Last Weekend at the Ring

Search this Thread

Old 02 October 2001, 06:00 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Right,

Unfortunately Mr. Felstead was unable to attend the delights of the Nurburgring this weekend. Therefore there will be no Felstead novel this time round In no way am I going to try to emulate Mr.F's eloquent ramblings, but I'll try and give you guys a little flavour of what happened .......................

Luckily I had the week off work, preceeding the trip, and was able to prep the car thoroughly! I washed it twice , and put the spare set of brake pads in the boot for the third trip running! I just don't understand how I'm still on the original pads after 3 Ring trips and 33,000 miles! Still, I'm not grumbling.

Thursday morning came, and Pete (EVO Pete from the Evo forum) and I set off for Dover from my pad in the Midlands. We had a fairly uneventful run down to the coast to meet up with the others. There had been a security alert at Dover, and the port was apparently shut. However, by the time we arrived, it was opened again, and the 4 mile tailback had cleared. Three cars, Rich Squire in his 22B, Harj in his ITR, and me in my 330D boarded the Seacat and made our way to the bar. Also joining us as passengers were Rich Askew and Mel.

We met up with Rich R in Calais in his new(ish) Evo 7, and then set off for the Ring. The trip was probably the quickest we have done, and was despatched in about 4.5 hours including a stop for some pizza. We all agreed that a small number of cars was needed for speedy progress, as this journey has take ages in the past. Having settled into our respective hotels, we made the customary visit to the Lindenhof for a couple of beers, followed by some more beer, and then a little more beer. Hic

Friday dawned a lovely day, and cars were washed in preparation for the opening of the track in the afternoon. We watched a Porsche Driver training day, and judging by the state of some of the cars coming back on the transporter, the drivers could benefit from a little more! Funniest moment was a Porsche GT3 driver backing into another 911 in the car park. D'oh! Still, I suppose it could have been worse.

We managed to get onto the circuit at about 17:00 for a couple of hours, and basically everyone agreed to take it easy on the first lap. This lasted for about 2km of the 20km circuit, and then any kind of decorum and restraint disappeared. We were like big kids going back to our favourite playground! I was having a fantastic time, until a biker nearly became the new BMW logo on my bonnet Still, we managed to avoid each other, and he put out his hand in apology, so that was cool. Firday night was again spent on the pop in the Lindenhof. The other gang of Scoobynetters arrived that night, and had met up with some more Brits on the way. There was a gaggle of Scoobs, another Evo 7, a Porsche 993RS and a Ferrari F355. Nice noisy convoy!

Saturday was again Bright in the morning, and heavy heads were lightened by some excellent track time, and some strong coffee. I had a couple of blinding laps, one of which was spent following/keeping up with a GT3 Porsche until the power sapping rise uphill after Bergwerk to the Caroussel. I could really do with about an extra 200 bhp there!

Then the rain came down, and I took Ben Lovejoy out for a lap. It was fairly slow, and we had time to notice that the traction control light on the Beemer only flashes at you once you have corrected the slide and the car is going straight again. Durrrr! On Saturday night, some of the gang went karting, whilst others just went for some grub. We all met up again in the Fuchsrohre bar and restaurant, that Sabine owns and runs. Sabine, for those of you who don't know, drives the Ring taxi (BMW M5) and regularly turns in 8min10s laps with four people on board! We didn't leave there until 5a.m. Enough said!

Sunday was wet to start, with some parts of the track being bone dry, and others wet. The only problem was that the wet sections were that horrible greasy, damp surface, that you really cannot fathom until you're either sliding around on it, or passing over it without incident. Still, I was managing laps in under 9 mins, so that was fine by me. I had a lap with MRK, and we followed the Ring taxi for most of the lap. It's on video, and I hope that it comes out. I was v.impressed by Marks Scoob , and that fact that the passengers were only just getting out of the M5 as we came back into the car park was testament to a storming lap. Mid 8s I reckon.

Unfortunately, there was a big one on Sunday afternoon that closed the track for the rest of the day. We know one of the guys involved, and all I can say is that I hope he gets better soon.

On Sunday night, more karting took place for the fitter members of the gang ( and Harj ) whilst others watched the US Grand Prix. Again, we met up in the Fuchsrohre afterwards, and enjoyed a couple of beers.

