Sponsored by:

Anyone whooped a Porsche yet ???

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2001, 04:09 PM
AutorevsActon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Was driving back from WestEnd on Saturday night 'minding my own business' when a black beefed up Porsche 928 S4 came up my **** and started flashing and taunting me.

Now i know this car is a 5.0 litre V8, so to be honest I kinda felt intimidated and didn't really want to get into a race with him. He then came next to me at the lights and started reving up his engine and nodding at me. Being the good sport that I am, I decided to give it a shot ....

We took off and were neck and neck upto 30, the Scooby then proceeded to pull away from the Porsche and a couple of bends later he was history. He tried it on two more times at the next two lights and continued getting whooped.

I then decided to let him get in front to see if he could pull away from me and he couldn't, i was on his tail like a car on tow. After having a good race I usually give the other driver a thumbs up whether i win or lose, but this chap was seriously pissed off when i pulled next to him at the following junction, didn't even want to look at me.

Anyone else whooped a Porsche ?????

Nav

PS. My car is only a UK MY96 with 'RamAir Induction Kit'
Old 09 May 2001, 04:15 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Talking

Boxsters are fair game over here but they loose aswell
Old 09 May 2001, 04:18 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Smile

I sincerely hope you're wearing your flame suit

Be very careful when rising to the bait. There are some very unorthodox unmarked police cars out there.

For the record, I do not condone racing on the public highway.

Old 09 May 2001, 04:19 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

And we take the pi55 out of Novaboys and RS drivers who boast about racing Scoob's.

Try a track day mate and save a life. Either your own or a pedestrian's.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Steve Sherwen (edited 09 May 2001).]
Old 09 May 2001, 04:20 PM
Bajie
Scooby Regular

Cool

Wurzel.

What about the Brabus Mercedes with the Taxi sign on it
Old 09 May 2001, 04:27 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

Whooped many a Porsche, but usually at the Nurburgring..............in a diesel BMW. Leave the racing for the racetrack m8!

Matt
Old 09 May 2001, 04:32 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

.....and if you are going to race Porsches on track days, please don't do it while you are anywhere near me - thanks......
Old 09 May 2001, 04:47 PM
Mulder
Scooby Regular

5 litre v8 in a porker? Strange engine to have in a porka still well done for kicking his ***!

Old 09 May 2001, 04:54 PM
AutorevsActon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

You sad muppets ......

Firstly if you read my post carefully, I was provoked and did not initiate the race !

And of course none of you have ever raced another car on a public highway !!! Yeh right !
Old 09 May 2001, 04:56 PM
Mulder
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean mate, some of the people on here are so synical and hypocritcal.

I rarely bother looking here anymore due to the miserable buggers that plague the site with there crap.
Old 09 May 2001, 05:06 PM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Don't know what it is about Porsches but seeing an Impreza is like a red rag to a bull to these guys.

Also always seems to be the older ones that try it on, do they really feel they have something to prove??

I had a 928 overtake me on a dual carriageway and in his excitement to overtake didn't realise there was a bend coming up. It looked scary enough from where I was as his back tyre was 3 inches away from the kerb at about 90 MPH let alone what it felt like in the car.

Only time I took the bait was when I had a Yellow 968 following me through Epsom. I got annoyed with him sitting 2 feet away from my bumper so when we got to a set of traffic lights and he pulled alongside I had to show him how crap his car really was (And no I am not proud of it)

JUST BECAUSE IT HAS A PORSCHE BADGE ON THE FRONT DOESN'T MEAN IT'S QUICK AND YOU OWN THE ROAD
Old 09 May 2001, 05:27 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Cool

I'm not condoning it, but I'm not being hypocrytical about it either.

