Sponsored by:

Scoob V Boxster

Search this Thread

Old 20 June 2002, 09:58 PM
ScoobyRAZ
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

My brother is shortly getting his hands on a Porsche Boxster for a few days and keeps telling me how he's going to "sort my Impreza (standard MY99 UK Turbo - with Optimax out" with it. Now I'm not so sure about this. Has anyone 'safely' compared the two together?

P.S. I don't want this thread to turn into a "my car versus your car" carry on, I'm just interested in honest experiences and how these compare to what the book figures say.

See ya
Rich
Old 20 June 2002, 10:06 PM
chopper
Scooby Regular

I took my old housemate out in the P1 last year - he has a std boxster. The torque was something he'd never experienced and it literally took his breath away when I floored it. His brakes were better mind you.

The std scooby obviously has less poke but still plenty to suprise a driver used to the linear response of a Boxster. Not much in it though I guess (although the girls probably smile at you more in the porker...)
Old 20 June 2002, 10:20 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Porsche or a scoob ?????? Boxter any day. better buy maybe a better car. better built. Women will hang their legs on the doors.
Old 21 June 2002, 10:25 AM
peccy
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

had a friendly race with one last night, i was pulling away constantly from the traffic lights only in a straight line though dont about on the twisties?

0-60:
Porsche Boxster 6.5sec
Turbo 2000 5.4sec
(www.evo.co.uk)

[Edited by peccy - 6/21/2002 10:27:55 AM]
Old 21 June 2002, 10:29 AM
yoza
BANNED

Red face

Have I missed something here.......
Which Boxter they make a few...2.5 - 3.2lt I think.
Ones slow,ones quick,they all handle well,so just hope hes gettin the slow one
Old 21 June 2002, 10:43 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

I had no probs out-dragging (uphill) a Boxter S in my MY99 with full decat - guy wasn't happy!!
Old 21 June 2002, 10:47 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Talking

that's right yoza, also depends on the gearbox. New boxster s tiptronic is 6.5 seconds, manual 5.6.....0-100 on the boxster s is round about 13.5 seconds I think.
I had a similar thread going few months ago....the only reason I asked the performance figures is that the guy who got the boxster @ our place was a d1ck.
You will definetly need a modified scoob to beat one on the straights, escpecially the S.
I went out in his s, he floored it in first 3 gears (it was run in) but he had the tiptronic one.....I definetly could have pulled away to 100 IMHO but bear in mind, mine quite heavily modded (in my view anyway & the boxster is out of the box remember
fantastic looking cars, gorgeous, & very good brakes.

shunty

Trending Topics

Old 21 June 2002, 10:52 AM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

ps - the guy bottled out after initailly challenging me btw
anyone got a boxster "S" on here & lives in the wakefield area & fancy a run out, in the dry of course to give you a chance ??

shunty
Old 21 June 2002, 10:57 AM
Cat
Scooby Newbie

Yep, but for this price... imagine the STI full modified U can get... and then the porche will only see the rear of your car and 2 small red points vanishing in the night, far far ahead !!!
+
not speaking about weet conditions... porches aren't safely out those days...

[Edited by Cat - 6/21/2002 11:00:16 AM]
Old 21 June 2002, 11:06 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

P1 is not a MY99 and has 30% more power so pretty unfair.

In normal driving I find with my MY95 UK that as I'm not prepared to destroy the last of my clutch the 0-60 is pretty irrelavent. Just been to LeMans in company with a std boxster (amongst other things). I may have had the edge away from toll-booths If I hadn't been the mst heavily laden car there, but in real-world driving with other people around there isn't any real difference. Most places in the UK it will be down not to the car but how brave/stupid/anti-social each driver is feeling in any given situation.

Deano
Old 21 June 2002, 11:16 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Standard Boxters have no chance. Just trust me on this one.

Now if its a Boxter S, I wouldn't really know....
Old 21 June 2002, 11:21 AM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

The only time the Boxster should take over is above 150MPH. Boxster S will give more of a run for the money.

