting it, ive had a corrado g60 before and on the whole i liked it. Anybody owned a G40 before? i know that thier superchargers are not as weak as the corrado G60 and that they are pretty basic inside with no electric windows or looking for example! any more info would be much apriciated!

thanks

moz
Old 07 March 2005, 03:20 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

G40's are a bit of a lemon IMHO. My mate had a lovely one, although still ugly, spent a fortune on a different charger / head / exhaust blah blah......

It was very torquy and very fast. We went in convoy to Donnington show about 4 years ago. I had a 306 D-turbo at the time, and this other lad joined us in his new Y plate 106 gti - compleatly stock. So we set off for donny at about 7am - the roads were quiet and we headed up the bypass. g40 shot off and the 106 followed, i obviously hung back without a choice and saw the back of the 106, suddenly the 106 pulled to the right of the G40 and then tucked away in front, and conclusivly the 106 managed to pull infront of the ageing G40.

To conclude they are not 'the' classic dub to own, but not a bad choice. The steering is far too heavy, and the brakes are very bad. The gearbox is the weak point though, expect to rebuild every 100k. My mate got stung at 130k in a big way to his cost, but the rest of the car was solid.

Good luck

Andy
Old 07 March 2005, 06:37 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

hmmmm, ive only ever heard good things about them!!!.... i red somwhere that there are only 250 left on the road..
Old 07 March 2005, 06:52 PM
Plums!
Scooby Regular

Wink

I had one from new bought it in 94 had it for 4 years.....

Awesome piece of kit!

Without a question would have another that is if I didn't already have 3 cars a wife and a little nipper!

Mine had a chip and a pulley change 140 bhp 720 kilos!!!!!

Handling from stock ain't great but that can be sorted.... rear brakes are drums which can be switched to rear golf GTI discs... but I never did and mine stopped sweet!

O-60 as standard was around the same time as Renault GT5....

Mine used to crack 60 in around 6.8 /6.9

A real wolf in sheeps clothing....

Only real downer is that parts can be very expensive due to limited numbers

So make sure it's a good with no problems and FSH and always a good synthetic oil.

I still dream of my old one!!!!!

You got me looking now........ bugger!

Plums..
Old 08 March 2005, 06:41 PM
Plums!
Scooby Regular

Cool

Here is a great website full of all you need to know info on the G40...

www.polog40.co.uk

Enjoy!

Plums....
Old 08 March 2005, 06:59 PM
Tasberley
Scooby Regular

they are great little cars!! i use to have a later shape polo gti so got to know lots of g40 owners. cracking little cars that are very nippy. important to get one that has had the charged rebuilt fairly recently by some1 like jabbasport... check out www.porka.net as it is a dedicated polo site that is brill.

tas
Old 08 March 2005, 08:11 PM
Gastro
Scooby Regular

I had one back in 1995 - owned it for 2 years and then my dad had it for another 2 years. Absolutely superb is all I can say about them. I went the AmD chip - which was good enough for 140bhp and 150lbft torque. Its a rocket.

The weakness from memory are the brakes - no feel and spongy as hell. Spent a fair amount with DOT 5.1, braided hoses etc - none really help except some fast road pads.

If I ever find an original with reasonable miles, I'll buy it as a second car.

<agh> the good old days

Gastro

Trending Topics

Old 08 March 2005, 09:09 PM
Plums!
Scooby Regular

Talking

Just worked out that mine was producing 194 bhp per tonne

Oh boy I was naughty on one or two occasions with that car!

Defo buy another....

Nailed the car everyday to the red line and still faultless for 4 years!

What a car

Ho hum....

Plums.....
Old 08 March 2005, 09:17 PM
RoRu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned a red j reg G40 for 2 years, and loved every minute of it really regret selling it, i also agree with most of what's been said the brake are usless but a few quid spent on them makes them work better (sort of) but you soon learn to drive around it's weakneses.

Had the AmD chip and pulley on mine and it totaly transform it, soooo much torque from that little engine theres was no need to rev it passed 4.5k.

What sort of money are they going for now?

I payed 3.8k owned it for 2 yrs and sold it to a mate for 3k who had it for another 2.5 yrs and he sold it for 3k!.
Old 09 March 2005, 06:50 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

They are £1500-2500 or an original minter would fetch more, the reason im looking into getting one is that a friend of a friend was 'given' one for £200, his uncle works in the motor trade and got one px and gave it to him, hes only 19 and he's 'bored' with it! i want to make him an offer for it but he knows they are worth a bit as there are only around 250 left on the roads... hopefully he'll let it go for a resonalble amount but im not 100% sure he will!

I had a g60 with a AMD chip and pulley and that went very well!! would like to get into a supercharged car again.
Old 09 March 2005, 07:24 PM
Plums!
Scooby Regular

Can't compare a G60 to a G40.... really....

G40 was just so much more fun to drive.... Remember trying a G60 Golf it just didn't seem as alive if you know what I mean?

£200 squid ain't alot of money even at trade.... something seems a little wiffy? Do the right thing and get it checked out!

Plums....
Old 09 March 2005, 10:18 PM
Mike123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mozzaITA
hmmmm, ive only ever heard good things about them!!!.... i red somwhere that there are only 250 left on the road..
Just as an aside to this, I too had not seen very many G40s on the road in the UK - probably only noticed 2 or 3 in the year.
BUT, went on honeymoon to Madeira and saw ABSOLUTELY LOADS!!! They seem the hot hatch of choice in Funchal. Must have seen about 30 in a
week over there and that was just in the main city. Some were obviously pretty quick as we used to see some impressive traffic light races on the walk uphill out of town in the evening - saw a Porsche Boxster left behind by one of the little Polos one night - the Porsche did look like he was trying as well !!
Old 10 March 2005, 01:46 PM
mozzaITA
Scooby Regular

The car should be legit, his uncle is a car dealer or has a dealership i cant remember which one and he more or less gave him the car for £200.

Yeah i too drove a few std G60 corrados and they were disapionting but the one i bought had been chipped and pulley changed (AMD) and was much better!
Old 10 March 2005, 09:08 PM
Plums!
Scooby Regular

Keep us posted!

Good luck....

Plums...