For the record,

Porsche 911 Carrera 4 - nil
Diablo + UK MY99 - one

Old 09 May 2001, 06:03 PM
W9GTR
Scooby Regular

Bollox utter Bollox
Don't drive a porsche, harbour no real desire save a GT3 perhaps but I do know that a 911 carrera 4 will drive away from a UK scoob.
Get real boys and keep the tall tales for pub

Matt Oz ....u da man
Would have tanned more hide on yer Mille R tho
BTW just taken delivery of a 2001 GSXR600 feckin lurvley it is toooooo.
Steve
Old 09 May 2001, 08:21 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Talking

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by AutorevsActon:
<B>You sad muppets ......

Firstly if you read my post carefully, I was provoked and did not initiate the race !

And of course none of you have ever raced another car on a public highway !!! Yeh right ![/quote]

Please don't diss the Muppets...

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 09 May 2001).]
Old 09 May 2001, 08:36 PM
Graham Stocker
Scooby Regular

Now you mention it (Not on a public highway) On an industrial estate and on a Sunday. Porshe carrera y reg gave him 3 runs to 60mph he came last but only by 1 or 2 car lenghts. Would not fancy my chances above that speed though!. Mindyou £58. 000 and 0 to 60 4.6 pleased with that. Graham mildly tuned 95 wrx.
Old 09 May 2001, 09:19 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

My friend finally gave in and let me thrash his 996 Careera 4 ragtop last weekend.

To say it's Gutless is a bit too strong, but it lacks grunt, feels kinda like you're waiting for a turbo to spool up and it doesn't happen. My Sti walks all over it.

Feels heavy, slow witted, uncomfortable. Don't want one!

Very disappointed! i reckon a UK scoob would be on a par...

Russ
Old 09 May 2001, 09:37 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

I with Matt here - my only real experience of racing 911s was at Nurburg and whatever you say there were an awful lot of Porsche's being made to look extremely ordinary by Scoobs I think a lot depends on the weather conditions, but it does show what the Impreza is capable of (in the right hands of course).

And for the record, there is no way I would bait the sales guys at work who drive Boxsters and think they're the mutts nuts....no

Chris
Old 09 May 2001, 09:38 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Wink

Right I have a 94 WRX (mildly modified) and can say that my car was significantly faster than a 996 Carrera 2 at road speeds, can't comment on faster speeds, but round corners he was much less tidy...
Old 09 May 2001, 09:39 PM
Mr Leigh
Scooby Regular

Question

I have had many traffic light drag races and cross country blasts with lots of high performance cars, 911's, F355, XKR, TVR's, M3's and a bunch of other less quick cars on paper. I have a UK car and its not that difficult to tan a Porsche or whatever. But you have to keep things in context. I dont have a problem with "racing on the road" and will push it to my limit, some peoples limits, confidence or skill are lower. Some people buy these cars and never extract the potential from them. The only true test would be if I was driving both cars and had the same level of familiarity with them. Thats never going to happen.

W9GTR? even at a track days or Santa Pod you will see UK Subarus beating cars that are faster on paper. Magazine figures are fine on paper but in an open enviroment things change a great deal!

Old 09 May 2001, 09:43 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

Nav.
If you want to see some REAL Porsche bashing wait until the next Ring video comes out!
GT3's? Carrera 4's? Pah.....Humbug!

Steve GTR.
See above!

Stef.
PS I also save it for the track....when my car's in one piece.

[This message has been edited by Stef (edited 10 May 2001).]
Old 09 May 2001, 09:49 PM
MrData
Scooby Regular

Wink

I do it all the time....... tons of them in MK I quit before it gets silly though.

Funny how these guys never look across afterward. Especially when they've got some tart in the car

Gettin bored with it now though.

Must be terrible to own a car that cannot uphold it's own mythical reputation.

Cheers
Data
Old 09 May 2001, 09:53 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

Porsche's, eat em for breakfast, dinner and afternoon tea.

A well driven GT3 takes a lot of beating though, just a shame there arent that many well driven ones out there.