Dan
Old 21 June 2002, 12:33 PM
Denzil_Dog
Scooby Regular

when my 205gti 1.9 was on the road i raced a couple in the twisties and there wasnt much in that !!
Old 21 June 2002, 12:38 PM
scottdg
Scooby Regular

Doesn't the MY99-00 Impreza brochure have a quote in it that goes something like. "on a reason track test the impreza felt as quick as the Porsche Boxster, but lapped quicker"

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, from personal experience, I manage to belittle my mates 2.7 Boxster in a straight line around the twisties, mid range etc, etc.

With the "S" it's alittle closer, but the scoob is always quicker off the mark. Remember, up to the ton a well sorted Impreza will worry a 911 let alone a Boxster (Turbo excluded).
Old 21 June 2002, 12:42 PM
HKSubaru
Scooby Senior

i think porsche name was ruined for me after it brang out the boxster, a cheap affordible car with performance that lacks!
Old 21 June 2002, 12:45 PM
whip
Scooby Regular

Talking

I had the privilege a few weeks ago of putting a few Boxsters through their paces at Oulton. The one I spent most time in was the 3.2 S manual. Quite deceiving in the way it makes it's power, but it wasn't oh-my-god fast, just a very nicely balanced car with a decent amount of power and a fantastic engine note.

The tiptronic was slightly slower, and mine developed a braking problem which put that car out of the picture for the day.

A while before that I'd pitched my scoob (MY00 standard UK) against a friend's boxster S manual (with the porsche sports exhaust) down the local private road and there was nothing on it on the straights - both very evenly matched.

Through the twisties it's hard to say, depends on the driver. In the dry the boxster has fantastic brakes and balance (there I've said it again but it's true) and in the right hands is an extremely capable car, but so is the scoob. With equal talent behind the wheel I'd say there'd be nothing in it either way, at least in the dry. Wet tarmac severely hinders the boxster, at Oulton it was snapping out of line on even moderate throttles where the scooby would be digging in and finding grip.

Btw neither are a match for Blutes' Maxi.

Whip
Old 21 June 2002, 03:17 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

Offer to race him but both cars have tio have 4 people and a couple of suitcases in ... :wink:
Old 21 June 2002, 04:28 PM
Lee M
Scooby Regular

HKSubaru, Porsche name ruined after it 'brang' out the Boxster huh??? £34k (or nearly 38k with decent options) cheap?? Good value more like for a superb 2 seater, mid engined, purpose built open top Roadster (not a golf in drag ala Audi TT ) that has won universal praise and been the best car in its class since introduction (read any magazines if you don't believe me, try Evo the mag that loves Scoobs so much if you want as well) And as for lacking performance... there is more to a great car than just straight line performance, alot more...
Boxsters have a bad reputation, but try driving one... I did and ended up buying one. Best car I've ever owned but no where near the fastest in a straight line! Also without the Boxster there would be no Porsche, it saved the company from extinction.
Old 21 June 2002, 04:41 PM
Denzil_Dog
Scooby Regular

sory lee but i agree with HKS, when they brought the boxter out all i could think was ........MX5/MR2 convertable with a BIT more guts.....
no offence to any MR2 owners ( dreamweaver) but for the cost of the boxter i would want a lot more car

[Edited by Denzil_Dog - 6/21/2002 4:45:48 PM]
Old 21 June 2002, 04:44 PM
Ex-Bitten Hero
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Straight line from 20mph off a roundabout, my MY00 PPP (with Optimax ), his red 1 year-old Boxster S, nothing in it whatsoever up to almost three figures when I eased back (license is more important to me!). Caught up with him in parallel lines of traffic later and looked across and smiled. He glared back while the blonde in the passenger seat smirked and waved at me!

Richard
Old 21 June 2002, 04:45 PM
Denzil_Dog
Scooby Regular

in fact reading what i have just posted shows my opinion !!
i just apologised to MR2 owners for comparing their car to a *cough
*... *cough*... boxster.....

