Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Porsche Cayenne .. would you?

Search this Thread

Old 03 December 2003, 01:10 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just got back from lunch at the "library" (WH Smiths!) and was reading about the new entry-level 3.2 Cayenne in Auto Express. At about £35K (inc leather) I think they're now quite tempting. I know most people on here seem to hate them and it's really just a rebadged Touareg but I've seen a lot in London and I think they look the nuts, especially in grey or black. All you'd need to add is metallic and bigger alloys and you'd have a car with real presence.

Moot point for me as I've got a new E320 diesel E Class estate on order but I hate that "wish I'd gone for one of those instead" feeling! I guess I can console myself with better fuel economy and (probably) stronger residuals..

Greg
Old 03 December 2003, 01:13 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

but I've seen a lot in London and I think they look the nuts, especially in grey or black.
The same. I was impressed. Pics don't do justice.
Old 03 December 2003, 01:18 PM
NeilCH
Scooby Regular

Again mute point as I don't have a spares £35k+ laying about, but NO NO NO It has to be the ugliest thing I've seen in years.

Rgds
Neil
Old 03 December 2003, 01:34 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

It's amazing that they are making any money at £35K - but then again, very few will leave the showrooms without another 20%+ in options and some of these are incredibly high mark-up (how about £340 for footwell lights on yer Boxster! ).

After all, that price is half way between the Boxster and the Boxster S and clearly there is a heap load more of everything in a Cayenne and it *must* take more time to build.

I'd quite like a go of one, just to see what all the fuss is about. In the right colour, and particulary when lowered on the air suspension (option) they look good to me. I'd like to see a de-chromed(?) one, if that is possible.
Old 03 December 2003, 01:37 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

Seen it and LOVED it. The Touareg looks bland and a 'play it safe and boring' design compared to the Cayenne.

Gets my vote

Old 03 December 2003, 01:39 PM
golfliam
Scooby Regular

Its a VW with a different body thats why they are making money
the 3.2 is the same as the engine in the R32 new TT etc etc
Old 03 December 2003, 01:55 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

Perhaps like the Phaeton, these cars were not expected to actually make any money in the first few years.

Perhaps this is a really long term investment and payback won't arrive untill the second or third generation models...

We will never know the truth.
Old 03 December 2003, 02:10 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

Absolutely, gimme gimme gimme!!
Old 03 December 2003, 02:19 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

Really splits the love or hate vote right down the middle this car doesn't it? .. Bit of a "Marmite car" you could say (!?).

I think xenons would also be a must have on the "looking cool" front and by the time you've added a few options it'd maybe start to look pricey.

Would you chaps have gone for the base Touareg over the Merc I've ordered? (E320cdi Avantgarde Estate, with a few options)
Old 03 December 2003, 03:40 PM
New To Scoob
Scooby Regular

Cancel the German Taxi, order a Cayenne in Black with smoke tints,air suspension, de-chromed, leather etc, pay your deposit wait on it coming in then let the dealer keep it in the showroom with a P.O.A. tag on it then somebody will pay over the odds for it due to the waiting time, my old man got offered this option on his Boxster promised at least 2K mark up.

Old 03 December 2003, 03:43 PM
Bobby Peru
Scooby Regular

"Would you chaps have gone for the base Touareg over the Merc I've ordered? (E320cdi Avantgarde Estate, with a few options)"

Depnds how old you are, over 45 then go for the Merc, not old enough for an estate yet myself (30).

Now if it was an RS4, well, that's another matter!
Old 03 December 2003, 04:19 PM
gregjd
Scooby Regular

With baby number two on the way an estate was non-negotiable, unfortunately.. I'd have had enough of a job justifying a gas guzzling 4x4 over a diesel estate. Know what you mean about the Merc being an old mans car (I'm "only" 32!). I bet I end up getting it Brabus tuned or chipped at some point! I've at least ordered 17's and sports suspension. The plan is to trade the wife's Clio for a "fun" car at some point though. Image wise I quite like the Cayenne. The Merc doesn't half shift mind you and is classy, albeit in a "ladies that lunch" way.. My Missus will be driving it most of the time anyway so that's Ok I guess!

