Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Skyline GTS-T

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2003, 09:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In my quest to by some ancient pain in the **** stupid Japanese turbocharged shed, my attention has once again moved to the Nissan Skyline, not your GTR 4wd monster but the humbler GTS-T 2wd 250 bhp model.

The seem to be reasonably priced and with the right colour/wheel combo probably the coolest car in the world, are they actually any good, performance, handling etc. I know they will be heavy on fuel but are they insurable for mere mortals ?
Old 14 December 2003, 10:20 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought a black GTS-T in 1999, it was a late 94 model.
Loved it. Lots of oomph, not a kick you in the back bang, but lots of progressive shove. Lots of catchable tail out stuff, lots of looks on the m/way from confused motorists!

Only one thing to watch out for.
I was hammering it down the A3 to M25 slip road in the wet, and got mega wheelspin in 3rd at about 80mph!

I loved the car, and would get one again tomorrow. It never missed a beat.

Easily tuneable to 300BHP+.
Go on, you know you want to.
Old 14 December 2003, 11:31 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

'mega wheelspin in 3rd at about 80mph!'

Gulp, sounds alarming.

Cheers for the info, couple of other questions, seeing as they are approaching ten years old can you get parts easily ?

What kind of 'economy' did you get, I know its going to be fairly heavy on fuel but just how bad is it ?

Performance wise what do they compare to, as quick as a standard Scoob (obvious benchmark) as I cant find any figures.

Insurance, terrifying or not.

Are they easy to live with day to day, i.e. in traffic.

Sorry to be a pest but the GTS-T is the choice I keep coming back to and would prefer not to buy a nightmare, not really after a GTR as they are too expensive and a fair bit more complex, plus I like the idea of RWD.
Old 14 December 2003, 12:54 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Parts supply wasn't an issue. Nothing ever went wrong! I was told that 85% of the parts were bog standard Nissan, the rest can be sourced. Remember this was 4 years ago, the Skyline scene in the UK is much more active now. Abbey Motorsport just of J6 of M25 seem to be the boys for anything skyline related, so if your worried about parts, I'd call them first.

Economy? Well i use to commute about 110 miles a day, and if i took it easy, i'd get 3 days worth out of a tank. Driving hard, that would drop to 2, sometimes less if I was driving cross country!

Performance? I sold the GTS and went for a ST205 Celica GT4, o-60 in 5.2ish. The Skyline was quicker. Honestly, my mate had, and still has a Celica, and although close, he couldnt keep up with me. And mine was standard.

Insurance cost me £500 with some place in Sutton, Surrey. The name escapes me now. Again this was 4 years ago.

It was a good easy daily driver, even the missus liked it! Decent boot, 4 good seats, quiet, comfy, and went like stink!!

I remember driving up the A281 after work, chasing a Carrera 2. I just sat there all the way from Horsham, right on his tail. On the outskirts of Guildford he flashed the rear fogs at me and pulled over. I got out and we had a chat, he was amazed that I could stay with him, and loved the car. Dont ge me wrong, i was at 10/10ths, but he told me he was as well! Maybe he was a crap driver, i dont know, but i'll never forget that drive home!

Old 14 December 2003, 02:04 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Flightman, thanks for the further info, just what I wanted to hear, all good positive stuff. Makes me wonder why there arent more popular, possible that they are seen as a poor relation to a GTR and not worth bothering with ?
Old 14 December 2003, 02:48 PM
Roojai
Scooby Regular

Nice car, often looked upon as being the weaker brother not worth bothering with but not true. Put a good exhaust and induction kit on and you've got 280 BHP easily. Not too expensive on petrol if you take it easy. Very quick if you want. Easy to drift.
Old 14 December 2003, 02:55 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

J4CKO, yep, i think you've hit the nail on the head. Its seen as a "baby" Skyline, and while this may well be true, its a fantastic car in its own right.

Hope you find a good 'un!