[Edited by Denzil_Dog due to crap spelling- 6/21/2002 4:46:27 PM]

[Edited by Denzil_Dog - 6/21/2002 4:55:34 PM]
Old 21 June 2002, 04:45 PM
TypeRMan
Scooby Regular

Cool

Had a 0-100 race with a Boxster S in Sti V5 Type R.

Got past him to his bewilderment. Couple of geeks were dumbfounded. Obviously thought 'Porsche there is no substitute'.
Old 21 June 2002, 04:46 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Wink

Boxster & "S" performance figures:

http://autozine.kyul.net/html/Porsche1.htm

"Instead of 204hp and 181 lbft, the enlarged engine pumps out 220 hp and 192 lbft. Not big numbers, but in reality the difference is more than that. From 4,000rpm to 7,000rpm, the increase of punch is more noticeable, as seen by the 0-100mph of 15.5 sec. That is far quicker than the old car’s 18.0 sec and not far behind Boxster S’s 14.2 sec. What a pity it still drive through a 5-speed manual from the old car, without Boxster S’s 6-speeder to choose from."

Admittedly these figures are from the older "S" model (have they upped the power since then ? ), but 14.2 for 0-100 from a £40k car is hardly gonna blow a scoob away now is it. So lets say the new 2002 model is 12.5 for 0-100, is that really worth that much money & don't try to tell me that people don't buy this as a fast sports car
IMHO of course
shunty

Old 21 June 2002, 04:47 PM
Lee M
Scooby Regular

You are of course entitled to your opinion... but according to Hks its a cheap 'affordible' car I think too many people judge the Boxster on the 0-60 figures and have never driven one. Just look at the awards it has won and how succesful its been, or better still drive one, like whip did. You might change your mind, I did....
Old 21 June 2002, 04:50 PM
Lee M
Scooby Regular

Denzil_dog if your gonna slag my motor off, please at least spell it correctly.... its Boxster
Old 21 June 2002, 04:54 PM
Denzil_Dog
Scooby Regular

Wink

true lee, i aint drove one and doubt i would get the chance to, aint got the spare 30k for one anyways.
we all have differant things we want from cars and in the end it's down to what the individual wants
thats what stops us all driving round in horrible square metal boxes with wheels ( well.....focus drivers still do )
Old 21 June 2002, 04:55 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Smile

fair comment Lee M - I personally am more interested in the 0-100 figures though. Buy a boxster fine, if you like one, but not for performance surely ? everyone I have spoken to (which admittedly isn't that many), but neverless, they appear to think this car is virtually unbeatable....& certainly a scoob would not stand a chance.

shunty
Old 21 June 2002, 05:00 PM
shunty
Scooby Regular

Cool

we did have this conversation about 2 months ago, & it was me who started that one off....& can I just say that it's still fun doing it again

shunty
Old 21 June 2002, 05:12 PM
Lee M
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys, nice to have differences of opinions without people spitting out dummies! Denzil_dog next time you come darn sarf you can take my one for a spin... got a airfilter, manifolds, no cats, etc. etc.... all boy-raced up shunty, I have a small confession... I also love straight line speed, I've got a 4x4 3 door Stripped out Cossie thats satisfies my needs took it to the ring with some guys off here, ask Gossy how fast it is all the chicks love the Porsche though

[Edited by Lee M - 6/21/2002 5:15:54 PM]
Old 21 June 2002, 05:27 PM
Ian236
Scooby Regular

Talking

Took on a Boxster S on quiet and safe country road in MY02 STi type UK and left it for dead on the straight and the bendy bits, but appreciate the comments about the car that serves your needs rather than just outright speed.

As an aside a friend was after buying an M3 which he thought was very quick until he went in mine and it frightened him to death - power delivery or something he said!!

Ian

Quick Reply: Scoob V Boxster