Monday was spent on the road and the fairly rough Seacat crossing back to Dover. I nearly woofed my cookies on the boat, but managed to keep it down!! LOL. Felt a little rough on the M20, but coming up the M1 things got better! Had a Little Thief supper, and then trolled home.............................

Thanks to all those who made the trip. Rich S, Rich R and Rich A, the three Dicks! Harj, Mark, Sandy, Shaun, Faye, James, Linda, Mel, Pete, Andy, Andy, Steve, etc etc.

Lets hope the next one is as good as this one was.

Cheers
Matt

Old 02 October 2001, 06:16 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Sorry I missed most of you guys

I briefly saw Rich Squire, but after that managed to be in other places ...

You nearly ran over me at the car park roundabout BTW Matt after we checked out the "one hour job" Tony Q was doing swapping his turbo

I met up with Theo M. and Mark V., and we decided to go and watch at Adenauer Forst. We knew a little road that would lead us there without the 30 minute walk, a bit muddy mind, but we all drove Scoobs ... 4WD right ? ... and Mark was a rally driver after all, so ...

Long story short, it only took us about 45 minutes to get Mark out of the mud again We backtracked and decided to go and watch at Brunnchen.

I saw DocJock a couple of times, but everytime he was just leaving for a blast around the circuit ...

Sat evening we wanted to go to the Fuchsrohre, but Sabine told us there were no places left ... someone had booked most of the tables. We cursed those damn greedy people and left (only to realise later that it was probably the Ringers list guys and you lot )

Oh well, at least the steak was great at Gasthaus Weber

Better luck next time.

Theo
Old 02 October 2001, 07:01 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

What a weekend, the ITR certainly went well with the new tyres

Brilliant crowd with some lovely ladies I even had my shirt being ripped from me on Saturday night by some lovely ladies who were just mad for me LOL

Some great laps with Docjock in the wet, Mat in his Beemer while sipping my sherry and of course Squire in the 22B which he had certainly mastered by the end of the weekend, such a shame about the bikers who came off and deepest sympathies to the German Riders family who died.

NOTES to all who go to the Ring!!!!

DO NOT DRINK UNTIL 5AM

DO NOT LET RICH RUBERY TACKLE YOUR ********* WITH A SALT AND PEPPER HOLDER

DO NOT STUB CIGARETTES OUT ON PEOPLE AS THEY DO! GET YOU BACK

DO NOT USE HARD WEARING PADS IN YOUR CAR AS YOUR WEEKEND COULD BE OVER BEFORE IT STARTS

ALWAYS TAKE A SPARE TURBO AS TONY QUINN FOUND OUT

DO NOT LET SOME ENGLISH GUY NAMED BARRY PRETEND HE'S GERMAN SO HE CAN TRY AND PULL A BIRD THAT HE'S GOT NO CHANCE WITH

DO NOT LET RUBERY FOLLOW YOU OUT ON A LAP AS HE WILL ONLY STUFF HIS EVO 7 lol

ALWAYS GIVE RICH SQUIRE A KEY TO THE HOTEL SO HE DOESN'T HAVE TO SLEEP IN HIS CAR AGAIN lol

DO NOT LET SOME LITTLE FRENCH BIRD HOLD YOU UP AT CARTING AND THEN SMASH INTO HER (Still in Pain)

DO NOT GO NEAR SABINE AS SHE'S TAKEN

Erm I think thats about it until the next AWESOME Trip

Harj.....

Old 02 October 2001, 07:32 PM
Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down

I'm glad you all had a good trip, I'll be there for the next one - I hope!

Sorry to Matt for calling him on his mobile half way round the track I thought you were coming down the pub with Shaun and crowd but you were obviously busy elswhere

And while you were all having fun I was, er, shopping not quite the same is it.

Thanks also to Simo for the offer of a space on the trip. It was tempting but sadly I had no leave left for this year.

BTW how did Shaun get on with his slipping clutch?

F
Old 02 October 2001, 08:05 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Well what can I say, think it's been covered mostly.....