The 928 S4 is a 5 litre V8, but most are autos and are grand tourers, not track monsters like the 993's.

I was gonna buy a 928 S4 manual till i drove it, far to slow.
Old 09 May 2001, 10:20 PM
AutorevsActon
Scooby Regular

Talking

Nice response guys and fair play to not racong on public highways, i don't usually race on the roads and am far from being a boy racer. Had the car for nearly two yrs and that was the first Porsche i ever raced.

Previously owned a couple of Classic 70s British sports cars before i bought the Scoob, so i am well aware of the dangers of losing control of a powerfull machine.

Some of you guys really need to liighten up a little though, this BB is meant for intelligent discussion provoking constructive criticism, but sometimes sounds more like a bunch whinging old grannies.

Dave T-S, do you realise that you have sent more total posts to this discussion than the moderator, who has been a member far longer than you have ..... think you need to get out more m8.

Cheers

Nav
Old 09 May 2001, 10:59 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Had a race against a 911 turbo at EASTERN CREEK RACEWAY.It was a street meeting (drags) a couple of years ago in OZ when I used to own a FORD FALCON GT 5.8 L V8. Fully beefed up roller motor 560hp (engine dyno confirmed). I ran a 10.92 at 126.94mph and the 911 turbo ran a 11.917 at 113.61mph. I miss all that action over here although drag racing is just starting out here. However lots of nice winding roads here to enjoy scooby's handling. Maybe I'll have a real race against a Porsche one day.

[This message has been edited by WREXY (edited 09 May 2001).]
Old 09 May 2001, 11:04 PM
Crusty
Scooby Regular

Cool

Followed a new 996 TT onto the m/way last month, he looked behind & booted it. Must have been the dealer going for a thrash, he had me in 1st (no lag?) but by 2nd i'd caught him and he could not put any gap on me thru 3rd & 4th... found out later that it was Porsches' automatic demonstrator !! bloody quick.....
Old 10 May 2001, 12:42 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Gary,

Agreed, the the NEW porsches are blinders and I'd have one too in a second.

Anything before a 993 is not a blinder, that's for sure. Good cars, don't get me wrong, but not great (from experience, not armchair expertese).

This thread was not about what is ultimately fastest though.

D
Old 10 May 2001, 08:13 AM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Talking

Edited because I really can't be bothered to respond.......

[This message has been edited by Dave T-S (edited 10 May 2001).]
Old 10 May 2001, 08:32 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Angry

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by W9GTR:
<B>Bollox utter Bollox
Don't drive a porsche, harbour no real desire save a GT3 perhaps but I do know that a 911 carrera 4 will drive away from a UK scoob.
Get real boys and keep the tall tales for pub

Steve[/quote]

Not getting into convoluted argument here with you, but the only bollox here is your comment above.

Was there, did that, KNOW the facts. Were you?????

In the real world a 911 Carrera 4 will not *drive away from a uk scoob* , not the one I came up against anyway. Ok, so had we had the opportunity to run to max MPH then he would have been ultimately faster.

30 to ??? not much in it. Cross country he was toast.

Fact, not pub fiction.

D

[This message has been edited by Diablo (edited 10 May 2001).]
Old 10 May 2001, 09:07 AM
TRIGGER
Scooby Regular

I have run my Sti alongside a 911 (996) upto top speeds (or thereabouts) and I was pulling away at the top. He was quick between 100-120 odd, but no faster than me.

I do not approve generally of racing on the roads - but most people do it dont they ?

Racing on Trackdays isnt allowed is it...?
Old 10 May 2001, 09:17 AM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

I expect if I had a spanking new £90K Porsche I wouldn't throw it around and take the same risks as I would in a £10K '98 Scooby.

Always makes me laugh when Scooby owners claim they spanked Ferraris and the like on the track.. Of course you did, the owner is driving around in the equivalent value of 2 small houses.

Quick Reply: Anyone whooped a Porsche yet ???