Notices
Other Marques Non-Subaru Vehicles

Mini Cooper S

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2003, 06:17 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone driven or owned one. Im thinking about getting one as a runabout to the Evo. Would be interested to hear about performance, build quality,comfort etc etc

Oh yeh and any performance kits (works), forum websites etc, basically any useful info

Thanks

Jono
Old 20 November 2003, 07:09 PM
dr_ming
Scooby Regular

Driven one extensively, not my car either, so tested to the limit, so to speak . Handling is fantastic, the twisties will put a big grin on your face. It does, however, sometimes struggle to put its 164 BHP onto the road, even with the traction control on, and I don't find it the most relaxing car to drive in the wet (tugs a lot at the wheel). IMHO, In some ways the Cooper is a more rewarding drive. The engine is no great shakes (it is basically the lump out of a Chrysler Neon, after all), supercharger at least helps it to breathe properly though. Gearbox is basically good (quick synchros), although the linkage is a bit stiff and clunky. The handling more than makes up for it though.

One more thing, it's only for driving. Forget having adults in the rear seats, or any luggage in the boot (there's not even room for a spare tyre in the Cooper S, 'cos the battery lives where the wheel should go! It is a fun car!
Old 20 November 2003, 07:32 PM
wannbe scooby
Scooby Newbie

Try www.mini2.co.uk.
Old 20 November 2003, 08:18 PM
misty
Scooby Regular

I bought one new in 2002, ran it for six months and part exed it for a scoob! Mini handling brilliant, traction in dry ok(17"), wet, traction control always cutting in, turn it off, big wheelspin. Engine, the whine from the supercharger gets on your **** on a run, but they pull well enough for the power (165bhp) Brakes not as good as my Prodrives on the scoob but not bad. Looks good (dark silver), 5yrs warranty and sevice, But the biggest let down is the boot and the amount of room in the rear. There is none, unless your an amputee!!
dave
Old 20 November 2003, 11:24 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers peeps thanks for the info. Im just after a runabout to be honest so theres not really much competition when it comes to the Evo i have. Just want a good sturdy car with good handling, after all BMW built the new one so i thought the build quality would be very good.

Jono
Old 21 November 2003, 07:54 AM
TVR Gary
Scooby Regular

cooper S cabriolet on order for the missis ... £500 down and wait another year till its ours
Old 21 November 2003, 08:08 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Nice cars agree with all the comments. The prob is they are v pricey when you spec them out - you get carried away with the extras and then find this reasonably priced 14.5k motor has turned into a £20k monstrosity that's looking hard to justify its price.

3 solutions

1. get a poverty spec
2. get a second hand one for 16k
3. get a clio cup for 10k (and cross your fingers)

I opted for number 3 though cos me mums got the mini so I get to drive both . Clio is more fun to drive.

[Edited by wilf - 11/21/2003 8:09:39 AM]
Old 21 November 2003, 12:53 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Top Gear recently done a show on kits, IIRC....

John Cooper Works kit £18k - 200ish bhp (keep warranty)
Hartage Kit - 200ish BHP - (no warranty)
<Can't remember name(??Digitec??)> 274bhp 17k (no warranty)

I sure someone can firm up the details as my memory seems to be completely shot
Old 21 November 2003, 02:25 PM
Reffro
Scooby Regular

274bhp is the new BBR conversion which is £15k for the conversion alone.
Old 21 November 2003, 02:31 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

, memory totally gone then
Old 21 November 2003, 06:00 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

The Hartge conversion comes with a 1 year warranty...

Mine Hartge with full Milltek Exhaust has 243hp and cost me well under 20k with a fully speeced car,17's, 1/2 Leather Xenons, CD, Auto Aircon etc etc.

My car is a year old now, 17k miles and hasnt really dropped in value, the dealer also services my car under the TLC package without any problem...
Old 21 November 2003, 06:12 PM
Rich and Mini
Scooby Regular

The Hartge may have a years warrenty on it's engine modifications, but it won't cover anything else.