I did notice there was an excessive amount of sleeping in cars going on

Theo I saw you talking to RS but then I missed you later (Easter trip buddy)

Harj awesome lap in the Teg big man, I was well impressed. I have informed wifey that the Daewoo is a goner (BTW your list missed out DONT SNORT BLACK PEPPER lol )

I had some great laps, especially when it rained and the bikers f***ed off home. Managed two without being overtaken one wet, one dry.

Some good passenger laps with Harj and Andy and Greg (even when we had that *moment* in MY CAR !!!)

Oh yeah, anyone wanting a copy of *that video* mail me your address

DJ

Old 02 October 2001, 08:59 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Wink

Two copies and a box of Kleenex please John! LOL
Old 02 October 2001, 09:45 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Wink

ROFLMAO

Shouldn't that be *one copy and two boxes of Kleenex* ?
Old 02 October 2001, 11:27 PM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

Wink

Matt - great novel

Sounds like I missed a good one, shame Glad you all had a good time and made it back in one piece

Sal
Old 03 October 2001, 12:41 AM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

Cool

...hhrrraaahhh cairo!!.....brrr poisonous monkey

Nice one peepsicles top week away yet again....I have a feeling that this one might just have been the bestest one yet

Harj - next one for your list is do not pass out and let Rich Rubery take you vigorously from behind over the sofa...eerrr or was that just me?? I'll get me coat ROFL

Hoorah to all the dancing girlies what leapt around the Fuchsrohre on Sunday night...hoorah for strong germanic lager

Roll on the next one amigos, tis gonna be even better.... the new car is well and truelly on its way -

Cheers to Matt for letting me drive the BMW,Squire for the 22B and to Rubery for letting me hoon around in the EVO 7 ... top work Ring Monkies
Old 03 October 2001, 01:05 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Talking

It certainly was a wicked weekend. And many fun laps spent spinning around in the wet.

I've written my novel and you can get it here
Old 03 October 2001, 04:51 PM
MattOz
Scooby Regular

Cool

No problems gents. Mon Plaisir! Mark, I know that there is at least another 15 seconds to knock off that 8:30 next year, so we'll give it a bash.

Askew - Do you mean it was just you taking Harj over the sofa in the pimp suite, or was Rubery involved too?! LOL!

Finally, to sum up the weekend, this must be said in a Rowley Birkin voice - "I'm sure I should remember more you know, but you seeeeeee ........ I was Very, Very Drunk!"

Matt
Old 03 October 2001, 06:44 PM
Rich_R
Scooby Regular

Following advice from my solicitor I can't really comment too much on the comments made above. Needless to say, Askew, Oz and Singh will have time to reflect upon their ill chosen words at her majesty's pleasure

Anyway top trip yet again - even better than the last!

Saturday night was one to remember. Plenty of beer, vodka redbull, Tequilla, Beer, vodka and tequilla in 1 glass (yummy ), whisky and cigars, not to mention a good snorting of black pepper. All that served with some family sized funbags - what more could you want LOL

...Oh and tearing round the ring was fun too

Rich.
Old 03 October 2001, 10:25 PM
Andrew Timmins
Scooby Regular

Smile

Fantastic trip again, some familiar faces and a few new ones too. Really friendly and fun atmosphere the whole time. More people should make the effort to attend next year, words cannot describe the amount of fun these trips can be.

Being a passenger with Rich Rubery in his Evo 7 whilst following Harj in the 'teg was an "experience" when we pulled onto the grass going down the Foxhole to overtake slower traffic

See you all again soon.

Andrew
Old 04 October 2001, 05:14 AM
rsquire
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Finally arrived "home" Knackered

Again a Bril trip... Highlights waaaaaay too many to mention on a public forum

All I can say is the 22B is really cozy to sleep in.. and I demand a rebate from "She who must be obeyed" at the Zur Burge

That'll teach her

Roll on Easter

Richard
Old 04 October 2001, 03:16 PM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Wink

Once again snubbed by work for the ring trip

Sounds like I missed a good one.

Easter will definitely be a go and who knows Little Miss might even get a go on the ring

By then she *should* be running to how I want her, and what better test than to take her round the ultimate track!!!!!!

I cannot wait.

Michelle.

Who says girls can't drive? You haven't driven with me