I'd be a bit cagey over the residuals on a Cayenne as opinion on them seems to be so split out there.
Old 03 December 2003, 04:26 PM
MarkCSC
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

As a total Porsche nut I hated the Cayenne when it first came out. Big, pointless, ugly thing. However I have now seen a few in the flesh (also seen how fast a Turbo can disapear when booted) and they really are growing on me.
It's different from any other SUV and I now like it's odd looks. Definately worth a test drive.

Mark
Old 03 December 2003, 05:01 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah they have grown on me as well, there are quite a few round here, not as common as an X5 but getting like that, a neighbour came over clutching the brochure as he is going to get the cheapskate version to replace his ML class Merc that he barges down the cul de sac in trying to squash kids.
Old 03 December 2003, 11:04 PM
Olly
Scooby Regular

Mum n' dad have an 'S', I drive it now and again. Undecided.

On the plus side, the performance is alarming. Handling is as good as a sorted saloon. I like the look in the flesh (theirs has the "small" 18 inch wheels and the spare on the boot: the huge wheels look ridiculous IMO). It sounds glorious.

I don't like the odd 6 speed auto 'box, which hunts around for gears way too much. Build quality is curiously rattly. The seats are hard, and there are too many silly, unnecesarry quirks such as the indicators, which flash a further 3 times after cancelling, and the interior door handle, which takes 2 pulls to open the door. Why?

Generally I like it. But I could think of better ways of blowing £50k+. Used Caterham, E55AMG and Impreza P1 (and change) would do me, thanks very much.

Old 03 December 2003, 11:36 PM
RB5_245
Scooby Regular

Met a 'S' at knockhill the other week. Drove passed it like it was stopped. Still I wouldn't be going for it in one of those either
Old 03 December 2003, 11:43 PM
Duck_Pond
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Personally, no. TBH I'd hardly ever drive it off road, and to me, it betrays the spirit of a Porsche. If I wanted a posh off-roader, with class, I'd get a Range Rover - that looks the part. The Porker doesn't - it looks top-heavy (I know it isn't btw). But I concede, it's aimed at the Americans, and it's probably a success already.

In answer to your question - "No, I'd spend the £35k on a proper Porsche."
Old 04 December 2003, 01:44 PM
Dapster
Scooby Regular

Don't be fooled by the £35k price. The standard spec and options cost on a Porsche are an absolute disgrace. I bought a 2.7 Boxster and had to pay extra for climate (£1.2k!!), alloys, xenons, cd and metallic which at the time, were all standard on my girlfriend's VW Polo GTi. You're residuals are more dependent on spec than milage/condition than most other makes of car.

Back to the question - yes or no on the Cayenne? Absolutely. If I was ever in the market for a lairy off roader, then until the Maserati is launched, this has to be the daddy.
Old 05 December 2003, 01:41 PM
mkyboy
Scooby Regular

Wink

If i was in the market for a big SUV/4X4 i pick one over the VW, Merc, Volvo or BMW etc, what badge would you want on your drive? But if you want the real DADDY try looking at the American's ie Escalade (spelling?) or Navigator. Better have shares in oil though!!!! LOL!
Old 06 December 2003, 10:32 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

Talking

Give me an X5 anyday. guy near me has a black one with tints and 22 inch chrome rims

looks stunning!!!
Old 06 December 2003, 02:05 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I'd take the Cayenne over the X5 any day, simply on image. Tints and 20" rims says it all really

Although I suppose we'll see the Porkers dressed like a drug-mobile in a short while.
Old 06 December 2003, 06:39 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If I was in the market for a school run car, er I mean 4X4 Id def consider it. I mean razzing around in a Porker or a Land Rover, Ill take the Porker. Fella over the road has one, looks pretty cool.

Also today I saw a Turbo, with reg KLF 1 - not sure if it was of the "KLF are gonna rock you" fame or not either way, it looked cool