The S generally has fewer problems reliability wise compared to the One and Cooper, we don't have many Ss in for warrenty work.

The Works kit means you get to keep the BMW warrenty and is meant to be the best kit in terms of usability, even if it isn't quite the quickest. Knocks around a second off the 0-60 sprint and generally adds poke everywhere. The supercharger whine gets even louder with the Works kit, which can only be a good thing in my eyes!

If you're buying second hand, check any recalls needed have been done (ring the dealer who sold the car new with the reg to check this) and whether there are any still to be done. Try and find one with A/C, 17s and clear rear lights (which are N.L.A at the moment). Bin the runflat tyres if you're after better grip and a better ride.

Rich
Old 21 November 2003, 06:28 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

The Hartge may have a years warrenty on it's engine modifications, but it won't cover anything else
Anything other than the engine is covered by the usual BMW 3 yrs warranty...
Old 21 November 2003, 06:40 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
Only an idiot would go for the Hartge conversion- you lose the benefit of the TLC pack and the information given here about warranty is questionable at best- go onto a mini BBS for confirmation of that.

I'd get down to Ferring and buy a proper Cooper S from the John Cooper Garage. Then you'll have a true classic that won't depreciate in the end unlike the Hartge.
Old 21 November 2003, 07:09 PM
Rich and Mini
Scooby Regular

I doubt that very much angrybeats, BMW would just argue things have gone **** up early 'coz of the extra stress put on components 'coz of the extra power. Interior would still be covered, but suspension/brakes/electrics wouldn't.

Nacro, proper Minis depreciate too, friend is selling his W plate Anthracite Mini Cooper S for £5500, and it's mint with not many miles. It cost him around £13k. And it's slower than my £2k jobbie.

Heh

Rich
Old 21 November 2003, 07:28 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Nacro there you go again bet your staying into tonight posting on a forum a load of bollocks again and commenting on something you know nothing about, :-)

The fact that the Hartge are huge and reputable BMW tuning company which included in their TUV approved conversion, a 1 yr unlimited mileage engine warranty and in the warranty they also say that they will pay for anything that fails that can be put down to the engine modification...

With my dealer my TLC package has not been voided, the dealer is well aware of my modifications and has replaced a drivebelt and tensioner assy and has serviced it without any problems at all, you just need to get on with your dealer...

Out the thousands of conversions all ready carried-out there has not been any reported problems that could be put down to the pulley change, the fact that the stock internals can be used in the JCW proves the car can take it..

The fact I have a car which has suspension, brake, exhaust, and engine tuned at a fraction of the cost of the rip off JCW engine only conversion...

I'm sure you will say the same to the Scooby owners on here who have gone for aftermarket tuning companies rather than the offical rip off conversions..

Still driving the old nail, you know the dog basket ?
Old 21 November 2003, 07:57 PM
Rich and Mini
Scooby Regular

angrybeats, fair enough mate, s'pose it depends how well you know the dealer. I'm not sure the dealer I work for would fork out for something that could be blamed on an aftermarket modification, but then they wouldn't have to if Hartge will pay for it

I wouldn't call the Works kit a rip off, but it is more expensive than the others, but then most/all the mags say it drives nicer than just about all the other conversions!! That supercharger whine is almost as addictive as straight cut drops! I got to get me some of them for my VTS

Rich

Old 22 November 2003, 11:37 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Location: Your home is worthless.You can't afford to run your car.Your job is on the line.Schadenfreude rules.
quote: "Still driving the old nail, you know the dog basket ?"

Do you mean my Impreza? Yes I still have it and it's about to be joined by a lovely concours condition E30 M3.

I guess you have a problem with the fact you have an inferior car compared to a proper Works Cooper. Still I guess if you can only afford the inferior product it's a compromise you have to make. You bite very easily don't you .
Old 22 November 2003, 01:23 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

Ohhhh forgot you like to spout off about how much money you earn...

Why not spend your vast weatlh and something worth bragging about, as your not impressing anyone with the cars you own at the moment, impressing is something you are clearly trying to do, think it will get you more friends / respect or something ? Your failing miserably I'm afraid, suppose your misses want a conservatory ??. I have a car that I enjoy.

