M3 or Boxster S ?? both buyable for less than 25k

Search this Thread

Old 29 January 2005, 06:15 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default M3 or Boxster S ?? both buyable for less than 25k

Hi All,

Driving an S2000 right now, but as ever Im eyeing up my next move. Not willing/able to afford any more than 25K. Ive seen M3s and Boxster S's for this money (and less too) even with half decent mileage 30,000 ish. Seems like a lot of car for that money..............However Im torn between the 2. Any thoughts / experiences..............or other ideas? Must be a dailyish driver, be ok to run/service etc

Andy
Old 29 January 2005, 06:48 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a Boxter and you will always want a 911 - so if you can stretch
a bit more say 28k get a secondhand 996 carrera
Old 29 January 2005, 07:12 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

I had this choice.....and bought a C32 AMG.
Old 29 January 2005, 07:31 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Boxster S is likely to cost you less in the long-run than an M3. New shape M3 out this year or next, so prices of the old shape will wane. Boxster S is sure to hold its value better, so for me that would clinch it.

Also as much as I like M3's they do tend to get a bit of a 'mean streets' image as they get older if you know what I mean! And the porka is convertible too.....
Old 29 January 2005, 08:45 PM
sonu
Scooby Regular

There's no way BM will release the new M3 so soon. They tend to wait a while before releasing M models.
Old 29 January 2005, 09:11 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Boxster S is likely to cost you less in the long-run than an M3. New shape M3 out this year or next, so prices of the old shape will wane. Boxster S is sure to hold its value better, so for me that would clinch it.

Also as much as I like M3's they do tend to get a bit of a 'mean streets' image as they get older if you know what I mean! And the porka is convertible too.....
New boxster is out soon as well if not already - it was on Top Gear last year.

To be honest they are like chalk and cheese - one is a roadster and another a sports saloon. If you want to cruise the motorways with 4 seats then buy the beamer, if you want an excellent drive and drop top for the summer then get the porka.

Would pick the porsche myself.

Simon.
Old 29 January 2005, 11:40 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sonu
There's no way BM will release the new M3 so soon. They tend to wait a while before releasing M models.
Out mid 2006.
Old 30 January 2005, 09:49 PM
FletchCSL
Scooby Regular

Different cars to be honest, but in my opinion i'd take the M3. Faster, safer, better looking. I'd rather have a 993 conv over a boxster.

Both will lose equal value, as the new boxster model is already out.

Why not the best of both with an M3 convertable? Or have they not dropped below 25k yet?
Old 30 January 2005, 10:22 PM
Engineer@Uni
Scooby Regular

man, the question isn't Boxster S or M3, it's mid-engine roadster or sports saloon. The versatility of the M3 will be sorely missed on the Box, but if you have a S2K alraedy and want something to fill that hole, I'd go for the Boxster S. It's a lot more interesting than an M3, seems like every 3rd beemer I look at has the tell-tale slots cut just behind the front wheel arches. The point that the Porsche depreciates better is also worth considering. Plus, I'd wager money that the Porsche makes a good deal more mpg than the M3. I'd also challenge the notion that the M3 outperforms the Boxster S. The S might have less power, but the Boxster has a way-better mid-engine layout, as well as a good 150-200 kg less than the M3. Needless to say lower center of gravity.

Either way you'll have an excelent car.
Old 31 January 2005, 12:19 PM
Lemmy
Scooby Regular

Many Boxsters and 996s (and the new 997) suffer from oil leaks from the rear main seal (RMS). Apparently a survey of PCGB Boxsters showed 25% suffer from this fault. Replacement of seal takes 8-10 hrs, i.e alot of money, and fault usually reoccurs. Have a look on the Renlist site for more information.

It appears that Porsche do not acknowledge the design fault and do not know how to fix it. The latest theory is it is due to a misaligned gearbox. The fault seems to occur at random, i.e. with new cars or ones that are several years old. Some people have had replacement gearboxes or engines as a result of rms failure, but I don't think this is usual. Unfortunately Porsche do not currently sell replacement parts for Boxster or 996 engines and gearboxes, so if there is a serious problem, a new engine/gearbox is required!

I would do alot of research before committing to a used boxster since it may cost you a lot of money if you are unlucky.

I must admit though that a Boxster S is an attractive proposition. There are lots around for £23-25k with low mileage. Autocar and Evo magazines both rave about them. Evo had one on test for a year and had a few problems: hood sticking open, corroded brake discs (required replacement) and stuck in 4th gear; but still loved the car. The owner rated it above STi and Elise.