:-)

Anyway back on topic, you pays your money you takes your choice, I spent more or less the JCW conversion cost on my car, thing is mine is far faster, sounds and stops better and round a track is a tad slower than the 270hp BBR car which cosy 15k alone for the conversion...

The forum at http://www.mini2.com is worth a visit as various owners of tuned MINI's can give your their feedback too...

Old 22 November 2003, 01:51 PM
NACRO
BANNED

so you couldn't afford a proper one then?

Make do with second best, shame you didn't wait and get a proper one, something that will haunt you throughout your ownership of the inferior product no doubt. Just face facts you bought the wrong car and have difficulty admitting it

BTW Nobody but a sad to55er (like you presumably as you own a Hartge Mini) buys a car for its image or to impress, I buy them for what they can do, how they drive and whether I can get entertainment out of them on track. I would never buy a car on credit either.

Old 22 November 2003, 02:04 PM
Student Phil
Scooby Regular

I have a 53 plate Cooper. Reasonable spec (half leather, 17s, chilli pack, clear lights, tints, air con etc) cost £14k. Its an excellent car. Nippy if not fast, handles amazingly, looks good and holds its value. I have never driven an S but have heard many people say that the Cooper can be just as much fun to drive. Hence, my adivce to you would be to go for a Cooper if its only a second car and save yourself 3k. When you want the performance, you have an Evo waiting!
Old 22 November 2003, 02:35 PM
mn_angrybeats
Scooby Regular

I buy them for what they can do, how they drive and whether I can get entertainment out of them on track. I would never buy a car on credit either.
Tut Tut your baseball cap clouding your judgement again Hypcryte Nacro...

So you havent even driven a Hartge or Cooper S Works and base your opinion the Official Works conversion is better than the Hartge as is more expensive and yet then you say that you don't buy a car on credit.

So I was wrong to spend the same money as a JCW on my Hartge car even though it handles better, stops better and is far faster..yet again you do what you do best and talk bollocks.

Old 22 November 2003, 03:35 PM
NACRO
BANNED

What makes you think I haven't driven the Cooper S Works?
The price has nothing to do with it, the Works conversion is just superior in terms of all round ownership.

Haven't driven the Hartge however it is clearly an inferior all round package as well as lacking the class of the offical conversion and losing the warranty benefits, despite your bad advice about relying on relationships with individual dealers.

The Hartge is the inferior vehicle as an ownership prospect and anyone who matters concurs with my opinion. Apart from some sad muppet like you who wastes his time on a forum dedicated to a marque he despises of course.

You have the inferior car end of story, anyone with half a brain gets the Works. Learn to live with it.
Old 22 November 2003, 05:48 PM
Luke
BANNED

Wink

Tampon anyone????
Old 22 November 2003, 06:58 PM
NACRO
BANNED

Nah- I'm just winding this Impreza hating to55er up, it doesn't take much . Unlike him I'm able to put aside my prejudices and recognise a good car when I see one.

The Hartge is a good car, certainly better than a standard S, It's just that the Works is the real deal, is better engineered,retains the TLC package and warranty, has the benefit of the Cooper Garages connection and costs very little more when you factor in servicing and depreciation costs. Put simply it's the better car. My advice to anyone after a fast BMW Mini, as I said before is to get down to Ferring and talk to the nice people at John Cooper Garages and buy one from them.
As I said only an idiot or someone with severe financial restraints opts for the Hartge.
Old 22 November 2003, 07:03 PM
Rich and Mini
Scooby Regular

You don't have to go to Cooper Garages to have the kit fitted, you can order it through your nearest BMW dealer, they'll fit it too...

If you've got the cash, go for the genuine article, it'll be easier to sell too.

Rich
Old 23 November 2003, 09:56 AM
NACRO
BANNED

Nice to have the car supplied and converted by the top blokes at Ferring though-will further add to the cars desireability when/if you come to sell it.