Alan
Old 31 January 2005, 12:23 PM
Mmmmm
Scooby Regular

Owned both at same time M3cab and boxster S

Both are excellent cars.

M3 is quite a bit quicker, screaming fun engine, more forgiving handling , the DSC system makes driving hard in the wet much easier. The m3 on 19"s has a harder ride, but better seats and lots more practical room. Did 21mpg. Loads more Kit all have cruise control and other goodies that make long trips more pleasant.

M3 is an instant grin, good hooligan, I found it more fun and much quicker at track days you can push up to and past it's limits and it'll forgive you more readily, it's more practical car.

Boxtser has more grip, better chassis, better steering, much more sensitive to driver inputs although this makes it more of a drivers tool it makes it easier to upset the balance of the car when your clumsy and it is harder to correct when you exceed it's higher limits. Did 24mpg.

The Boxster has more depth as a drivers car, it is the better pure drive but it takes longer to get the best out it and it is tricker to drive really hard.

You can't really go wrong but for day to day use I would get an M3, instant fun, more practical, much better on a wet dark night on a strange road when some thing unexpected happens.

If you do get a boxster try to get one with PSM stability control.

Lovely cars gone now

Old 08 February 2005, 03:09 PM
nicboy
Scooby Newbie

Wink

Go for the M3 the Boxster S is slow in comparisson, plus you have room for your
mates and for the Shopping!!
Old 08 February 2005, 03:24 PM
Senior_AP
Scooby Regular

M Coupe.

Will toss on both of them.
Old 08 February 2005, 05:12 PM
Andy M3
Scooby Regular

Well i think i am the only person that has replied and hasn't owned a E46 or a Boxter. But personally, i feel the S2K is too good to get rid of for the likes of an M3 or a Boxter. You see they maybe faster cars, or handle better or have more of a wow factor but at the end of the day the S2K has to be the best all rounder and top value for money sports car out there. Far more reliable than the German cars....

I would wait, and not limit your choices to those two. You may be able to get a M3 CSL in 12 months for a song. Maybe not 25k but they are real drivers cars, i have been lead to believe, and that might widen the list of options...

still just my 2p
Old 08 February 2005, 05:27 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

I am now getting rid of the C32 AMG and getting a Boxster S, I only keep my cars a short time but the the Boxster S is the first car I will get and honestly keep for a few years, they are great cars.
Old 08 February 2005, 05:44 PM
punkie
Scooby Regular

Do you want 2 seats or 4 seats, that would be my first thought.

After that i'd be looking at spec, which the beemer has plenty of.

Personally i would have the beemer, mainly because you have
practicallity and performane and i used to have one !!

I don't know but when i see the Boxter i dosen't make me go wow
but the M3 does.

Both superb motors but the Bavarian beast would win my heart every time!!
Old 08 February 2005, 05:50 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Boxster won't date, look how e36 M3's have dated next to the e46.
Old 08 February 2005, 05:55 PM
punkie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bobby Peru
Boxster won't date, look how e36 M3's have dated next to the e46.
That's the other problem though.

Porsche bring out a new model, it looks like the last bugger

I don't know but they seem scared to move away from what they do

The Cayane (Spelling) was such a breath of fresh air.
Old 08 February 2005, 07:48 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Great for the people who buy them though, if I buy a 4-5 year old Boxster S, it'll still look good in another 5 years.
Old 08 February 2005, 08:31 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

after just watched an old episode of top gear , yes ok , i'd go for the M3
Old 08 February 2005, 09:54 PM
A1exander
Scooby Regular

I tend to agree. I cannot comment on the M3 but having owned the S2k and my sister having the Boxter S, their was no way I would swap the S2 for a Boxter. Why not look at the new model S2K? I do like the Porsche but I just prefer the Honda, it seems to like hard driving more and I tend to see far less S2000's compared to Porsche Boxter's.

If I did not have a back problem that currently stops me enjoying low seating two seater sports cars, I would be looking at the TVR Tamora, not far off 25K now and seriously quick compared to the other two. Thats next on the shopping list as soon as i get my back sorted. 350BHP in a bit of fibre glass!!!!

Originally Posted by Andy M3
Well i think i am the only person that has replied and hasn't owned a E46 or a Boxter. But personally, i feel the S2K is too good to get rid of for the likes of an M3 or a Boxter. You see they maybe faster cars, or handle better or have more of a wow factor but at the end of the day the S2K has to be the best all rounder and top value for money sports car out there. Far more reliable than the German cars....

I would wait, and not limit your choices to those two. You may be able to get a M3 CSL in 12 months for a song. Maybe not 25k but they are real drivers cars, i have been lead to believe, and that might widen the list of options...

still just my 2p